The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 28, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #18,361 of 28,989
Considering making a small video of this, I have been on a quest to find the most comfortable audiophile headphone for all day usage and I finally bit the bullet and spent all this money thinking that this was the end game and of course this happens 
biggrin.gif

I have tried many headphones and they all seem to be to small, too much clamp, my ears touching or the headphones make my ears itchy and sweaty. Never once with my decently big head and ears would I ever think I would but a headphones thats not too big.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #18,362 of 28,989

Oof. Apologies for missing that detail.

Out of curiosity, may I ask at what click stop yours is set, inseconds99?

Assuming they're brand new...

The only other idea I can think to toss out, and I'm really reaching here... facial hair?

I'm clean-shaven. Could it be the alcantara pad material "holds" better on skin than on a beard or sideburns?

I think bearFNF has the right idea, though. Best way to isolate a problem is to swap for a known good unit. Check fit with another pair?

Interesting, I have a decent beard growing at this moment that connects to my sideburns and I am also wearing decent sized "fashion thick Prada framed" glasses.. Might trim the beard and remove the glasses later and see what happens, though having no glasses on while on my pc would be an issue...\

Going to try to make the NY meet on Saturday and try on some pairs to see what happens. Not sure if I can def make that meet or not though.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #18,364 of 28,989
I also have a beard, but keep it trimmed close. I also have a wide jaw that may make a difference. No glasses.
  Interesting, I have a decent beard growing at this moment that connects to my sideburns and I am also wearing decent sized "fashion thick Prada framed" glasses.. Might trim the beard and remove the glasses later and see what happens, though having no glasses on while on my pc would be an issue...\

Going to try to make the NY meet on Saturday and try on some pairs to see what happens. Not sure if I can def make that meet or not though.

Apr 28, 2015 at 5:51 PM Post #18,365 of 28,989

Ok, just tried mine on with glasses and tilted my head down like I was looking at a keyboard. They slipped quite a bit, though I wouldn't say they nearly fell off.

Did the same without the glasses, and they slipped less, but they did move somewhat.

The 650s do clamp harder and have thicker velour pads. They didn't move much at all, with or without glasses.

Perhaps the different headband/earcup assemblies account for the fit difference. I usually recline when I listen to music, so the 800s stay put pretty well.

I usually keep my hair cropped short, but I let it grow out recently (too lazy to get to a barber, I suppose). I suspect I'll find they stabilize better with shorter hair. 

At last, I can work a scalp mowing into a troubleshoot...

Apr 28, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #18,367 of 28,989
Just trimmed the beard down and took off the glasses, they def slip a lot less but they are still loose. I really do love the sound of these things, but as I use them all day for, music, Skype, gaming and YouTube/movies. They are becoming bothersome being so loose, I was hoping this was a common thing but it seems like I am one of a few with an issue. 

Hopefully I can test these out at the meet, also looking to test out the AKG 812's and T1's.

My goals:

All day comfort > Summit-Fi > Good Bass (Like the bass of the HD 800 and disagree with anyone who calls them basslite)> Big Soundstage

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:21 PM Post #18,368 of 28,989
I've briefly listened to the HD800 throughout the years at stores on different setups, but never was intrigued by them too much.  Now I finally have a pair I can listen to for long spans of time via my own gear and with other headphones of mine to compare to.

First impressions:

-soundstage isn't as large as it's hyped up to be.  it's larger than normal, but not huge.  width is fairly good, I wish I had more depth.
-imaging is precise and coherent.  this is the hd800's strongest aspect
-instrument separation is not better than my 560 or any other planar I've tried, but the coherency of the sound is.  
-bass extends down extremely well for being an open dynamic.  it nearly rivals open planars. 
-tonal balance from bass to midrange is extremely good.  some mid-bass bloom helps compensate for bottomless bass extension.  midrange has a slight de-emphasis around 2khz, which adds to its sense of realism and mitigates any shoutiness.  sounds very similar to 560, only slightly brighter.  bringing down treble by 3db should make it very ideal.
-low treble is too strong.  it's not piercing, but it's definitely hard, and has a glare.
-high treble is well balanced.
-sound is for the most part engaging, but can at times lead to be dry.

I'm hoping to correct the dryness with a valhalla2, as well as just making it slightly better sounding in general.  Will probably have to resort to anax-mod to correct the low treble glare.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:35 PM Post #18,369 of 28,989
  I've briefly listened to the HD800 throughout the years at stores on different setups, but never was intrigued by them too much.  Now I finally have a pair I can listen to for long spans of time via my own gear and with other headphones of mine to compare to.

First impressions:

-soundstage isn't as large as it's hyped up to be.  it's larger than normal, but not huge.  width is fairly good, I wish I had more depth.
-imaging is precise and coherent.  this is the hd800's strongest aspect
-instrument separation is not better than my 560 or any other planar I've tried, but the coherency of the sound is.  
-bass extends down extremely well for being an open dynamic.  it nearly rivals open planars. 
-tonal balance from bass to midrange is extremely good.  some mid-bass bloom helps compensate for bottomless bass extension.  midrange has a slight de-emphasis around 2khz, which adds to its sense of realism and mitigates any shoutiness.  sounds very similar to 560, only slightly brighter.  bringing down treble by 3db should make it very ideal.
-low treble is too strong.  it's not piercing, but it's definitely hard, and has a glare.
-high treble is well balanced.
-sound is for the most part engaging, but can at times lead to be dry.

