The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #5,251 of 28,989
Quote:
I was first to message the WA5-LE guy
very_evil_smiley.gif
...I think.
confused.gif
 Offered payment...just waiting to hear back now. Does anyone with experience know which tube sets he has listed that should work best with the HD800?

-Daniel

you know why the link is dead? maybe this should be a pm? 

Sep 2, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #5,252 of 28,989
Quote:
I heard the stratus & liquid gold? which ever is the newer one at the same meet. The stratus sounded very good but had tubes in it that made it bright as hell. I asked Donald to put the stock tubes in and it sounded much better to me but not as smooth as the liquid gold. But I can only assume if it had Sophia Princess tubes which everyone w/ a hd800 seems to say are a match w/ them.

Hi, may I know which meet did you hear them from? I wonder if the Stratus was fitted with EML 2A3 tube which could make the Stratus a bit too aggressive and upfront with HD800.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #5,256 of 28,989
No hard feelings my friend! It is trial and error for sure though, I did have to experiment a bit, but on first listen i knew it was special.

The problem with the HE adaptor is that it's 8-10 ohms and made for the Hifiman orthos whereas the HD800 is 300 ohm and a dynamic.

I didn't know the resitance inside the HiFiMan box. That would definitely change the response of the HD800.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #5,257 of 28,989
Hi, may I know which meet did you hear them from? I wonder if the Stratus was fitted with EML 2A3 tube which could make the Stratus a bit too aggressive and upfront with HD800.

Staten Island in April

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #5,259 of 28,989
It's not going to pump 400 watts into the headphones though. Just need to be careful with volume control lol.
Quote:
Yes, I have done just that using an HE adaptor off of my hypex NCore amps using a BAT VK-52SE pre-amp. It sounded very, very good. I never had the sack to hook it straight to the speaker taps on a 400 watt amp though.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #5,261 of 28,989
On another note and back down to earth.. got a chance to try out the CSP 2+ today with the HD800.  Initially, meh.. a little fuller sounding over the Lyr until we put my Amperex Orange Globes in and then Wow! We had it running through my Uber Bifrost and with the OG's, it was really nice.  Fuller/richer sounding with great detail, less grain but still a little sharp on top.  We had it all wired up with Carads Clear Light cables (my buddy is a Cardas nut) but when we went back to my Audioquest cables, it smoothed out the top end with little sacrifice to detail and soundstage.  Whatever, I'll never spend that much on cables.

Anyway, he was impressed with the Lyr, or should I say, my tube collection so I sold the lot. He'll probably sell the Lyr and keep the best tubes.  Easy sale for me. I have the Woo WA7 (with upgraded tubes)  coming in (it's in transit right now) and if it's anything like the CSP 2+, an incremental but nice upgrade in sound, I'll be a very happy camper. Until then, I'm running the HD800 off my DragonFly.
Waiting on the WA7...
popcorn.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #5,262 of 28,989
The right tubes make the CSP2+ sing with the HD800's!

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #5,263 of 28,989
On another note and back down to earth.. got a chance to try out the CSP 2+ today with the HD800.  Initially, meh.. a little fuller sounding over the Lyr until we put my Amperex Orange Globes in and then Wow! We had it running through my Uber Bifrost and with the OG's, it was really nice.  Fuller/richer sounding with great detail, less grain but still a little sharp on top.  We had it all wired up with Carads Clear Light cables (my buddy is a Cardas nut) but when we went back to my Audioquest cables, it smoothed out the top end with little sacrifice to detail and soundstage.  Whatever, I'll never spend that much on cables.

Anyway, he was impressed with the Lyr, or should I say, my tube collection so I sold the lot. He'll probably sell the Lyr and keep the best tubes.  Easy sale for me. I have the Woo WA7 (with upgraded tubes)  coming in (it's in transit right now) and if it's anything like the CSP 2+, an incremental but nice upgrade in sound, I'll be a very happy camper. Until then, I'm running the HD800 off my DragonFly.
Waiting on the WA7...
:popcorn:

How are the HD800 with dragfly

Sep 3, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #5,264 of 28,989
Hello everyone,

I am a current He500 owner suffering from upgraditis and hoping the HD800 will be the cure.  I also own a LF339 OTL amp but I have heard it does not pair well with the HD800.  My issue is soundstage and imaging. I listen to a lot of jazz and a little classic and some classic rock. I really want that out of your head sound.

Now I am thinking of selling the LF339 and buying an amp that pairs well with both.  I prefer a tube amp like a WA2 but I have heard the bottlehead crack with speedball upgrade is another good option.  Then there's the V200 which is fantastic as well, but I love the look of a tube amp and I already have 5998s, 6AS7G and Bendix 6080 in possession so a tube amp that uses these tubes and works wonders with the HD800 would be the way to go for me. 

The other bonus of a WA2 is it pairs well with the He500.  So while I save up for the HD800, I can still enjoy the He500s on it.  Is there any other options that pair well with HD800 & He500 and use 6AS7 tubes?

I have a M-DAC as my standalone DAC.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back