The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:55 AM Post #946 of 28,989
Quote:
I absolutely am 100% ecstatic with my rig now, and the Eximus is a big reason why. It's the most musical and transparent dac I've heard so far, and an exceptional mate for the HD 800 imo

May be I missed it in one of your previous posts but why you are looking for something else if it's already "ecstatic" as it is?

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #947 of 28,989
Like I said-more curiousity than anything. I've learned firsthand that the HD 800 can scale higher and higher with 'better' equipment. Guess I'm curious about that last 3% lol, and I'm confident a NOS dac design at this level will provide the greatest variable-for better or worse.

-Daniel

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #948 of 28,989
May be I missed it in one of your previous posts but why you are looking for something else if it's already "ecstatic" as it is?

Like I said-more curiousity than anything. I've learned firsthand that the HD 800 can scale higher and higher with 'better' equipment. Guess I'm curious about that last 3% lol, and I'm confident a NOS dac design at this level will provide the greatest variable-for better or worse.

-Daniel

Because he's an audiophille with too much disposable income :p. And a lucky bugger too. :beerchug:

PS: I really like my Metrum Octave with my HD800.

Mar 15, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #950 of 28,989
I think you should look into AudioNote Dacs 
evil_smiley.gif

http://www.alldacinfo.com/?page_id=242

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:15 AM Post #951 of 28,989
Quote:
I didn't realize the wire with a gain Dynalo went out of style...also there are a few members here that claim the SPLs are the absolute best they've heard the HD800. Not thin. Not weak. Not sibilant. Hmm. maybe a lot of it comes down to source. Again I'm one to find out by trying one in my home for an extended period, which the Dynalo left me unimpressed with. I'll let you guys know what I think of the SPL if I purchase one soon. Carry on.

-Daniel

That is absolutely true! I have the phonitor and and the sound is almost tubby. THere is no sibilance at all. However, I think the GSX provides more in terms of resolution, separation, and slightly extension up top and down low, which is probably because of the dual mono design. What the GSX has going for it also is that it is upgradable. With the GSX i think you have top of the line SS amplification. After that comes in I may get a better tube amp but will also likely focus on my source -- maybe even go vinyl - to complete my hd800 rig -- maybe the NAD network player and vault.

BTW, there was a discussion in the HE6 thread about a thin wire in the HD800 that leads to the driver. The insinuation being made that it is a choke point and limits performance even when you recable the headphone. Does anyone know how good that cable is, and whether the short distance it spans actually needs a smaller AWG? 

Mar 15, 2013 at 8:16 AM Post #953 of 28,989
Quote:
Thinking of either an AN 3.1 or Hex currently. I wish one had a built in amp though-especially after hearing the nice built in one of the Eximus. That's why I want another ss amp-in case I sell the DP-1 so I don't have to fire up the Zana all the time.

-Daniel

If the dac is the best you why would you sell it. A better solution would be to get a 30 day trial on another dac then keep the one you like the best. Lot more economical too even if you had a restock fee it cheaper than selling your dac and them reburying one. I also think whatever dac your interested in the dealer will let you have a demo product to audition. Just some friendly advice toi save you some grief f the new dac disappoints you and you have to buy  the dac you sold and lost money on for more money again. More disposable income means you can save that  loss for something else you want in the future.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #955 of 28,989
 I was so set on the CSP2+ but there's a 8-12 week lead time at the moment. I'd much rather buy something in stock (impulsive much?). So now I'm back to the sub $1k range... I'm thinking the V200 maybe? I prefer something with a warmer signature. Any reviews on the Firestone Audio Bobby? Project86 had mentioned it w/ the Concero.

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #956 of 28,989
Quote:
 I was so set on the CSP2+ but there's a 8-12 week lead time at the moment. I'd much rather buy something in stock (impulsive much?). So now I'm back to the sub $1k range... I'm thinking the V200 maybe? I prefer something with a warmer signature. Any reviews on the Firestone Audio Bobby? Project86 had mentioned it w/ the Concero.

What was the quote from SWA?

Mar 15, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #957 of 28,989
Quote:

I don't think you can go wrong with the V200 in that price range and with a slightly warm signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back