The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 17, 2013 at 9:23 PM Post #3,361 of 28,989
Quote:
Don't be snobby. I own both the hd595s and the hd800s and like to compare. The hd595s inoffensive sound signature almost makes me forget how lacking in transparency its mids are and how flat it presents its sound image. However, its coloured and more intimate mids can work in its favour in a few non-acoustic songs. And this is a can that can be bought for £50-60 vs the hd800s £1000. Really puts things into perspective.

Sorry the right word was not compare. More like favor. There is a difference between justifying price and justifying quality. Now material wise these headphones may not be 1000 euro, but if you ever take apart a pair of HD800s or simply put your flashlight to it you can see the amount of research there must of been. Out of all my cans HD800s are the only ones that I felt justify the price however. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 1:06 AM Post #3,363 of 28,989
Quote:
After four years of ownership, I just put my first chip in the paint.............

ouch! id say you are not impressed. I have heard before that they chip easily - this is not good. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #3,365 of 28,989
ouch! id say you are not impressed. I have heard before that they chip easily - this is not good. 

It happens, and I don't sell much. The 800s are keepers. Some early on we're complaining about chipping and it took me four years to get my first, that's pretty good. They were hanging on a door on my desk and someone posted the door against the wall wedging it open with my lirttle trash an and one of the 800 cups was pushed against the wall all day. Top edge of the cup got a little chip is all.

Jun 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #3,367 of 28,989
Just got my HD800s (like actually just 30 minutes ago in the mail) and I am amazed so far.  I can't recall ever being so impressed with a pair of headphones after an initial listen.  I certainly didn't expect this, after coming from a pair of LCD-2s and D7000s I expected them to sound a bit "thin".  Not the case at all, these may be just exactly what I'm looking for, finally.  Also my amp at the moment (Lyr) isn't exactly what most would call a good pairing for these, but I'm blown away by just how good these sound.  Really excited to spend some time with these!

Jun 18, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #3,368 of 28,989
Quote:
Just got my HD800s (like actually just 30 minutes ago in the mail) and I am amazed so far.  I can't recall ever being so impressed with a pair of headphones after an initial listen.  I certainly didn't expect this, after coming from a pair of LCD-2s and D7000s I expected them to sound a bit "thin".  Not the case at all, these may be just exactly what I'm looking for, finally.  Also my amp at the moment (Lyr) isn't exactly what most would call a good pairing for these, but I'm blown away by just how good these sound.  Really excited to spend some time with these!

6Moons opinion was that the Lyr was an excellent pairing with the HD800s. The 800's don't sound thin with the Lyr, that's for sure. 

Jun 18, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #3,369 of 28,989
Congrats!  I'm running the HD800 with the Lyr and Amperex Orange globes and I'm quite happy with the combo. At this point, I have no immediate desire to upgrade. I know that I can do better but the pairing is really, really good.  Enjoy!
Quote:

Jun 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #3,370 of 28,989
Quote:
Metal music is already muddy as it is from shoddy mastering/mixing. I wouldn't think adding more "mud" is going to help at all.

Great point.  It makes no sense to discuss if HD800 sound good or not with metal music. Metal and the like e.i. acid metal, death metal call it what you want have way to much distortion and complexity to be used as music to judge a headphones quality.  Don´t get me wrong I love Rock but some heavy metal is just to heavy for me to pick up or listen to.

Jun 19, 2013 at 3:54 AM Post #3,371 of 28,989
Quote:

Great point.  It makes no sense to discuss if HD800 sound good or not with metal music. Metal and the like e.i. acid metal, death metal call it what you want have way to much distortion and complexity to be used as music to judge a headphones quality.  Don´t get me wrong I love Rock but some heavy metal is just to heavy for me to pick up or listen to.

you could get slated for saying that here. Some people will think your accusing them of bad taste or something like that but i think you have a point (- well kind of ). I love metal but don't i listen to that much any more, once the last of the trash metal bands died out i jumped train. In saying that i'm sure there are new metal bands out there with good production - Lamb of god and Opeth spring to mind. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 4:16 AM Post #3,372 of 28,989
Quote:
you could get slated for saying that here. Some people will think your accusing them of bad taste or something like that but i think you have a point (- well kind of ). I love metal but don't i listen to that much any more, once the last of the trash metal bands died out i jumped train. In saying that i'm sure there are new metal bands out there with good production - Lamb of god and Opeth spring to mind. 

Opeth's new recordaings sound stellar on a good headphone setup.

Jun 19, 2013 at 5:04 AM Post #3,373 of 28,989
Quote:
Opeth's new recordaings sound stellar on a good headphone setup.

Yes indeed those guys know what they are doing. i know its not really and truely metal but the damnation album sounds particularly good, i would love to hear that on hd800. i just got the T1 today and that album sounds great on it. 

Jun 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #3,374 of 28,989
So I've reached an impasse with the HD800 and I hope folks can weigh in. They are, at once, the most amazing headphone I've owned, and one of the most frustrating. They overwhelmed me when I first heard them at the headphone counter at J&R through my portable amp and iPod—the soundstaging, out-of-head thing in particular—so I bought a pair. But over the long run, I've found them difficult to kick back with and simply enjoy. They can have a slightly lit-up, even wiry timbre that I can't quite relax into. I'm not talking about excessive treble or brightness but rather what I hear as a slightly metallic tonality. 

I've tried a bevy of amps and just ordered a balanced Cardas cable. Currently I'm auditioning Donald North's superb Sonett 2, based on his Stratus, and recently had a chance to take the HD800 to another Head-Fier's place (thanks ericfarrell85!) where I listened to them through a Decware CSP2+ and a Zana Deux. Both superb amps, in their respective ways. Neither, to my mind, succeeded entirely in making the HD800 a pleasurable and relaxing headphone. Honestly, the only amp I've heard come close was the easy-going, cheap but good Matrix M-Stage, by warming up the presentation, but I didn't think it was able to take full advantage of the HD800s resolving and imaging potential. And that's the conundrum—the Hd800 seems to demand an amp (and source) that's at once super-resolving and utterly laid back. And I'm not sure such a thing exists. With my HD650, I can relax and enjoy the music for hours, but I also know that they are simply not as good as the HD800. But when I put on the HD800, the enjoyment often proves elusive and I can't focus on the music. I'm beginning to fear that they may not be for me. Can anyone dissuade me?

Jun 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #3,375 of 28,989
Sadly that is because of its response.  You can EQ it out, get a lush tube amp or source or... get what is a better HD650, the LCD-2 or LCD-3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back