The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2016 at 1:25 AM Post #22,473 of 29,017
i read good things on Audio gd master 9. i just bought vali2 until i will save for Stratus
gs1000.gif
, altough ZDSE is no slouch either. 
wink_face.gif

The EC BW is indeed great if you aim for it i suggest you sign for the next batch.

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #22,474 of 29,017
  i read good things on Audio gd master 9. i just bought vali2 until i will save for Stratus
gs1000.gif
, altough ZDSE is no slouch either. 
wink_face.gif

The EC BW is indeed great if you aim for it i suggest you sign for the next batch.

Infact Eddie Current Zana Deux is on my wishlist.
I have started saving for it. I wished i could snap out a used one. Only after i am happy with ZADX i will get into EC BA

Apr 27, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #22,475 of 29,017
Oh, I thought Cavalli has BW as well. Thanks for clarifying.

Apr 27, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #22,476 of 29,017
Quote:

Oh thats right, i mixed up on that. Its by Eddie Current.

Do we still have any end game amp in the sub 1000-2000 group, or still Eddie Current BA is the supreme choice?

The Bottlehead Mainline should be in that group there are some interesting comparison on how it faired against a tricked out the DNA Stratus $3450 which is often considered the best cost no object amp for the HD800's.

The Mainline is normally $1200 but Bottlehead always run a couple of promotions every year where it has been priced at $1099.

Interestingly the reviewer also has the SuSy Dynahi which is considered to be amongst best solid state choice for the HD800 and comments that the Mainlines fall somewhere in between the two for voicing, but much closer to the S/S Dynahi which is also more expensive than the Mainline.

His end comments are worth a read.

"The Mainline has a smaller sound stage than the Stratus, and with the HD800's, I found it was actually a GOOD thing.  The HD800's with the Stratus can sound a little disconnected and the Mainline had better left to right coherency.  

The Mainline is an outstanding amp for the HD800’s.  The HD800’s are a picky pair and sound worse than most other headphones with the wrong gear.  I find the HD800’s performance is almost binary: either they are terrible or world class, but never mediocre.   With the Mainline, they are indeed world class. All the issues with lesser amps found with the HD800s (simblance, lack of bass, etc)

If I had never heard the Stratus, would be I perfectly happy with the Mainline?  For sure.  The Mainline is certainly end game worthy and does everything really well.  The sound stage is large and deep and everything has a nice weight to it.  It really is just a great, neutral all around performer and a steal of a deal price."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline/1035

Apr 27, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #22,477 of 29,017
  ...I will stick to buy tube amp here in my country. I am planning to get the Cayin CS55a but I don't know if it will synergy well with HD800. Any thoughts on Cayin CS55a? Sorry if my grammar is wrong, english is not my first language. Thanks.

It would be helpful if you let us know the country you are in.

That Cayin amp looks very interesting. Let us know if you find anything on it or if you end up getting it.

I will giving this amp a try some time soon. It looks very interesting and it will be able to drive my bookshelf speakers too, which is something that I am looking for in particular. http://www.head-fi.org/t/136513/oustanding-chinese-headphone-amp-cayin-spark-ha-1a-review

Apr 27, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #22,479 of 29,017
  Jamie thnx for info but Stratus is listed 2700$, if it was 3450$ i would buy the ZDSE without think twice. 

Jamie was quoting the price of the Stratus with the tubes used in the review (non-stock tubes).

While stock tubes sound pretty good, I'd recommend anyone that is thinking of purchasing a Stratus for the HD800 to consider the additional cost of tube rolling in order to get the most out of it.  Chances are that if the upgrade bug strikes, you'll be buying expensive tubes that bring the amp into the $3,000 - $4,000 range.

A buddy of mine is building a mainline within the next few months.  I'm excited to hear it and have a chance to compare it to a few of my amps, Stratus included.
I have various different sets of 2A3 tubes that play very well with the HD800, so it will be an interesting experiment.

Apr 27, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #22,480 of 29,017
A bit embarassed, but may I ask for some more opinion between these? 

