The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 3, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #5,311 of 28,989
*puts popcorn down*

BTW everybody-I purchased a WA5-LE to pair with the HD800s, and should be arriving this week. Can anyone suggest any tubes that are known to mate well with this amp and the Senns?

Dubstep Girl-maybe your WA2 suggestions transfer over well to the WA5-or not? I know you're always talking up the GEC 6****...

FWIW, I am receiving the stock tubes as well as the upgraded tubes that Woo provided to the original seller.

-Daniel

Sep 4, 2013 at 2:21 AM Post #5,313 of 28,989
*puts popcorn down*

BTW everybody-I purchased a WA5-LE to pair with the HD800s, and should be arriving this week. Can anyone suggest any tubes that are known to mate well with this amp and the Senns?

Dubstep Girl-maybe your WA2 suggestions transfer over well to the WA5-or not? I know you're always talking up the GEC 6****...

FWIW, I am receiving the stock tubes as well as the upgraded tubes that Woo provided to the original seller.

-Daniel
:evil:. Hand over the bha1. Cant wait for your impressions on the WA5-LE

Sep 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM Post #5,314 of 28,989
evil_smiley.gif
. Hand over the bha1. Cant wait for your impressions on the WA5-LE

Wish I could have kept it. :/ Great amp-will be sorely missed. It's pretty difficult imo to find an ss amp that mates well with the HD800s. The Bryston, although not quite ideal-worked well enough to my ears-but I know from experience the higher end tube stuff seems to work wonders with the Senns more than any ss I've heard. Will definitely be posting impressions of the Woo-mainly in comparison to the ZDSE and Bryston-since those are the best amps I've owned so far. Should arrive this weekend.

-Daniel

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #5,315 of 28,989
  *puts popcorn down*

-Daniel

WA5 - try EML or Mighty 596 rectifiers, and the best 6SN7 and 300B u can find. 

btw, i was just about to post this, but i think its more appropriate now than ever.

i just got Zana Deux #11 that i was going to try out before i decide to buy or not.

well i'm listening right now comparing it to the WA2 with GEC 6AS7G and OMG.....the sound is almost IDENTI-fking-CAL!!!#!@#

like the zana has a little more treble but warmer in the mids, but its almost identical to the GEC with the WA2. i'm kinda shocked. they sound equal and i think performance-wise, right on par, no difference. maybe the ZD has slightly blacker background, can't tell difference, and maybe slightly better separation/soundstage, but its so small, i don't even think theres a difference.

the zana is amazingly good since i know how i rave about the GEC/WA2, but the fact that its identical just goes to show how good the GEC tubes are 
biggrin.gif
 (this is with sophia 6sl7 on the ZD as well)

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #5,316 of 28,989

*puts popcorn down*

-Daniel

WA5 - try EML or Mighty 596 rectifiers, and the best 6SN7 and 300B u can find. 

btw, i was just about to post this, but i think its more appropriate now than ever.

i just got Zana Deux #11 that i was going to try out before i decide to buy or not.

well i'm listening right now comparing it to the WA2 with GEC 6AS7G and OMG.....the sound is almost IDENTI-fking-CAL!!!#!@#

like the zana has a little more treble but warmer in the mids, but its almost identical to the GEC with the WA2. i'm kinda shocked. they sound equal and i think performance-wise, right on par, no difference. maybe the ZD has slightly blacker background, can't tell difference, and maybe slightly better separation/soundstage, but its so small, i don't even think theres a difference.

the zana is amazingly good since i know how i rave about the GEC/WA2, but the fact that its identical just goes to show how good the GEC tubes are 
biggrin.gif
 (this is with sophia 6sl7 on the ZD as well)

popcorn.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #5,317 of 28,989
Give the Zana some time DS. I remember when I first had it for a while, I thought it was no different from most amps I tried. Then it eventually dawned on me and opened my ears. It's all about the subtleties with EC amps. The things you mentioned are the obvious stuff...then once you get acclimated to it, you go back to prior amps and realize what was missing. Inner details galore, microdynamics, dynamic shifts within those inner details...etc etc. Not saying your WA2 doesn't do that (no idea, I haven't heard it)-but I know EC amps have a ton of subtle things going on that take a while to recognize-then it's obvious going back to lesser amps. My .02.

