The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 4, 2015 at 7:39 AM Post #18,481 of 28,989
Exactly, while R2Rs will be better that doesn't mean you can't enjoy a Sabre. The Vega is just spectacular with the HD-800s.

Sorry can't agree with that.

Sabre & R2R both have their advantages and disadvantages. One can be preferred but personal tastes differ.

I have heard expensive Naim R2R DAC's/players as well as Audio-gd 7.1 and 5.32 and none have persuaded me to part with my NFB-7.
The Audio-gd in particular I found rather lifeless and boring.

May 4, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #18,482 of 28,989

I'm using my HD700 while waiting for the LCD-3 to come back from RMA.

I've had at one point had the chance to listen to both HD700 and HD800 side by side on the same amp, the two headphones are similar, look in my signature on my setup, Auralic Vega is a Sabre based DAC, when paired with Master 9, it works beautifully, there is no treble harshness at all, everything is just natural/neutral.

I don't see the reason why Sabre wouldn't work on HD800.

It can and does if the system is of high enough quality and tonally balanced.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2015 at 8:12 AM Post #18,483 of 28,989

Sorry can't agree with that.

Sabre & R2R both have their advantages and disadvantages. One can be preferred but personal tastes differ.

I have heard expensive Naim R2R DAC's/players as well as Audio-gd 7.1 and 5.32 and none have persuaded me to part with my NFB-7.
The Audio-gd in particular I found rather lifeless and boring.

The R2R's that you heard are not that good so I kind of understand where you're coming from

May 4, 2015 at 8:22 AM Post #18,484 of 28,989
  The R2R's that you heard are not that good so I kind of understand where you're coming from

Well that is the first time I have heard anyone say that about Audio-gd PCM1704 DAC's.
Also the Naim CD player I heard cost around £10000. I know it's a Naim so it has an inflated price but still should be a decent product.

May 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #18,486 of 28,989
Well that is the first time I have heard anyone say that about Audio-gd PCM1704 DAC's.
Also the Naim CD player I heard cost around £10000. I know it's a Naim so it has an inflated price but still should be a decent product.

What I was trying to say is that newer R2R implementations usually solve the faults that you could hear on older ones

May 4, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #18,487 of 28,989
What I was trying to say is that newer R2R implementations usually solve the faults that you could hear on older ones

I have not heard the Master-7 but I have been told that it sounds very different from the Ref series (actually more Sabre like) so you might be right.

However if I was to get a R2R DAC I am pretty certain it won't be a PCM1704 version.
Heard enough of them to know they are not to my taste.

May 4, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #18,488 of 28,989
PCM1704 are IMO not neutral and transparent enough. Funny and enjoyable though.  

Sadly, best R2R was really expensive thus far. That's why Yggy seems to be a game changer. R2R tone, Gobs of resolution AND expensive yet affordable for everyone who are patient enough to save the money. 

May 4, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #18,489 of 28,989

Sadly, best R2R was really expensive thus far. That's why Yggy seems to be a game changer. R2R tone, Gobs of resolution AND expensive yet affordable for everyone who are patient enough to save the money. 

Actually, what each of us considers neutral & transparent enough is always up for debate as it only takes 1 more part of our systems that may not be being used by someone else to change our findings drastically from someone else's !

For myself my Metrum Hex has been absolutely instrumental in my no longer having "angst" over whether I was missing musical
detail by not listening to DSD. The difference for me has been how "analog" sounding PCM has become through the Hex. That
was something I inaccurately assumed was only something DSD could pull off. (I think it cost just a bit more than the Yggy; but the Yggy wasn't around when "I" was ready to step up to the Hex. Being more like a Theta product I may have tried it, but like they say "You snooze,you lose"

May 4, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #18,491 of 28,989
  Actually, what each of us considers neutral & transparent enough is always up for debate as it only takes 1 more part of our systems that may not be being used by someone else to change our findings drastically from someone else's !

That's perfectly true an that's why I added "IMO".  

May 4, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #18,492 of 28,989
  I finished building my Bottlehead Mainline today and have been glued to it ever since. All the high praise is justly deserved imho it makes for a superb pairing with the HD800, just really beautiful!

atsmile.gif

That is some fine craftmanship. If I decide to go into tubes, this is on the top of my list. If I could only solder....

May 4, 2015 at 5:12 PM Post #18,493 of 28,989

I kinda agree with you on the PCM1704 being not very resolving. For me the Sabre was extremely resolving and hence to my liking.

May 4, 2015 at 5:17 PM Post #18,494 of 28,989
  I finished building my Bottlehead Mainline today and have been glued to it ever since. All the high praise is justly deserved imho it makes for a superb pairing with the HD800, just really beautiful!

atsmile.gif

Very nice, sir.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back