The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM Post #871 of 28,989
Does the Decware use 3x 6N1P/6922/6DJ8 tubes?  Assuming one is for the mono out and doesn't actually need to be populated unless you're using that output?

Mar 13, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #873 of 28,989
Quote:
Does the Decware use 3x 6N1P/6922/6DJ8 tubes?  Assuming one is for the mono out and doesn't actually need to be populated unless you're using that output?

Yes, all three are required, but in my experience only the signal tube up front and rectifier are worth swapping out when using it as a headphone amp (preamp might be a different story?).

If you are dead-set on swapping out the drivers, I'd advise against using 6DJ8/7308's... they might not be able to handle it. 

Mar 13, 2013 at 2:42 PM Post #875 of 28,989
Quote:

Yes, all three are required, but in my experience only the signal tube up front and rectifier are worth swapping out when using it as a headphone amp (preamp might be a different story?).

If you are dead-set on swapping out the drivers, I'd advise against using 6DJ8/7308's... they might not be able to handle it. 

Interesting, I have been using 6DJ8/6922/7308 as driver tubes with my Lyr with no problems.   It would be cool to only have to swap the input tube though.   What would your recommendations be for input tube and rectifier?   I have a pretty large collection of 6DJ8 type tubes already for the input stage, but I don't know much about rectifier types.

I've pretty much decided to get a Decware Zen for a speaker amp if I don't get a Leben integrated & get rid of my Lyr instead.   If I go the route of buying the Zen I'll be using the Lyr as a pre-amp for a while.   The Zen looks good and I'm guessing it will do well with 100dB speakers (Zu Soul Superfly).

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #877 of 28,989
Quote:

I use the Bugle Boy 6dj8 and also sylvania  6dj8 and have zero issues with them,. i prefer the three bugle boys I am running now in the amp.  The Phillips 6dj8 line is old stock is hard to beat IMO. i currently use the csp2 as  a headphone amp only

Mar 13, 2013 at 3:53 PM Post #878 of 28,989
I use the Bugle Boy 6dj8 and also sylvania  6dj8 and have zero issues with them,. i prefer the three bugle boys I am running now in the amp.  The Phillips 6dj8 line is old stock is hard to beat IMO. i currently use the csp2 as  a headphone amp only

OK good to know. I had one 7308 arc in the driver position and heard a few similar stories about 6DJ8's but I guess it's all about the luck of the (current) draw. :wink:

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #879 of 28,989
Interesting, I have been using 6DJ8/6922/7308 as driver tubes with my Lyr with no problems.   It would be cool to only have to swap the input tube though.   What would your recommendations be for input tube and rectifier?   I have a pretty large collection of 6DJ8 type tubes already for the input stage, but I don't know much about rectifier types.

Favorite input tube on the CSP+ so far is the Mullard old shield E88CC. Miniwatt Dario E188CC was also great but $$$!!! I also found the Mullard 7308 (ATC logo) had incredible midrange transparency but with the HD800 I needed a bit more bass.

Favorite rectifier for the money right now is the RCA 5Y3GT. Cheap and does many things right. EML mesh 5U4G is more detailed and quite nice but also 'spensive and rumored to be somewhat fragile. Brimar 5R4GY is superb for bass/midrange magic if a bit soft on top. Looking to try a Bendix 6106 and the "mighty 596" next...

Mar 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #880 of 28,989
I found the USAF-596 really tightened up the lower end on the CSP2+. You do need an adapter for it though.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #882 of 28,989
Quote:
Agreed with the CTH and Crack. CTH is really designed for other things, and the Crack is just not good (for anything).

If you want to stick with tubes and have a clean articulate sound and come in under $1k, look no further than the Decware CSP2+. (Highly recommend the Resonessence Concero if you are looking for a DAC as well.)

Quote:

Yeppers. Bottlehead products are great for learning how to solder and stain wood, but they don't beat the performance curve.

At this point in time, Decware CSP+ and Concero is "the" price/performance tube amp/DAC pair for the HD800. Beyond that you'll spend 1.5x-2x total cost for incremental gains.

I heard many different awesome rigs at the recent Head-Fi meet, but I left happy with what I have. :)

Interesting comments regarding the Bottlehead and Decware.  I'm enjoying my current SS amp with the Concero but have been curious to eventually dabble in a decent all tube amp just for the HD800 and don't really want it to just be a lateral move from my current amp.  I was considering the Crack + Speedball because it's affordable and I assumed it's in the same performance range as the Decware and such but it seems otherwise.  

I've read alot of good things about the 2A3 amps like the EC 2A3 and DNA Stratus but $2500+ will be out of my range for a while.  Now i'm considering maybe Decware CSP2+ or DNA Sonett 2.  The CSP2+ is a little more affordable though.  I'm looking more for transparency and soundstage than mellowness.

The Decware praise from Maxvla is valuable for me since the Bryston amp is a known variable for me and a SS amp I like very much.  There is a few other tube amps which seem interesting but are mostly unknown variables, such as SAC Thailand Minute EL34-SE and the new Yamamoto HA-03.  Just too few impressions though so far.  I did come fairly close to pulling the trigger on the EL34-SE though a while back.

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #883 of 28,989
I was interested in the CSP2 as an OTL option but the reviews kind of turned me off of it.  Without dancing around it too much the conclusion tends to be that its worth its asking price but it isn't a world beater :frowning2:

Mar 13, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #884 of 28,989
Most things aren't world beaters and you get what you pay for. It's good but its not a ZDSE or BA.

Mar 13, 2013 at 6:01 PM Post #885 of 28,989
It will be interesting to see how the new Taboo MK III stands up as an HD800 amp. The prototype was really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back