The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 20, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #28,876 of 29,010
The wa7 fireflies series its awesome.

Or the new tube mini

Oct 21, 2023 at 9:04 AM Post #28,877 of 29,010
Since the WA2 is in your price range I would add the Cayin HA-3A and the Felix Audio Elise to your short list.
Im thinking more of a used WA 2 price, so yeah I'm not trying to reach that high just for testing Tube out, Thanks for all the suggestion tho, but the HD800 deal fell through as the plan I had for it didn't work out.

So for now as I've decided to just pick up a Kef LSX to upgrade my 2 channel experience instead. I was surprised how much enjoyment I got when I bought my Swan OS10 a year ago I'm curious what kind of ceiling this different segment have, I have a small room so I didn't spring for the LS50, and also was unsure if the 50 would be amped well enough with an entry lvl class D amp as I have nothing to drive a passive speakers with yet.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #28,878 of 29,010
Im thinking more of a used WA 2 price, so yeah I'm not trying to reach that high just for testing Tube out, Thanks for all the suggestion tho, but the HD800 deal fell through as the plan I had for it didn't work out.

So for now as I've decided to just pick up a Kef LSX to upgrade my 2 channel experience instead. I was surprised how much enjoyment I got when I bought my Swan OS10 a year ago I'm curious what kind of ceiling this different segment have, I have a small room so I didn't spring for the LS50, and also was unsure if the 50 would be amped well enough with an entry lvl class D amp as I have nothing to drive a passive speakers with yet.
That active Kef should be noticeably more coherent than the Swan with that detail you have an ear for. As for the 800, it is every bit in the same class as a t1 or 5000--a side grade, as they say. With that said, you'd most likely love an 800 and not regret it at all.

Oct 31, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #28,879 of 29,010
Yeap, I have it and it's definitely an upgrade from the OS10, clearer, better positioning, deeper Soundstage.
it's just lacking in bass, a characteristics it shares with the Ls50 so am picking up a Sub for it also.
Tho am surprised at how close it is, the Swan is great bookshelf speakers for the price and size.

I know the 800 would be good, it's just I'm a bit hesitant on getting more of the same, the deal was 450 usd for a well used pair with no box, Im kinda backing out from it as later questioning seem to indicate the HD800 was being kept in a humid storage location for years. I've had a bad micro fungi experience with Ananda that broke the driver before, I know Dynamic driver is way more resilient than planar, but still better stay safe... Also a friend I plan to share the headphone with doesn't plan to buy a HD800 any time soon even tho it's one of his grail target so...

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:09 PM Post #28,880 of 29,010
I know the 800 would be good, it's just I'm a bit hesitant on getting more of the same, the deal was 450 usd for a well used pair with no box, Im kinda backing out from it as later questioning seem to indicate the HD800 was being kept in a humid storage location for years. I've had a bad micro fungi experience with Ananda that broke the driver before, I know Dynamic driver is way more resilient than planar, but still better stay safe... Also a friend I plan to share the headphone with doesn't plan to buy a HD800 any time soon even tho it's one of his grail target so...
A used pair for 450 is not a price you are going to find and be sure it's in good shape.

If the entire reason for the HD800 is for the detail and soundstage width, I think your best bet used for around a couple hundred more is going to be the Arya V2.

The soundstage width is not quite as wide as the HD800s but it does have the detail and if it's too bright you can EQ to help out with that.

You also get the advantage of planar speed, and you don't need a tube amp to make it sound it's best.

Nov 1, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #28,881 of 29,010
I had a bad experience with hifiman Ananda, one of the driver' stator being cut off by microfungi so it died on me, now am distancing from the brand entirely, and i also dislike their tendency to release iterative improvements on the mostly same design Ala smartphone scheme that many Chifi follows.
So I'm more likely to try Audeze than them. As they obviously offer different type of sound than what I have.
I know 450 isn't gonna be in a good shape, but I'm always willing to accept well used pair that need pads and headband foam replacement, but I can't be sure what humidity can do to the internals.

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #28,882 of 29,010
How many of you tried running HD800 without the protective fabric sheet on the driver?

After 15 years owning mine i tried it and Whoa! this opened up the clarity.. it can compete with the best planars now.. like i can touch the instruments in the music..

Before it had all that stage size but remained abit distant and wooly sounding.. but now im in awe again.

If you have one being forgotten.. i suggest trying this. :)

20231112_201747.jpg

In there is the SD mod, leather pads make also for deeper bass.

The sheets can easily be pulled off with a pincet.
20231112_201708.jpg

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:11 PM Post #28,883 of 29,010
How many of you tried running HD800 without the protective fabric sheet on the driver?

After 15 years owning mine i tried it and Whoa! this opened up the clarity.. it can compete with the best planars now.. like i can touch the instruments in the music..

Before it had all that stage size but remained abit distant and wooly sounding.. but now im in awe again.

20231112_201747.jpg

20231112_201708.jpg
That’s looks interesting. I will give it a try. Wouldn’t the inside get dirty though without the protective sheets.

Nov 12, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #28,884 of 29,010

20231112_201747.jpg

20231112_201708.jpg
Same, sdr mod and inserts removed. Stock pads in my case, but strips of fo.q ta-102 in the cups really helped the bass. I don't like fo.q in many applications, but in headphone cups it's very nice.

Nov 12, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #28,885 of 29,010

20231112_201747.jpg

20231112_201708.jpg
what pads are those they look Thick? I want a thick pad so they can close better to my ears.

Nov 13, 2023 at 2:14 AM Post #28,886 of 29,010

20231112_201747.jpg

20231112_201708.jpg
How old are you and what is the highest frequency you can hear at full SPL?

Nov 13, 2023 at 3:22 AM Post #28,887 of 29,010
How old are you and what is the highest frequency you can hear at full SPL?
Im 47.
Its not about fr.. but quickness (edges of transients) of the changing waves being dampened by the filter sheet.

This is truly a night and day difference.
One is not a HiFi lover if cannot hear this change. And easy to try for HD800 owners.

The sheet can be sticked back if you dont like it.

Nov 13, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #28,888 of 29,010
Im 47.
Its not about fr.. but quickness (edges of transients) of the changing waves being dampened by the filter sheet.

This is truly a night and day difference.
One is not a HiFi lover if cannot hear this change. And easy to try for HD800 owners.

The sheet can be sticked back if you dont like it.
The filter acts like an air impedance load, filter. One can find such filters in IEMs, which can be swapped for different impedance values, and doing so changes the frequency response. That's also how 'toilet paper' mods work. Of course, proper filters have defined impedance values and are more 'transparent' sounding.

Here is an example of what I used to tune my Shure SE530. Higher impedance lowers the highs, lower impedance lowers the bass.

Nov 14, 2023 at 2:50 PM Post #28,890 of 29,010
Purchased a pair of Dekoni pads recently for my hd800 cans. The inserts are stuck to the pads so unfortunately I am unable to try removing them.
Any material between the driver conus and you ear diffuses the sound.

The more i listen ..the more im stunned with the clarity i hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back