The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2013 at 10:25 PM Post #4,803 of 28,989
Quote:
I picked up an HD650 in mint condition today for $300, as a complementary headphone to HD800. While it doesn't have the ultra-clear transparency, pinpoint imaging and wide soundstage of HD800, it has a beautiful, warm, lush tone and smooth treble that makes music very enjoyable. Sacriligeous as it may sound, I think I like HD650 more than HD800 for brightly recorded pop/rock songs, which makes up nearly 50% of my music collection.

+1
HD650 is still special for me, at times, I even prefer HD650 to LCD 2.1. 
I think vocal is more beautiful with HD650 than with LCD 2.1

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #4,804 of 28,989
Quote:

+1

and best with LCD-3 

biggrin.gif

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #4,805 of 28,989
Quote:

+1

I really wanted to like my (now long sold) HD650s. But I found them too laid back and the treble too pushed back. I'd take the LCD-2s or HD800s over them (the HD600s as well). Some really like them and I wish I could too.

Aug 15, 2013 at 10:50 PM Post #4,806 of 28,989
Quote:
I picked up an HD650 in mint condition today for $300, as a complementary headphone to HD800. While it doesn't have the ultra-clear transparency, pinpoint imaging and wide soundstage of HD800, it has a beautiful, warm, lush tone and smooth treble that makes music very enjoyable. Sacriligeous as it may sound, I think I like HD650 more than HD800 for brightly recorded pop/rock songs, which makes up nearly 50% of my music collection.

+1 
Although I am not really into Pop but I once tried listening to some Madonna and it was unbearable on the HD800. Too bright. I get your point the HD650 are a really good pair of headphones. Try listening to some Jazz/Fusion on the HD800 oh man what an amazing experience. Chick Corea Elektric Band on HD800 just amazing. The more I listen to the HD800 the more I appreciate having them. On some tracks it just hits the spot and the experience is one of sheer delight. I am spending so much time hunting and buying more music to play on these awesome headphones.  

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #4,808 of 28,989
I've been enjoying my HD800 for a while now, and it seems they have drawn my close relationship with my previously beloved 4.Ai to an end. Though they may have a similar sound signature, the 4.Ai comes nowhere close in terms of detail retrieval and sounds "mushy" in comparison. I am looking to upgrade within six months and have been considering several different CIEMs. Right now the Unique Melody Miracle and 1964 Ears V6 stand at the top of my list--have any of you guys been able to find CIEMs comparable to the almighty HD800?

Aug 16, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #4,809 of 28,989
I would like to add I have read several CIEM review threads/articles, but would like input from fellow HD800 owners.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:08 AM Post #4,811 of 28,989
Last year I was able to demo the HD800 and K3003 side by side--let's just say I wasn't impressed. On second thought, I now remember that the same tube amp was used to drive them both, probably causing out impedance mismatch. I'll get out and try out a pair of K3003s if I can find a pair in LA.

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:09 AM Post #4,812 of 28,989
So after being delayed by UPS & Sennheiser (but - to their credit - not ALO Audio for their cables and Woo Audio for their incredibly sturdy HPS-R headphone stand), I've finally gotten my entire system, and I am so incredibly thrilled.  I've got my Sennheiser HD 800's, the Senn HDVD 800 amp, the ALO Audio Green Line with 4-pin XLR attachment (which is well worth the purchase over Senn HD 800's included 1/4" standard cable when using the HDVD 800... The standard 1/4" cable doesn't compare), AudioQuest NRG-X3 10' power cable (I needed the extra length for my setup, and my HDVD 800 didn't include a power cable... Odd), and AudioQuest USB Digital Audio Forest cable (yes, it's overkill, but - at this point - might as well keep my system and its cables top end)... I'm also using Amarra for digital playback. Anyway, this system is more than I could have ever asked for.

This combination is incredibly fast, detailed, transparent, and - for me - incredibly absorbing.  I understand and appreciate the desire for that warm tube sound... However, I'm a film and television editor and - when given the choice - I prefer a more "transparent" sound (we can argue all day long whether a tube or solid state sounds more "natural," I know)... I'm using my headphones and amp for both personal and professional reasons.  It's a ridiculous cliche - especially posting on a site like this - but I've tested the HD 800's before and never quite experienced my favorite albums like this before now.  If you want to hear your music (and other audio) as they were intended by the source, give the HD 800 and HDVD 800 combo a try.

