The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 23, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #4,953 of 28,989
Glad that works for you. They can scale MUCH higher though.
wink.gif

-Daniel

Aug 23, 2013 at 7:35 PM Post #4,955 of 28,989
Your graph has a little dip in the presence region, followed by a peak from 3-6khz. Mine is pretty flat there, and doesn't peak until around 8khz. That "suck out" you have could be why vocals singing a "ssssh" sound may not be perceptible to you, even if its on the recording.
Quote:

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #4,956 of 28,989
A cheap budget objective 2 amplifier and ODAC hooked up to my Laptop.
I was afraid it was going to sound thin but it doesn't? :blink:
I was planning on getting a Vioelectric V200 soon to pair with my HD800's. Maybe I got a lucky pair?
Spend more time with the HD800, certain flaws will only reveal after a while if your ears are not that sensitive. I thought my HD800 sounded smooth out of the Eximus DP-1 amp, after 2 weeks of listening to the combi, I found myself selecting tracks more carefully as some were simply unpleasant to my ears. I have been using my Mad dogs with my O2 amp in office and thought it was a nice sounding combi until I happened to hook it up to my Mini Torii amp at home. It transformed into the most musically sounding/engaging pair of amp and headphone I have ever heard in my life and Immediately I withdrew the ad I put up to sell the Mini Torii. My advice to you is if you love your wallet, get out of this place immediately! Ignorance is bliss and that is the only way you can be totally satisfied with your gear and be happy. If you continue to stay around, you will only start experimenting higher gears and discover how much higher you can scale. That is when all our wallets start hating us :frowning2:

Aug 23, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #4,957 of 28,989
My personal take is that there is really no point looking at all these graphs, perhaps only to make you FEEL better/worse about your HD800. Come on, your ears are the one who LISTEN to the sound, not the measuring machine. To me, if I don't like the sound it is producing, so what if it has the flattest FR graph? Likewise if I enjoy the sound, I wouldn't care a bit that the FR graph is a mess. There is no need to justify what you hear unless you are insecure.

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #4,958 of 28,989
Quote:
My personal take is that there is really no point looking at all these graphs, perhaps only to make you FEEL better/worse about your HD800. Come on, your ears are the one who LISTEN to the sound, not the measuring machine. To me, if I don't like the sound it is producing, so what if it has the flattest FR graph? Likewise if I enjoy the sound, I wouldn't care a bit that the FR graph is a mess. There is no need to justify what you hear unless you are insecure.

+1
I don't pay much attention to graphs or measurements. I just listen to what sounds good to my ears 
beyersmile.png

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #4,959 of 28,989
I actually think the graphs are just random and not related to any particular headphone(despite bearing the serial number).
Mine are 854 and they are exactly how I like it and then slightly different depending on my chain.
Heard a 20 000 something the other day and they sounded good too.
Whats a graph?

Aug 23, 2013 at 9:37 PM Post #4,960 of 28,989
Quote:
I actually think the graphs are just random and not related to any particular headphone(despite bearing the serial number).
Mine are 854 and they are exactly how I like it and then slightly different depending on my chain.
Heard a 20 000 something the other day and they sounded good too.
Whats a graph?

[size=medium] graph  [/size]

/graf/  

[size=small]
Noun
  • A diagram showing the relation between typically two variable quantities, each measured along one of a pair of axes at right angles.
  • A visual symbol representing a unit of sound or other feature of speech. Graphs include not only letters of the alphabet but also...

Verb
Plot or trace on a graph.

Synonyms
chart - diagram

[/size]

I couldn't help myself

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #4,963 of 28,989
I may not be able to afford an amp like most of the ones discussed here for a long while. That said, I finally saved up enough money to get my hands on a Ray Samuels Audio Intruder balanced portable amp. I spent a decent amount of time today re-terminating my stock HD800 cable and making it into a modular cable so I can build/use adapters depending on the amp I go with. Of course the 1st adapter was the one for the RSA Intruder. I've heard my HD800s in balanced mode at a previous local Head-Fi meet, but now I can spend some serious time enjoying the openness that a balanced headphone offers. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/71148/diy-cable-gallery/12705#post_9738641

So much more joy for my HD800s to bring me... :)

Aug 24, 2013 at 10:26 AM Post #4,964 of 28,989
Just reposting my comments from the DNA Sonett 2 thread:

...but with a balanced HD800 (with a Cardas 4-pin cable), the best sound I've ever heard at home. Just spectacular. No harshness, incredible detail and speed, and emotion, too. Lots of bass and PRAT. Perfect gain structure. The Sonett 2 is by far the best amplifier pairing I've heard with the HD800—more linear and powerful than the oft-mentioned Decware CSP2+, and more natural sounding and less zingy than the Zana Deux. And with the new version of Audirvana Plus (1.5.6), the soundstaging with this setup is just ridiculous. I hear instruments well behind my head, way off to the sides, above, etc. A lot of fun. 

Aug 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM Post #4,965 of 28,989
Just reposting my comments from the DNA Sonett 2 thread:

...but with a balanced HD800 (with a Cardas 4-pin cable), the best sound I've ever heard at home. Just spectacular. No harshness, incredible detail and speed, and emotion, too. Lots of bass and PRAT. Perfect gain structure. The Sonett 2 is by far the best amplifier pairing I've heard with the HD800—more linear and powerful than the oft-mentioned Decware CSP2+, and more natural sounding and less zingy than the Zana Deux. And with the new version of Audirvana Plus (1.5.6), the soundstaging with this setup is just ridiculous. I hear instruments well behind my head, way off to the sides, above, etc. A lot of fun. 

Glad you found the sound you were looking for Alex! It's been a journey for you with this headphone. I recently picked up a BA and another Beta (but balanced). If you're ever in the mood to compare, let me know. Enjoy your S2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back