The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5,206 of 28,989
Quote:
Bring on the comparisons!

(And I'll try to get off my keister and find a Mullard ECC35 or something else for the ZD to see what I'm missing.)

The ZD really does somehow pull off detailed, transparent and musical at the same time - wouldn't call it euphonic warmth though. But it's definitely got some kind of voodoo magic happening in there.

could get that euphonic warmth in there though with some tube rolling, though i don't know what is available for the ZD, im sure its not as much as WA2's options.

Sep 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #5,207 of 28,989
Quote:
The stratus yea but I just don't like the look of the Cavalli gear. Looks like a square box. I bet it sounds good though. 

i only like the look of the liquid fire, i probably would buy it only for the looks cause it looks cool.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:14 AM Post #5,208 of 28,989
Based on all I have read regarding amplifier for HD800 over the last few months, I have narrowed down to either GS-X or Stratus as the 2 amps seem to have gathered the highest praise around for their pairing with HD800. In the end, I decided on the Stratus as I thought it will probably suit my taste better, as I am looking for a smoother and a more natural sound than a highly transparent and detailed one, though I really like the looks of GS-X. Anyway, the waiting time if Donald really lives up to his promise, is not that long. Not too sure about GS-X though, I think Justin is having his hands full with BHSE right now, so patience is key.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #5,209 of 28,989
Quote:
Based on all I have read regarding amplifier for HD800 over the last few months, I have narrowed down to either GS-X or Stratus as the 2 amps seem to have gathered the highest praise around for their pairing with HD800. In the end, I decided on the Stratus as I thought it will probably suit my taste better, as I am looking for a smoother and a more natural sound than a highly transparent and detailed one, though I really like the looks of GS-X. Anyway, the waiting time if Donald really lives up to his promise, is not that long. Not too sure about GS-X though, I think Justin is having his hands full with BHSE right now, so patience is key.

I would love a stratus, it is near the top of my list.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM Post #5,210 of 28,989
Quote:
That is what I did not like about the GS-X Mk2. Detail, clarity and transparency were impressive, yes, but I found it a little dry and unengaging. I much prefer an amp that imparts some warmth and character into the music, even if it isn't as true to the source material. Not saying the GS-X is bad by any means; you may find that you really like it. It's just not for me.

I've mentioned this before (and asked before here on this thread and via PM) you're source was an iPod, so with a truly revealing amp like the GS-X, I'm not surprised. If you want warmth, then pick a source that has some, not a dry and un-engaging iDevice. 
size]
  Well designed high end gear like the GS-X and HD-800s SHOULD do that. As well, please let us know the store in your area that has a GS-X MKII on hand for trial here in North America when Justin only sells them directly (and has only had 1 run of the amp ship out)? In Australia, he has a seller there that we're all aware of, but none here that I know of? Seems kinda silly to have a $3000 amp on hand for display that you can't sell.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #5,211 of 28,989
Quote:

i only like the look of the liquid fire, i probably would buy it only for the looks cause it looks cool.

May like the look, but the sound is overpriced at $3250 IMO when I owned it.

Sep 2, 2013 at 10:50 AM Post #5,212 of 28,989
Sep 2, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #5,214 of 28,989
Quote:
Quote:
A couple of used ones were up for around $2k recently.

Still seems a bit high when the sonics are considered IMO. Funny, I'm finding the Liquid Lightning the same way.

Another great reason to use Decware!  A great value priced high quality line.  (I need to make commissions on these things...
biggrin.gif
 )

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM Post #5,215 of 28,989
Quote:
I've mentioned this before (and asked before here on this thread and via PM) you're source was an iPod, so with a truly revealing amp like the GS-X, I'm not surprised. If you want warmth, then pick a source that has some, not a dry and un-engaging iDevice. 
size]
  Well designed high end gear like the GS-X and HD-800s SHOULD do that. As well, please let us know the store in your area that has a GS-X MKII on hand for trial here in North America when Justin only sells them directly (and has only had 1 run of the amp ship out)? In Australia, he has a seller there that we're all aware of, but none here that I know of? Seems kinda silly to have a $3000 amp on hand for display that you can't sell.

My Lyr sounds fine with the source I have and even right from an iPod because it colors the sound in its own way. I'm not willing to spend 4000+ on a new amp and source when I already have what I want from my current rig. I'm enjoying it just as much as anyone else here, if not more since I love it enough to keep it just the way it is.

I really don't want to get into this argument with you again. I'm very glad that you enjoy your rig and I'm sorry that I don't like your favorite amp. 
beerchug.gif

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #5,216 of 28,989
Quote:

My Lyr sounds fine with the source I have and even right from an iPod because it colors the sound in its own way. I'm not willing to spend 4000+ on a new amp and source when I already have what I want from my current rig. I'm enjoying it just as much as anyone else here, if not more since I love it enough to keep it just the way it is.

I really don't want to get into this argument with you again. I'm very glad that you enjoy your rig and I'm sorry that I don't like your favorite amp. 
beerchug.gif

Third time you've dodged my question of that audio store. 
size]

BTW, just noticed only 30 GS-X MKII's in the wild....so I'm very curious to hear about the one you heard it at that didn't have a source and you had to use your iPod? As well, the GS-X is a BALANCED headphone amp, so an unbalanced source like your iPod would only enable you to hear 50% of the amp (at best).

i would have to look up the exact number of Gilmore Reference amps, but i'd say around 5 or 6. The original GS-X around 60 over 6 years. The GS-X mk2, 30 shipped so far and 60 more being built now. So, in the wild, a max of about 95

Yes, the Lyr will play nice with a much weaker source because it isn't transparent of upstream gear in anywhere the same way. So if you're not looking at spending a lot more $ on a new dac/source, then I'd stick with the Lyr. With the GS-X, it's garbage in = garbage out. 
size]

Sep 2, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #5,217 of 28,989
how do you think a mytek 192 would play with the GSX-2?

since its supposed to be very neutral though some find it slightly warm after burn in, some find it slightly edgy.

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #5,219 of 28,989
Has anyone here run the HD800 off of speaker taps? or off a HiFiman HE-Adapter?

Sep 2, 2013 at 12:31 PM Post #5,220 of 28,989
Quote:
May like the look, but the sound is overpriced at $3250 IMO when I owned it.

will you ever go back to tubes or are you all solid state these days? maybe 300b?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back