The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #22,426 of 29,017
I also consider the hd800 unlistenable without EQ.
With sonarworks EQ, its amazing.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #22,427 of 29,017
Disagree.  Schitt MJ 2 did a awesome job with the HD800 for me with good tubes.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I found the MJ 2 with Amprex, to be rolled off and boring, withTelefunken to be too hot. Audio is is subjective, same finding with the Ether. I loved it with my LCD-3f though.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:17 AM Post #22,428 of 29,017

Really? I thought a tube amp would better help smooth out the classic 800's treble peak over a solid state amp

I agree the WA7 sounds like a tube. But there are tube amplifiers that are warm and tube amplifiers that are balanced. I think Woo Audio was aiming at the balanced side with their WA7.

Same is true  - some warm and some balanced - for solid state amplifiers, as others have posted examples of the warmer options. Definitely do not turn your back on solid state when seeking a warmish sound. But too, implementation is everything. The Cavalli implementation has been well-respected on Head-Fi for some time. I've not heard the Gold, but the Carbon was quite good with the HD800. Perhaps the Black Widow from Eddie Current will be similarly good? And there are a few others people here have mentioned.

Apr 24, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #22,429 of 29,017
I guess we will have to agree to disagree, I found the MJ 2 with Amprex, to be rolled off and boring, withTelefunken to be too hot. Audio is is subjective, same finding with the Ether. I loved it with my LCD-3f though.

That is why I have multiple sets of tubes.  I like different tubes with different cans...

The Lyr's sound signature is greatly effected by the choice of tubes.  I have had a chance to audition the MJ2 but not gotten to do any tube rolling with one.  If tubes do change the sound signature the same way they do in the Lyr you may not have found the right tubes yet.

There is a place between "rolled off and boring" and "too hot".

But you are right audio is very subjective.  

Would love to try an Ether and LCD 3...

beerchug.gif

Apr 24, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #22,430 of 29,017

I used to own a Primare NP-30 (close to the DAC-30) and used it with my HD800. What in particular do you want to know?

Hi thanks I was looking at a trade in on one and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it and how it compared to other products in its category. I essentially have a opportunity to pick one up that is only a couple of months old at half retail but at its price level there are some tasty options about. My current dac is a Leema Accoustics Elements dac which so far has blown away everything else I have tried but you know what this hobby is like.

Apr 24, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #22,431 of 29,017
Last i checked this thread a few months back, and lot of people were recommending the Schiit Ragnarok amp for the HD800
Whats the new consensus right now? I am ready to get a new amp.

I checked Axpona this year, and Cavali audio had a booth, they are so damn expensive, and i thought the amp on there were pretty much mediocre sounding than even WA2

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #22,432 of 29,017

Disagree.  Schitt MJ 2 did a awesome job with the HD800 for me with good tubes.

I had the 75 Reflektors  and it was amazing.   However they are hard to get.    

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #22,433 of 29,017
  I agree the WA7 sounds like a tube. But there are tube amplifiers that are warm and tube amplifiers that are balanced. I think Woo Audio was aiming at the balanced side with their WA7.

Same is true  - some warm and some balanced - for solid state amplifiers, as others have posted examples of the warmer options. Definitely do not turn your back on solid state when seeking a warmish sound. But too, implementation is everything. The Cavalli implementation has been well-respected on Head-Fi for some time. I've not heard the Gold, but the Carbon was quite good with the HD800. Perhaps the Black Widow from Eddie Current will be similarly good? And there are a few others people here have mentioned.

Thanks for the info, very helpful :) 

Definitely taking a look at both the LC and Black Widow. I have to admit, the LC is looking better and better day by day...

Apr 24, 2016 at 3:59 PM Post #22,434 of 29,017
Don't forget the deadline to order the liquid carbon is May 5th. That's when they're going to stop taking orders and start production.

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:29 PM Post #22,435 of 29,017
Don't forget the deadline to order the liquid carbon is May 5th. That's when they're going to stop taking orders and start production.

Please post a link.
Thank you

Paul

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #22,436 of 29,017
Apr 24, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #22,437 of 29,017

Same is true  - some warm and some balanced - for solid state amplifiers, as others have posted examples of the warmer options. Definitely do not turn your back on solid state when seeking a warmish sound. But too, implementation is everything. The Cavalli implementation has been well-respected on Head-Fi for some time. I've not heard the Gold, but the Carbon was quite good with the HD800. 

Have you tried the Valhalla 2, sheldaze? What did you think about it compared to a LC for the 800?

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #22,438 of 29,017
Please post a link.
Thank you

Paul

@sheldaze posted the links.
Here's the text from the Carbon page.

"Please note that we are scheduled to stop taking orders for this final run of Liquid Carbons on May 5th, 2016. You will have until 11:59p (Central Time) on that date to place your order. After that date, your order will become non-refundable, as we will begin production on your Liquid Carbon, which should take approximately 14-16 weeks to complete."

Apr 24, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #22,439 of 29,017

Have you tried the Valhalla 2, sheldaze? What did you think about it compared to a LC for the 800?

Absolutely loved the Valhalla 2. It creates a very large soundstage, clean, crystal clear sound.

I did like the DNA Sonett a small bit better, so sold the Valhalla 2. And I liked the MicroZOTL2 a small bit better than that (and it works for both planar and dynamic driver headphones). So that's where I am currently.

But there is no question the Valhalla 2 is great for the Sennheiser headphones. If I could have the Cavalli house sound (hard to describe - just makes things sound a little more cozy), but the crystal clear clarity of the Valhalla 2, that would be very nice indeed. The Valhalla 2 will not hide the flaws. The Carbon, to my ears, hid a few.

Apr 24, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #22,440 of 29,017
  Absolutely loved the Valhalla 2. It creates a very large soundstage, clean, crystal clear sound.

I did like the DNA Sonett a small bit better, so sold the Valhalla 2. And I liked the MicroZOTL2 a small bit better than that (and it works for both planar and dynamic driver headphones). So that's where I am currently.

But there is no question the Valhalla 2 is great for the Sennheiser headphones. If I could have the Cavalli house sound (hard to describe - just makes things sound a little more cozy), but the crystal clear clarity of the Valhalla 2, that would be very nice indeed. The Valhalla 2 will not hide the flaws. The Carbon, to my ears, hid a few.

At less than half the price of a LC, Valhalla 2 then seems like a really nice deal, especially if the performance is equivalent

Users who are viewing this thread

Back