The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 17, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #4,861 of 28,989
FYI - Q-Cable also does modular cables.  Also, headphone end is min-XLR for Auzdeze and Steve does 'earrings' for HD800. Mine is en-route.  Had it for my HE-500 and the new silk sheathed cable is sweet! I bought a used first gen silk cable at a decent price and I just love it though it is a little short.  Thinking of the LCD-2 as a second HP so the new cable will be perfect for both.
Quote:
I looked into the Green Line back when I was using the LCD-2s. I was trying to find a modular headphone cable and, to my surprise, it was the only one that I could find. It's a beautiful shade of green...
My only apprehension was that the cable jacket material seemed a bit too rubbery--how does it feel to you, if I may ask?

Aug 17, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #4,862 of 28,989
Q cables are out of the question for me at the moment--The rest of my August audio budget shall be spent either on a new turntable (Pro-ject RM 5.1 SE with a Sumiko Blue Point Special No.3, a most excellent sounding combination) or subwoofer (HSU VTF-15H; what more is there to say?).

Aug 17, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #4,863 of 28,989
Quote:
Q cables are out of the question for me at the moment--The rest of my August audio budget shall be spent either on a new turntable (Pro-ject RM 5.1 SE with a Sumiko Blue Point Special No.3, a most excellent sounding combination) or subwoofer (HSU VTF-15H; what more is there to say?).

Turntables make excellent money pits 
wink.gif

Aug 17, 2013 at 11:53 PM Post #4,864 of 28,989
Indeed, they are. Unfortunately, I haven't been listening to my turntable rig as often as I'd like due to the limited technical ability of my current setup--hence my desire to upgrade.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #4,866 of 28,989
What kind of budget are you looking at? We can continue this via PM if you'd like.

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:34 AM Post #4,867 of 28,989
Quote:
Just so we can all pour our hard-earned cash into more audio equipment... I've been looking for a good turntable. Any recommendations?

That is a whole different rabbit-hole my friend. I would ask in the vinyl thread here, but let them know what type of sound youre looking for (more musical vs analytical and forward vs relaxed) and budget.

Aug 18, 2013 at 2:40 AM Post #4,868 of 28,989
Finally sprung the amp that has been an unrelenting curiousity for me, the Balancing Act. Between the BA, Zana, balanced Beta and Dynahi I'll be able to try all kinds of combinations with this, my favorite dynamic headphone. If the preamped Zana into a 3 channel Beta was any indication, the BA unto a balanced Beta should be a real knockout. Now comes the hardest part of choosing which amps will need to go. I've run out of shelf space.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #4,871 of 28,989
What kind of budget are you looking at? We can continue this via PM if you'd like.

Oh goodness... I guess anywhere between $500 and $1000. I only have a handful of vinyls, but - while it's something I grew up on (in much later years fhan vinyl was popular, just loading my folks' records as a kid almost 20 years ago) it's something I've always wanted to get back into.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:33 AM Post #4,873 of 28,989
He'll dump the Beta then the Zana...oh wait that's his favorite pairing so far. Will be interesting to see if he like the ZDSE/HD800 better than the BA/HD800-like a few folks around here do.

-Daniel

Using 2 amps in a headphone chain is silly. I also don't think the Beta is a good HD800 amp at all. If shelf space is truly the problem, running 2 large double case amps is not the way to fix that.

Aug 18, 2013 at 3:53 AM Post #4,874 of 28,989
Quote:
Using 2 amps in a headphone chain is silly. I also don't think the Beta is a good HD800 amp at all. If shelf space is truly the problem, running 2 large double case amps is not the way to fix that.

Well that's what he's been doing-using the Zana as a pre to the Beta. Whatever works-I don't see much issue though if he's running the Beta at full volume (like a power amp), then attenuating with the Zana. Haven't tried that though with anything other than my DP-1 acting as a digital pre...

-Daniel

Aug 18, 2013 at 4:14 AM Post #4,875 of 28,989

It took me around 3 weeks of continuous playback to burn in my Beyerdynamic T1 to hear an increase in bass presentation and for the highs to sound smoother.  I just got my HD800 last Monday.  How long -- in your experience -- is the minimum burn-in time for the Sennheiser flagship?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back