The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 10, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #20,101 of 29,017
  The iDSD is adequate with the HD800's. Never heard the Crack. The Decware CSP2+ worked well and is similar to the Crack. Many TOTL headphones, just like TOTL speakers need the entire chain to be at its best. So, yes, you will need to step up your game to get the best from these cans. Sorry. That is how it goes with many TOTL pieces.

I'm getting a lot of conflicting answers on how much higher end equipment will improve the overall sound.
A few people said the HD800 will still be the HD800 at its best, better at what it does good, but will never get the bass quantity of the LCD-2 or the rumble of the Fostex TH900 no matter what.

Sep 10, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #20,102 of 29,017

The iDSD is adequate with the HD800's. Never heard the Crack. The Decware CSP2+ worked well and is similar to the Crack. Many TOTL headphones, just like TOTL speakers need the entire chain to be at its best. So, yes, you will need to step up your game to get the best from these cans. Sorry. That is how it goes with many TOTL pieces.

I'm getting a lot of conflicting answers on how much higher end equipment will improve the overall sound.
A few people said the HD800 will still be the HD800 at its best, better at what it does good, but will never get the bass quantity of the LCD-2 or the rumble of the Fostex TH900 no matter what.

I appreciate the confusion. A lot boils down to how any headphone hits any specific person's personal hearing. For me, I have found great joy in the HD800's when using SET tube amps. My ALO Audio Studio Six is the best I have heard paired with the HD800's. The bass is solid, low and powerful but not muddy and probably more to the general topic, the highs are clear, smooth and non fatiguing. Frequencies soar off into the distance like they should.  This particular combo is what all the HD800 shouting is about.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:02 PM Post #20,103 of 29,017
You want more bass? Throw a good parametric EQ on it and shape the bass exactly how you want. If you're using a PC, trying an EQ is free, and just costs a small amount of time. My HD800's are audibly flat in the bass, like the LCD-2.2.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #20,104 of 29,017
  I appreciate the confusion. A lot boils down to how any headphone hits any specific person's personal hearing. For me, I have found great joy in the HD800's when using SET tube amps. My ALO Audio Studio Six is the best I have heard paired with the HD800's. The bass is solid, low and powerful but not muddy and probably more to the general topic, the highs are clear, smooth and non fatiguing. Frequencies soar off into the distance like they should.  This particular combo is what all the HD800 shouting is about.

I wish I could sample the ALO Studio Six, but I can't drop $4,000 on an amp & I would think more than 90% of HD800 owners can't either.
BTW what are SET tubes? Can they be used with the Bottlehead Crack?

You want more bass? Throw a good parametric EQ on it and shape the bass exactly how you want. If you're using a PC, trying an EQ is free, and just costs a small amount of time. My HD800's are audibly flat in the bass, like the LCD-2.2.

Any EQ settings you can share for foobar that match the bass/mids to the LCD-2's level?
I tried this chart with the Beyer T1

It definitely imitated the headphones to sound like those other headphones without the ability to make them sound like those headphones, if that makes sense.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:28 PM Post #20,105 of 29,017

I wish I could sample the ALO Studio Six, but I can't drop $4,000 on an amp & I would think more than 90% of HD800 can't either.
BTW what are SET tubes? Can they be used with the Bottlehead Crack?

Here is a Wiki on SET's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-ended_triode

The Studio Six uses a 6SN7, a pair of 6V6's, a couple of OB2 gas regulators and a 5U4G Rectifier for stock. I added a VT-231 6SN7 variant and a USAF-596 with adapter for the Rectifier. I also put in some NOS 6V6's in place of the stock tubes. You can read my review in my signature and get a look at the amp.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #20,106 of 29,017

The best way is to see if there's either a meet or if you have a high end audio store near you to try them out. The HD800 is popular enough where it is almost at every meet. You need to try different setups for yourself to see.