Mjolnir 2 
Liquid Carbon
Feliks Elise
MicroZOTL2

Someone suggested earlier that I start small and work my way up, but being a student I don't really have that much money or time to play with :frowning2: 

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #22,481 of 29,017

Mjolnir 2 
Liquid Carbon
Feliks Elise
MicroZOTL2

Someone suggested earlier that I start small and work my way up, but being a student I don't really have that much money or time to play with :frowning2: 

I have owned the first two .   Mjolnir 2 would be my choice.   Plan on upgrading the stock tubes imho.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #22,482 of 29,017
  Quote:

The Bottlehead Mainline should be in that group there are some interesting comparison on how it faired against a tricked out the DNA Stratus $3450 which is often considered the best cost no object amp for the HD800's.

The Mainline is normally $1200 but Bottlehead always run a couple of promotions every year where it has been priced at $1099.

Interestingly the reviewer also has the SuSy Dynahi which is considered to be amongst best solid state choice for the HD800 and comments that the Mainlines fall somewhere in between the two for voicing, but much closer to the S/S Dynahi which is also more expensive than the Mainline.

His end comments are worth a read.

"The Mainline has a smaller sound stage than the Stratus, and with the HD800's, I found it was actually a GOOD thing.  The HD800's with the Stratus can sound a little disconnected and the Mainline had better left to right coherency.  

The Mainline is an outstanding amp for the HD800’s.  The HD800’s are a picky pair and sound worse than most other headphones with the wrong gear.  I find the HD800’s performance is almost binary: either they are terrible or world class, but never mediocre.   With the Mainline, they are indeed world class. All the issues with lesser amps found with the HD800s (simblance, lack of bass, etc)

If I had never heard the Stratus, would be I perfectly happy with the Mainline?  For sure.  The Mainline is certainly end game worthy and does everything really well.  The sound stage is large and deep and everything has a nice weight to it.  It really is just a great, neutral all around performer and a steal of a deal price."

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline/1035

Jamie, thanks for your reply. Please tell us a bit more about Mainline. a sub 1000 dollar amp is duly worth noticing. If it can deliver results comparing with sub 2500-3500 dollar amps?
Have u heard the amp yourself, and would you compare any of the high end cavalli audio's or Eddie Current's amps with it? Including the Schiit's own Rag?

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #22,483 of 29,017

Mjolnir 2 
Liquid Carbon
Feliks Elise
MicroZOTL2

I think you should add the black widow to that list.
ill be interested in your findings as im in the exact same boat and looking for a amp under 1k.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #22,484 of 29,017
I finally managed to get the materials necessary to do the Anax mod properly. I had to go to a few places to find the Creatology foam. I couldn't find the felt material so as it is just now I only have the foam and may redo it with felt in future if I can find it.

I was actually surprised that it does make a subtle difference. It takes away a little bit of the zing in the treble and adds a bit of pressure to the mids. Imaging seems to be slightly improved as well. They are still on the verge of hostility, but I find I can listen to some of the songs that were nearly fatal on the HD800 before (CSNY Woodstock and David Bowie's Fame etc.) and there is a little bit more control with cymbal splashes etc. Music that is more suited to the HD800 is fantastic.

I would say these are very close to the HD800S I had demoed.

Usually when I try out my HD800 they are back in the box in an hour or two so this is very promising. I'm trying very hard to not spend money on the HD800S.

Apr 27, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #22,485 of 29,017
  I finally managed to get the materials necessary to do the Anax mod properly. I had to go to a few places to find the Creatology foam. I couldn't find the felt material so as it is just now I only have the foam and may redo it with felt in future if I can find it.

I was actually surprised that it does make a subtle difference. It takes away a little bit of the zing in the treble and adds a bit of pressure to the mids. Imaging seems to be slightly improved as well. They are still on the verge of hostility, but I find I can listen to some of the songs that were nearly fatal on the HD800 before (CSNY Woodstock and David Bowie's Fame etc.) and there is a little bit more control with cymbal splashes etc. Music that is more suited to the HD800 is fantastic.

I would say these are very close to the HD800S I had demoed.

Usually when I try out my HD800 they are back in the box in an hour or two so this is very promising. I'm trying very hard to not spend money on the HD800S.

may I also recommend the superdupont resonator that make the hd800 measure almost like the hd800s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back