-Daniel

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:17 PM Post #5,318 of 28,989
i just hear a slightly blacker background, the soundstage is a little wider, and theres a little more separation, a little more forward mids, a lighter sound, partly cause the mids are a little more forward and/or the ZD is a little faster.

the WA2 is a little more laid back, and while the soundstage is similar, seems like the WA2 just sounds a little more compressed, but its subtle, very subtle, it might even be placebo.

i never heard amps sound so identical. the tonality, the bass, the overall sound signature, its sooo similar. 

transparency, detail, resolution, tonality, euphonics, warmth, bass, extension, treble, its all so identical. its scary, i didn't think they would be like this, i thought ZD was gonna be night and day or something. i didn't expect the ZD to be this warm either.

now of course, if the WA2 was stock, without all the upgraded tubes, it would be no comparison, the ZD would completely destroy it. without the GEC tubes, the WA2 just can't compare.

either way, i think i'm gonna place my deposit on the MK2 tomorrow morning. 
and get an upper woo in the future or just keep the WA2 i love so much.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:29 PM Post #5,319 of 28,989
now with the TH-900, there was some crazy synergy going on, very good, but i don't think i'll keep it. i'm placing order for GSX MK2 tomorrow for LCD-3/HE-500. keeping the woos for now.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #5,320 of 28,989
 and get an upper woo in the future or just keep the WA2 i love so much.

Can I be no. 1 in line to pick up the WA2 from you if you do decide to sell it?

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #5,321 of 28,989
I'm telling you-don't judge the Zana that quick...it literally took me months to come to grips with it. At one point I thought it SOUNDED IDENTICAL to my Eximus built it headamp. I can tell by your description so far that you haven't come close to understanding the Zana. I hope that doesn't come across rude-like you're hearing wrong or something lol-but if there was EVER an amp that needed to be LIVED with for a while to come to terms with it's finest, subtlest nuances-the Zana is it.

Glad it sounds good to you now though. Just don't sell yourself short of learning what it really can do. Everything else I've heard sounds like **** in comparison-as those subtlies that I finally acclimated to are pretty much non-exestent.

Should be VERY interesting hearing the WA5-LE this weekend and seeing how it compares to the ZDSE. Stock and upgraded tube package btw...

-DAniel

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #5,322 of 28,989
  I'm telling you-don't judge the Zana that quick...it literally took me months to come to grips with it. At one point I thought it SOUNDED IDENTICAL to my Eximus built it headamp. I can tell by your description so far that you haven't come close to understanding the Zana. I hope that doesn't come across rude-like you're hearing wrong or something lol-but if there was EVER an amp that needed to be LIVED with for a while to come to terms with it's finest, subtlest nuances-the Zana is it.

Glad it sounds good to you now though. Just don't sell yourself short of learning what it really can do. Everything else I've heard sounds like **** in comparison-as those subtlies that I finally acclimated to are pretty much non-exestent.

Should be VERY interesting hearing the WA5-LE this weekend and seeing how it compares to the ZDSE. Stock and upgraded tube package btw...

-DAniel

Looking forward to this comparison. My $ is on the WA5-LE. 
smile.gif

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:53 PM Post #5,324 of 28,989

-DAniel

i don't have time to keep it lol, some1 wants to buy it and just for the HD 800, being almost extra

and your description of the zana sounds just like what i would say about the Beyerdynamic T1 and the WA2. 

but umm, no, i do notice its slightly better, but its sooo small, such a tiny tiny difference, i can't really say its better, or that i'm 100% sure i actually hear it. then again. mostly seems like the midrange is more forward maybe a little more plapable and separated, the WA2 slightly more laid back, but its such a small difference, i don't think its worth it. its basically identical, i can't really even say they sound different, and i've never had this happen to me, i always hear a difference. its so small, i can't justify it, at least not now, if i was rich, i'd probably just keep the Zana for the hell of it, it looks like a really cool amp too.

if i had a stock or even a 5998'd WA2, i wouldn't think twice about it, the WA2 would be boxed up, and sold right now. it would be no match, thats how much of an improvement the GEC tubes are with HD 800. its HUGE!!!!!

and i do think very highly of the zana now. lemme tell you, i HATED balancing act, it was very bright with HD 800, sounded too analytical, and was bland with TH-900. i heard more clarity and neutrality, but i didn't like it. i don't know if it was the stock tubes, but it really didn't wow me. i was expecting this when i heard zana, some very crystal clear sound thats bright and fast. and i was shocked to hear warmth, euphonic midrange, and such beautiful tube sound, the same sound i have with WA2/GEC, that was really surprising. and i haven't said it yet, but the HD 800/WA2 is the best i've heard so far, i don't really use my HE-500, TH-900, or even the LCD-3, i just switch between HD 800 and T1 cause the HD 800 especially sounds so good with the WA2, such perfect tonality and transparency, the smoothness, it just is so close to being perfect. and to have the ZD do that, shows thats its really good. right out of the box, its as good as a WA2 with rare and expensive tubes.

Sep 4, 2013 at 9:58 PM Post #5,325 of 28,989
  I'm telling you-don't judge the Zana that quick...it literally took me months to come to grips with it. 

I'm assuming you will spend more than a single weekend to judge the WA5-LE right?

Quote:

-DAniel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back