The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 1, 2015 at 5:42 AM Post #20,461 of 28,989
MP3, FLAC. I don't hear any difference between a well ripped 320 kbps MP3 and a FLAC, but have all the CDs I still have ripped to FLAC because it is lossless and the disk space is largely a non-issue nowadays.

I wouldn't bother with higher than CD quality FLACs, though. There is little benefit in going above the standard 16 bit / 44.1 kHz quality, except maybe if that higher bitrate also happens to be based on a better master of the recording.

As for DAPs, it probably horrifies some people here, but I find that running the HD800 from my DX90, it sounds just fine. I can't detect any sound quality difference between the DX90 headphone out and the headphone out of my NAD amplifier with built-in DAC.

I can really feel the difference between 320 Kbps Mp3's and normal FLAC's and also 24 bit Vinyl ripped FLAC of the same song.

My example would be the Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever song - in which I can really feel quite a big chance from the different formats used to play the song. And this is coming from a guy who spent 400 euros on a CARDAS Clear cable for the HD800 and now uses the default cable because it's lighter - as there's no significant differece between them.

Oct 1, 2015 at 9:56 AM Post #20,462 of 28,989
I can really feel the difference between 320 Kbps Mp3's and normal FLAC's and also 24 bit Vinyl ripped FLAC of the same song.

My example would be the Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever song - in which I can really feel quite a big chance from the different formats used to play the song. And this is coming from a guy who spent 400 euros on a CARDAS Clear cable for the HD800 and now uses the default cable because it's lighter - as there's no significant differece between them.

I personally prefer WEB release FLAC over 24 bit vinyl rips. 24 bit WEB releases however are my favourite - closest to studio masters.

Oct 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #20,463 of 28,989

Just an update for all the people who might be interested.
My dem HE1000 arrive tomorrow so today my local dealer let me take the HD800s away for a few days. They are a brand new pair and he says they will sound better after 72 hours or so.
One concern I had was that I would not find much difference from my Q701s as I am 52 year old and ears probably not what they used to be.
Wow though straight out of the box. Soundstage soundstage detail detail and clarity. Absolutely different league to my 701s. They actually have a similar type sound to the 701s but just do it much better. When I put the 701s back on its like I have a cotton mud stuck in my ear.
I am no headphone expert like some on here and that’s why I see your advice. The jump up in SQ has taken me completely by surprise.
Slightly bright at times but I am hoping that will go with the burn in, and only one cable and no balanced cable are my only moans. Although HD800 may be better on standard anyway I have no idea.
The HE1000 arrive tomorrow and are double the price! So that will be interesting.
I know now that I will be buying some new headphones ………just time will tell which ones.

Oct 1, 2015 at 12:38 PM Post #20,464 of 28,989
Just an update for all the people who might be interested.
My dem HE1000 arrive tomorrow so today my local dealer let me take the HD800s away for a few days. They are a brand new pair and he says they will sound better after 72 hours or so.
One concern I had was that I would not find much difference from my Q701s as I am 52 year old and ears probably not what they used to be.
Wow though straight out of the box. Soundstage soundstage detail detail and clarity. Absolutely different league to my 701s. They actually have a similar type sound to the 701s but just do it much better. When I put the 701s back on its like I have a cotton mud stuck in my ear.
I am no headphone expert like some on here and that’s why I see your advice. The jump up in SQ has taken me completely by surprise.
Slightly bright at times but I am hoping that will go with the burn in, and only one cable and no balanced cable are my only moans. Although HD800 may be better on standard anyway I have no idea.
The HE1000 arrive tomorrow and are double the price! So that will be interesting.
I know now that I will be buying some new headphones ………just time will tell which ones.

After having owned the HD 800 for a couple of months, I put on my old K701 just for fun. For me, the difference was also quite big, so instead of listening to the HD 800, I took notes and compared both with each other, with the result of having written a German review comparison.
My conclusion was by the way pretty much the same.

I know a few people that didn't find the sonic difference to justify the higher price, but for me, I can say that it is worth every single cent and I wouldn't be able to listen to the K701 as only headphone anymore.

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #20,466 of 28,989
Treble definitely a tad bright though, hoping this is because they are brand new

Oct 1, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #20,468 of 28,989

Nope. it won't change :wink: 

That would be a real shame. I love the soundstage and detail, so maybe a bright treble is the price you have to pay.
its only on certain tracks.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:14 PM Post #20,470 of 28,989

Welcome in HD800 world... "Plug it and pray" . 
biggrin.gif

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #20,471 of 28,989
That would be a real shame. I love the soundstage and detail, so maybe a bright treble is the price you have to pay.

Try a set of Norne Draug 2 Cables, haven't done the Analaxius (so?) mod yet. Thought I needed tubes but don't think there is much that is better Than my Taurus Mk.2.

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #20,472 of 28,989
Try a set of Norne Draug 2 Cables, haven't done the Analaxius (so?) mod yet. Thought I needed tubes but don't think there is much that is better Than my Taurus Mk.2.

It's just a demo set for now so won't be able to try that

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #20,474 of 28,989
I am no headphone guru by any means but I would imagine every headphone has a trade off

Oct 1, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #20,475 of 28,989
  henkie 196
What NAD prouct do you own? I ask because I have a 390DD and the USB DAC is poor quality. That could be why your DAP sounds "as good"?
Frank-*--

It's the DAC that can be added to the C375 and C356. I haven't heard the 390DD, but would be surprised if it was worse than the DAC in my amplifier. What do you find poor quality about it?

As for the DAC, I prefer it over the ESS9018 that is in my Oppo BDP-105 (the same DAC that is also used in the DX90), because to me it sounds a bit more neutral. The DX90 and BDP-105 tend to sound a bit more laid back. With my speakers, both sound good, and I wouldn't be able to say that I find the sound quality lacking somehow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back