I'm hoping to correct the dryness with a valhalla2, as well as just making it slightly better sounding in general.  Will probably have to resort to anax-mod to correct the low treble glare.

Do you feel the Asgard 2 has enough power for the HD800? do you think they are a good match in general?
Can you compare to your LCD 3? Thanks.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:37 PM Post #18,370 of 28,989
^ having auditioned and A-B'ed the 560 and 800, I found that their sound signatures almost very similar.
If I don't own an HD800, I think I would be happy with 560.
But as the difference in prices between these 2 phones in where I come from is only about US$150, lots of headfiers here choose the HD800.

I think I read somewhere in headfi that some users who have both decided to sell one of them due to their almost similar sq.

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #18,371 of 28,989
Since the below posting includes the HD800s I am linking it here, so any nice folks can feel free to disagree with, or if perhaps it may help any prospective buyers:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/764154/cambridge-meet-impressions-25-april-2015/105#post_11553692

Apr 28, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #18,372 of 28,989
  Do you feel the Asgard 2 has enough power for the HD800? do you think they are a good match in general?
Can you compare to your LCD 3? Thanks.

I wouldn't say it's a question of power, the Asgard2 has plenty of that.  Rarely do I crank the pot past noon, and I always stay on low gain.   As far as matching, I don't know.  I guess I'll find out when I eventually get a Valhalla2, which is said to be super for the HD800.

The LCD3 (my particular unit anyways) has been sold off, I need to update my sig for that.  It has perhaps the best tonal balance I ever heard, but it has a tad too much upper treble.  Its sound is murky in comparison to the 560 and especially HD800.  I wouldn't say it's an issue of lacking enough treble, but an issue of lack of coherency and definition.  LCD3 is definitely super detailed and the bass is super controlled, but still soft in comparison to the HD800 and 560.  This is LCD3 I'm talking about.  I also wouldn't put too much stock on this comparison, because it seems like Audeze still hasn't nailed consistency yet, so no doubt my LCD3 sounds different compared to someone else's.  If it weren't for comfort I might have still had the LCD3.

^ having auditioned and A-B'ed the 560 and 800, I found that their sound signatures almost very similar.
If I don't own an HD800, I think I would be happy with 560.
But as the difference in prices between these 2 phones in where I come from is only about US$150, lots of headfiers here choose the HD800.

I think I read somewhere in headfi that some users who have both decided to sell one of them due to their almost similar sq.

They do sound very alike.  

Apr 28, 2015 at 9:47 PM Post #18,373 of 28,989

smily_headphones1.gif

How are you liking the sound so far? can you compare with your T1?
Thanks.

I find them both in the same league, but for me the 800 edges out the T1 in a couple ways:

I find the 800 build quality better than the T1. Better, in fact, than any other phone I've handled. The fit and finish of these headphones ooze precision and craft. The 800 frequently looks cartoonish or grotesque in photographs, but they're a different beast in person. I find their size, heft, and quality combine such that they're a genuine pleasure to handle.

I find them more comfortable than any other can I've tried, for strictly personal reasons. I can't explain it, but after about 45 minutes or so, my right outer ear, and only my right, aches wearing the T1. It did the same thing with the Denons I recently sold, and with the Grados I still have. The 800 ear cups hover over my ears, though, so I can wear them for hours without any discomfort. That's a huge, huge plus. Other than that very personal quibble, I found the T1s very plush and comfortable.

Sound-wise, they seem siblings separated at birth.

I think under most conditions, the T1 present a more forgiving soundscape without sacrificing anything head-fiers look for in a headphone. I found them very detailed, spacious, quick, clean, clear and overall, quite fun. 

I think, though, the very perceptive comment I read elsewhere here, and I regret I can't cite the person who said it, that the 800s are stethoscopes, is the most compelling and truthful nutshell analysis.

To me, it seems the 800s present what's in your audio stream and get entirely out of the way while doing it. If you haven't very good gear, you'll know it. If you do have good gear, you'll appreciate it all the more.

I'm very glad I've the Sony and the Headroom to combine with the 800, else I think I'd find them too revealing.

I have a lot of CDs. I started collecting CDs back in the 80s-90s and never considered digital downloads. CDs hold up better than hard drives, and I feel like I have something to put in my hands for the money I spend. According to Sony, and a number of independent observers, the XA5400ES upsamples CDs to near DSD quality. I don't know enough to validate Sony's assertions, but I do know that my discs sound more liquid playing through it than from any other source.

The Headroom Max also pairs well, particularly with the crossfeed circuit activated. Crossfeed bumps the bass a bit, smooths and coheres the soundstage, and most importantly, tames the highs. The added warmth manages to settle down the treble. Activate either brightness filter on the Headroom, and the experience fatigues quickly.

So, I think without that specific source and amp in place, the 800s would be too much headphone for the price. But combined with that gear, the 800s are something very special.

If I hadn't them, I'd happily continue to use the T1s.

Apr 28, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #18,374 of 28,989
I had both at the same time and found that the sound signature was close but the HE560 was an HD800 wanna be delivering about 85% of the HD800 without the musicality.  When listening the the HE560, I inevitably switch to the HD800. So, I sold off the HE560 and ended up with the HE400i which I find more fun and and engaging but less technical.

Don't get me wrong,. The HE560 is a wonderful headphone and if I didn't have the HD800, they may have been my end game.  Paired with the Naim DAC-V1, it was a wonderful combo.  The HD800, properly amped, delivers more. The HE560 seems to be more tolerant of amplification.

Quote:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back