I'm currently listening to my favorite album of all time - Pink Floyd's "The Wall" (yes, "Dark Side" is more consistent, but "The Wall" reaches for such greater heights, in my opinion) - an ALAC from the 2011 Re-Mastered CD - and it's glorious.  The last time I was this affected by this album was when I was 4 years old and asked my folks to play "the baby song" (Track 1 "In The Flesh?" of "The Wall"... which ends with a plane crash and a baby crying.  I was a strange child.)  Listening to this has been so incredible, and mostly, I just wanted to post my reaction to say thank you to the folks who suggested my new system - and who expressed their opinions of others...

The truth is, music (and audio in general) is such a subjective experience... But whether you agree with my preferences or not, I just wanted to say thanks to you all for your valuable experience in evaluating my decision. I love it.  It's one thing to be able to experience a pair of headphones in the store or from a friend... But there's so many variables and combinations of equipment, it becomes something of an obsession (and a fun one at that) to find the perfect one... And all of you, your experience, and insight made it possible.  Thank you so much,

Aug 16, 2013 at 2:24 AM Post #4,813 of 28,989
Wonderful impressions. It's not cliche to say you have been hearing your music like you never have before--you literally have ever heard music in quite the same way :)

Quick question while I still have you: what do you mean when you say the stock cable doesn't even compare to the ALO one? I understand you needed a balanced cable to use with the HDV but what else is better? Isn't the stock cable $300 for a factory replacement? I only ask because I am also soon to purchase an aftermarket cable (for purely ergonomic and aesthetic reasons) and am wondering what I should expect.

Aug 16, 2013 at 3:22 AM Post #4,814 of 28,989
Quote:
Wonderful impressions. It's not cliche to say you have been hearing your music like you never have before--you literally have ever heard music in quite the same way
smily_headphones1.gif

Quick question while I still have you: what do you mean when you say the stock cable doesn't even compare to the ALO one? I understand you needed a balanced cable to use with the HDV but what else is better? Isn't the stock cable $300 for a factory replacement? I only ask because I am also soon to purchase an aftermarket cable (for purely ergonomic and aesthetic reasons) and am wondering what I should expect.

I can't speak for the ALO cable but my Moon Audio Black Dragon, which uses a pure copper conductor as opposed to SPC, noticabely reduces the treble peak around 6-7KHz without losing any detail or soundstage. It's also built a lot sturdier than the stock cable.

Aug 16, 2013 at 4:22 AM Post #4,815 of 28,989
Originally Posted by FatmanSize48 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've been enjoying my HD800 for a while now, and it seems they have drawn my close relationship with my previously beloved 4.Ai to an end. Though they may have a similar sound signature, the 4.Ai comes nowhere close in terms of detail retrieval and sounds "mushy" in comparison. I am looking to upgrade within six months and have been considering several different CIEMs. Right now the Unique Melody Miracle and 1964 Ears V6 stand at the top of my list--have any of you guys been able to find CIEMs comparable to the almighty HD800?

The JH13Pro Freqphase.  It's absolutely phenomenal... and very much on par with the HD800 when it comes to resolution, clarity, tonal accuracy, frequency bandwidth, soundstage, imaging, and all that.  I've owned the UM Miracle, Heir 4.A.. among (many) other custom & universal IEMs, btw.. IME, the JH13 is head and shoulders above every single one of them.  In fact, the JH13 has single handedly ended my (seemingly never-ending) search for an IEM that delivers everything I want in an IEM in terms of technical ability and a neutral (but not boring/sterile/clinical) signature.  I've owned a ton of IEMs and still anticipate listening to/reviewing them, but I don't have the desire to buy a single one for the foreseeable future.. thanks to the JH13.  It's the only IEM that I would (heaven forbid) actually part with the HD800 over.  It brings me that level of technical satisfaction and musical enjoyment.. in some ways, it's a better investment than the HD800 (for around the same price) since the JH13 doesn't demand the kind of upstream investment that the HD800 requires (to get the most out of it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back