The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2015 at 3:46 PM Post #18,631 of 28,989

they indeed sound different from each other. one of them is with bigger bass, the other is more flat mine (the 4th) have bigger and wider sound stage and dynamics ​
 and to me i have more "air" in the songs and​
resolution
is better, the strange thing i notice that my pair is also feel more heavy in few grams than the others.

This most likely is the easiest to verify:
Take off cable, ear and head pads and out all headphones on a percision balance...

May 14, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #18,633 of 28,989
From meomry only, sold it years ago- my old pair( 3,000 or so) had less bass then my new one 30,000+ ,close to 40,000)
So i tend to belive the sound has changed over time(for the better)
Maybe its's just that the workers build them better now because they have years of exprience building them (;

May 14, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #18,634 of 28,989
I am looking to purchase a 4 to 5 foot cable for the HD800, I am not looking to spend tons of money on a replacment cable and am not looking for any change in sound. Equal to stock is just fine as this is just for gaming purposes to my X7, I was looking at this cable ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-cable-with-remote-mic-for-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD800-headphone-/311343401394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d8349b2 ) as it will do 2 things for me. 1 it will be a short black cable and 2 it will have a built in mic that I could use when I am gaming with my 800's. Has anyone dared tried this cable? If so what were your experiences? If not can anyone recommend a 4-5 foot replacement cable that will not change sound for as cheap as possible?

May 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #18,635 of 28,989
I am looking to purchase a 4 to 5 foot cable for the HD800, I am not looking to spend tons of money on a replacment cable and am not looking for any change in sound. Equal to stock is just fine as this is just for gaming purposes to my X7, I was looking at this cable ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Replacement-cable-with-remote-mic-for-iphone-to-Sennheiser-HD800-headphone-/311343401394?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item487d8349b2 ) as it will do 2 things for me. 1 it will be a short black cable and 2 it will have a built in mic that I could use when I am gaming with my 800's. Has anyone dared tried this cable? If so what were your experiences? If not can anyone recommend a 4-5 foot replacement cable that will not change sound for as cheap as possible?

A $36 cable for the hd800s with a mic?

Wow!! With the soundstage/openess of the hd800 i can't start to imagine how exceptional a conference call would sound.

"Put me on speaker!!!"

May 14, 2015 at 9:51 PM Post #18,637 of 28,989
A $36 cable for the hd800s with a mic?

Wow!! With the soundstage/openess of the hd800 i can't start to imagine how exceptional a conference call would sound.

"Put me on speaker!!!"

It's for gaming not portable use. And second, I am not a huge believer in cables changing sound in a huge way. I'm sure it can slightly alter it but I am a believer that most of the "change" in sound is a placebo.

May 14, 2015 at 10:31 PM Post #18,638 of 28,989
Not house/techno/dubstep but a hella of a lotta fun on the HD800 despite the cr@ppy recording..
Love the vintage B&O turntable at the beginning :)

Quote:
  Just tried listening to house/techno/dubstep with the HD800s.

May 14, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #18,639 of 28,989
It's for gaming not portable use. And second, I am not a huge believer in cables changing sound in a huge way. I'm sure it can slightly alter it but I am a believer that most of the "change" in sound is a placebo.

No offence was meant if it was taken that way

I was glad to see a modest price on cables for the hd800 and I appreciate the practicality of the shorter cable. I've stepped on mine enough times already when getting up from my desk.

And the idea of using the headphones in making a call was something I ever considered. I reckon it would be a great thing to try - reminds me of when I first heard about diet coke and mentos - intrigued by it and curious.

May 15, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #18,640 of 28,989
This cable would also be nice when using the HD800 with the upcoming CEntrance Skyn.

I was glad to see a modest price on cables for the hd800 and I appreciate the practicality of the shorter cable. I've stepped on mine enough times already when getting up from my desk.

And the idea of using the headphones in making a call was something I ever considered. I reckon it would be a great thing to try - reminds me of when I first heard about diet coke and mentos - intrigued by it and curious.

May 15, 2015 at 10:43 AM Post #18,642 of 28,989

This cable would also be nice when using the HD800 with the upcoming CEntrance Skyn.

You sure that's a DAC/Amp and not a Condom name? XD

Good one
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #18,644 of 28,989

No problem, I might take the chance and order that cheap cable for gaming use. It is exactly what I am looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back