Sep 10, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #20,107 of 29,017
  Here is a Wiki on SET's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-ended_triode

The Studio Six uses a 6SN7, a pair of 6V6's, a couple of OB2 gas regulators and a 5U4G Rectifier for stock. I added a VT-231 6SN7 variant and a USAF-596 with adapter for the Rectifier. I also put in some NOS 6V6's in place of the stock tubes. You can read my review in my signature and get a look at the amp.

So I assume the Bottlehead Crack can't use those tubes?
I googled & no results of SET tubes & Bottlehead came up.

The best way is to see if there's either a meet or if you have a high end audio store near you to try them out. The HD800 is popular enough where it is almost at every meet. You need to try different setups for yourself to see.

I checked a few times & there is nothing close by where I live.

Sep 10, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #20,108 of 29,017

The iDSD's DAC does have a thin sound without great tone or body. Plug a good R2R DAC in your chain and you should here a significant difference (IMO of course).

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:12 AM Post #20,111 of 29,017
Preconceived notion my ass!

The words I can describe the HD800's bass is thin, veiled, tiny, recessed when doing A/B tests with the LCD-2!

The 800's will present the SQ of the signal fed them, with precision.

If the matchup between the dac/amp to the 800's doesn't match the degree of SQ that the 800's are capable, then that IS what you'll hear.

800's are a Top of the Line headphone and will deliver the SQ according to what they are fed.
Think of them as being a mirror to let you know what the rest of your audio chain is capable of delivering to them.

And it's an all to common complaint to blame the SQ of the 800's based upon the SQ of the upstream gear.

Welcome to the ongoing nature of dialing in the experience of using 800's to match your preferences.

JJ

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:34 AM Post #20,112 of 29,017
Hey all, not sure if this has been discussed much ITT, but I notice that a vast majority of HD800 users mod their 'phones (anax seems especially popular). Anyway, I was wondering if anybody is using and enjoying the 800s bone stock. No mods, no aftermarket cables, etc?

Just curious, as I have these on my "dream wish list" but I never mod any of my stuff, as I feel the engineering/design should be taken care of before I make a purchase. Additionally, I must admit that I have an absolute FEAR of messing something up REALLY bad!  LOL!

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #20,113 of 29,017
I ran the 800's bone stock for a year or 2 before I started to fuss with the mods.
It was like the heavens opened up and all my music was to be discovered anew.

The biggest change was to the LFF (listener fatigue factor) in that I could crank the Moarknob up without being having to stop listening, due to fatigue.

JJ

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #20,114 of 29,017
The 800's will present the SQ of the signal fed them, with precision.

If the matchup between the dac/amp to the 800's doesn't match the degree of SQ that the 800's are capable, then that IS what you'll hear.

800's are a Top of the Line headphone and will deliver the SQ according to what they are fed.
Think of them as being a mirror to let you know what the rest of your audio chain is capable of delivering to them.

And it's an all to common complaint to blame the SQ of the 800's based upon the SQ of the upstream gear.

Welcome to the ongoing nature of dialing in the experience of using 800's to match your preferences.

JJ

I'm having a hard time believing that.
I think the LCD2 were measured very flat & neutral & when A/B'd the HD800 has a lack of bass body in the music.

I think the wider soundstage might be the cause for the diffused body of bass. Just wonder what can bring the bass up & front (besides EQ & ultra high end amps worth more than the headphones themselves)?
Haven't started tube rolling with the crack yet. Don't know if a high tier of tubes will give a huge change or not.

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #20,115 of 29,017
I am highly treble sensitive and I sold my first T1 after 5 days as I couldn't handle the treble. I didn't like the HD800 for a really long time as well. 

I have since realized the following:

If your chain... DAC, digital cable, Amp, Interconnects, headphone cable... are all decent or top notch, the HD800 does not require any mods to sound good without any sibilance. 

I am starting to think that the HD800 is so resolving that it is very sensitive to noise... even the smallest amount... will be represented to us as "sharp treble" or sibilance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back