The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 6, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #22,112 of 28,989
Mar 6, 2016 at 10:10 PM Post #22,113 of 28,989
I find it troubling that the new HD800 S measures worse in some part than the HD800 it succeeds. There's more bass roll-off in the 30Hz square wave and plenty more bass distortion all the way from 20 Hz to 100 Hz. Looks like the treble distortion and the 300 Hz square wave is much more controlled though - definitely keen to try out the 'S' version, something I'm still yet to get the chance for.

Measurement-wise though, it seems to me that the HD800 S is not an ultimate upgrade to the HD800 - but more of a side-grade.

Mar 7, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #22,114 of 28,989
  I find it troubling that the new HD800 S measures worse in some part than the HD800 it succeeds. There's more bass roll-off in the 30Hz square wave and plenty more bass distortion all the way from 20 Hz to 100 Hz. Looks like the treble distortion and the 300 Hz square wave is much more controlled though - definitely keen to try out the 'S' version, something I'm still yet to get the chance for.

Measurement-wise though, it seems to me that the HD800 S is not an ultimate upgrade to the HD800 - but more of a side-grade.

Not sure it was meant to be an upgrade....just a different flavor....mainly taking care of 6K treble peak that bothered some.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #22,117 of 28,989
From the sounds of it the "S" model does appear to be a side grade depending on your taste. I think that's the reason Sennheiser decided to thrown in the balanced cable to justify the increased price. For my tastes I probably would enjoy the tweak in treble but I find the bass perfect in the HD800 so at the end of the day it's a break even trade off for me probably. I would never get the S anyway since in Australia the price difference is double.

Mar 7, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #22,118 of 28,989
  From the sounds of it the "S" model does appear to be a side grade depending on your taste. I think that's the reason Sennheiser decided to thrown in the balanced cable to justify the increased price. For my tastes I probably would enjoy the tweak in treble but I find the bass perfect in the HD800 so at the end of the day it's a break even trade off for me probably. I would never get the S anyway since in Australia the price difference is double.

On the HD800S threads (there are two), some claim, that prefers HD800 with SE connection and HD800S with balanced connection...

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM Post #22,119 of 28,989

On the HD800S threads (there are two), some claim, that prefers HD800 with SE connection and HD800S with balanced connection...

Yes I do, how may I be of assistance?

Mar 7, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #22,121 of 28,989
  I would prefer to think, that balanced cable is not just expensive 'marketing' thing in HD800S box...

Me too and I think it depends on your headphone amp. I compared SE cables versus balanced cables in my HD800 some time back. The cables were both the Sennheiser standard HD800 cables. I also did my best to allow for the volume difference when I switched between so the only difference should be SE versus balanced mode in terms of sound quality. After a number of hours it became clear that for me at least the sound in balanced mode was preferable to SE. I have not tried other balanced cables although I know many who swear by a number of brands but some of these are a significant percentage of the cost of the headphones and that just feels wrong. 

I wonder if the HD800S has been voiced to better take account of balanced operation as the HD800 was launched at a time when SE operation was all that was on offer for headphones except electrostats. Anyhow maybe it is the additional "sparkle" of the 800s but in SE mode they sound very close to the 800S to my ears and so I prefer them by a tiny margin. In balanced mode the 800S sounds better by a small margin especially at the top and bottom ends of the spectrum.

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #22,122 of 28,989
  Me too and I think it depends on your headphone amp. I compared SE cables versus balanced cables in my HD800 some time back. The cables were both the Sennheiser standard HD800 cables. I also did my best to allow for the volume difference when I switched between so the only difference should be SE versus balanced mode in terms of sound quality. After a number of hours it became clear that for me at least the sound in balanced mode was preferable to SE. I have not tried other balanced cables although I know many who swear by a number of brands but some of these are a significant percentage of the cost of the headphones and that just feels wrong. 

I wonder if the HD800S has been voiced to better take account of balanced operation as the HD800 was launched at a time when SE operation was all that was on offer for headphones except electrostats. Anyhow maybe it is the additional "sparkle" of the 800s but in SE mode they sound very close to the 800S to my ears and so I prefer them by a tiny margin. In balanced mode the 800S sounds better by a small margin especially at the top and bottom ends of the spectrum.

Thanks!

Mar 7, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #22,123 of 28,989
Im running my HD800 off an Emotiva mini-x a100 50wpc speaker amp. Running a female xlr with wires directly to the speaker taps. Sounds DAMN good. Bass, smooth treble, deep spacious sound, huge soundstage, just very meaty and natural sound. This amp is only $219 and has its own volume control. Im lovin it!!

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #22,124 of 28,989

But running balanced doesn't change the sound. Sure you get double the power to the driver, but nothing else really changes much.

It's deffinitely a gimmick to me. There's no reason a balanced amp would change a headphone so profoundly. I believe you get the same results from a SE amp that has similar power output.

Mar 7, 2016 at 11:25 PM Post #22,125 of 28,989
But running balanced doesn't change the sound. Sure you get double the power to the driver, but nothing else really changes much.

fwiw, balanced operation made a huge difference for me out of the HDVD800.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back