The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 8:02 AM Post #18,856 of 28,989
Thanks,
Have you listened to he560? Do you think that there is a difference in sound quality bewbetween them when I listen to rock/metal?
I'm buying them for most technical bands. Mostly progressive ones (dream theater, pink floyd, king crimson, tool, Symphony X, led zeppelin, Yes, ...) to heavy metal ones (black sabbath, Iron Maiden, deep purple, ...) and some thrash (Metallica, megadeth, ...)

Like joshk4 I auditioned both the he560 and the hd800. Heavily. I loved the he560 and this gave me a real wow moment when I first heard it and was about to buy it (after listening to it on 2 or 3 different occasions) but then I decided to literally pick up a pair of the hd800s, just in case, and they too had a wow factor.

At that point I wanted to like the hd800 but was thinking I would come back and buy the he560s due to what I then described as musical offerring.

When I went back to the store to try them out again it surprisingly ended up being a somewhat easy decision for me to choose the hd800s. I would have happily bought both if there was a buy one get one free offer but unfortunately that wasn't the case.

For me, I loved the detail/analytical nature of the hd800. And I loved the upper mids and great timbre of the he560s. Two different headphones. The he560s offered as much bass as I would want (ie no more please) and the hd800s offered up to the maximum brightness that I like.

I mostly went with the hd800s because of the detail and openness/soundstage. And the bottom end is present even though not dominant. And I knew if I had bought the he560s I would often wonder, "I wonder what this album would sound like with the hd800s?" I don't have that the other way around.

I have been surprised how good pink floyd sounds with these. The detail from those recordings come across very well. With deep purple, and I do love a lot of my deep purple Mk III (stormbringer, burn), the hd800s do okay but I don't find they dance with those recordings.

Unless you are wanting some real strongly present bottom end/warm headphones then the hd800s should suit your well detailed recordings but your deep purple kind of stuff may need more. From memory, the led Zeppelin rematered stuff sounded pretty decent too.

But I guess later you can always choose your dac and amp to tweak your overall sound.

If detail and soundstage is very much important to you then the hd800s are definitely worth considering. They are analytical but in my opinion stil musical If it isn't as crucial then perhaps the he560, which still has good detail once you remove the hd800s from the equation, are worth looking at for decent detail and a real lively resonating fuller sound. There are some really good extended reviews of the he560 around here. One particular review/thread goes into heaps of detail.

Either way you won't go wrong with either of these.

I guess, thinking off the cuff, the he560s really rock ( with good detail) but the hd800s are something quite special when it comes to well produced music when looking to burrow In to the detail. But as I mentioned the hd800s does have clarity in the bottom end , so I wouldn't consider it bass lite, but the he560s do rock a little harder with sparkling mids and treble and real warm timbre.

Good luck.

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #18,857 of 28,989
^ what he said and +1 to led zeppelin 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 6, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #18,858 of 28,989
Hey @pearljam50000 looks like we found our amp and dac http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow#post_11667407

M-Stage HPA-3U looks to be the latest release, already available on there website, and available through amazon for around $400. It does 420mW/300Ω which is a nice step up from 200mW on the HPA-2. I joined the drop for the HPA-2 massdrop the other day because it was 199.99 but I just cancelled it before the drop ends tonight. This seems to be an all around better choice and I'm sure it will be available on amazon for 3-350 in the next month or so.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #18,859 of 28,989
Thanks buddy!
Looks exciting :)
Hey @pearljam50000
 looks like we found our amp and dac http://www.head-fi.org/t/770610/introducing-the-matrix-m-stage-hpa-3u-and-hpa-3b-review-to-follow#post_11667407

M-Stage HPA-3U looks to be the latest release, already available on there website, and available through amazon for around $400. It does 420mW/300Ω which is a nice step up from 200mW on the HPA-2. I joined the drop for the HPA-2 massdrop the other day because it was 199.99 but I just cancelled it before the drop ends tonight. This seems to be an all around better choice and I'm sure it will be available on amazon for 3-350 in the next month or so.

Jun 7, 2015 at 10:51 AM Post #18,860 of 28,989
HD800's being fed by the ALO Audio Studio Six and the Wyred 4 Sound DAC2 DSDse produce incredible bass response! Easily keeping up with my LCD-X's.  Absolutely sublime combination.

Jun 7, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #18,861 of 28,989
HD800 + Audio-GD HE-9 bass impact competes with best planars as well ( 3 planars on my desk currently... )   ..Extension & very low bass are the real territory where planar are unmatched though

Jun 7, 2015 at 3:35 PM Post #18,863 of 28,989
  Is there anybody in here who uses the HD800 mainly for blues and rock (psychedelic, heavy, progressive.. etc) ?

I listen to lots of blues, progressive and psychedelic. Grateful Dead, Allman Bros, Muddy Waters, BB King, Yes, Gentle Giant, King Crimson etc. Sounds totally goooooooood.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #18,864 of 28,989
  Is there anybody in here who uses the HD800 mainly for blues and rock (psychedelic, heavy, progressive.. etc) ?

Yep, and it is awesome...no worries.  
smile.gif

I listen to a lot of blues and classic rock

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #18,866 of 28,989
  Thank you very very much. I just ordered my HD800, can't wait to get it!
For now I have the O2+ODAC which I don't really like. But no worries, the Bottlehead Crack+Speedball is on its way too
L3000.gif

Congrats.....it is a wonderful set of cans.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #18,869 of 28,989
  Where is the best place to buy earpads and headband padding ?

Don't know about worldwide, but Sennheiser's Service and Support web site offers the best prices in the USA.

You can find them under Headphone Spares, or equivalent.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #18,870 of 28,989
I've called them a few times to buy the headband and the pads and they were cheaper than the online retailers. I guess it makes sense since it takes out the middle man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back