The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #18,332 of 28,989

Some people hear things that are objectionable to them when pairing their HD800s with the Asgard. Some people claim the Asgard is deficient in some way because of what they have read others say. I prefer to try things for myself and come to my own conclusions. I listen to my HD800s on a Vali, an Asgard and three other Schiit amps. And the HD800s sound great on all of them.

+1

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #18,333 of 28,989
  While decent, with the HD800 I would pass on the low-end Schiit stuff unless that's where you want to start. I started with it and it lasted all of a couple days with me.  The Asgard does not show of anywhere near the potential of this headphone. Never tried the Asgard 2, but it can't be that much improved or you'd here more about it.

For the $ asked, there's nothing low-end about the Schiit stuff(Asgard, Vali...), IMO of course.  Not many people have $ to throw at unneeded stuff.  Let's not put a class label on components that punch through way beyond their price range.

Apr 26, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #18,334 of 28,989
   For the $ asked, there's nothing low-end about the Schiit stuff(Asgard, Vali...), IMO of course.  Not many people have $ to throw at unneeded stuff.  Let's not put a class label on components that punch through way beyond their price range.

Exactly!!

Apr 26, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #18,335 of 28,989
That's just letting political correctness get in the way of opinion. IMHO the Asgard wasn't/isn't even in the same bracket to show off what the HD800 can do. The one I got was used so it was well broken in. Then better caps were thrown at it, but they didn't such a big roll in that circuit, because they didn't do much for it.  

I used a Lyr and a Bifrost for more than a year. Then was happy with that with top tier tubes (1960s Siemens CCa).  I thought that was the cats ass until I built a Crack. Then speed balled it (C4S boards). Then from there better tubes, caps, wiring, pot, until I was really happy. I didn't think I would ever need to upgrade. My Crack amp is a pretty serious piece of gear.  I didn't think you could get much better.

But I got the itch and I decided to try out the Mainline kit.  Well I was wrong. The Crack is thumpy and shouty.  Some recordings I simply could not listen to with it because it was too piercing which I chalked up to be the recording. Eg the HDTracks 24/192 Diana Krall albums. Tuns out the Crack is not all what it was cracked up to be.

The Mainline opened up detail I didn't think possible, but it does so in a manner that is simply ... sublime.  I've also read it compared DNA Status by someone who owns both. The Mainline holds its own and its a close thing with the DNA just edging out ahead... but it costs 2K more + tubes.

Anyhow, I've been at it with the HD800 + Amp thing for a couple years now. Not a ton of expenditures. I've been doing it on the 'cheap'.  The Asgard is on the cheap, but it might lead you to tossing in the towel early with the HD800.

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #18,336 of 28,989
^ I'll chalk this one up for good intention.  
biggrin.gif

I've helped a friend build a crack.  I wasn't impressed with it driving HD800 by any means.  Vali vs. Crack (speed ball or not) is not a huge difference in SQ for the price disparity.  On the cheap, I'll still go with the Vali.  Btw,  I've heard rumor that there might not be an end to amp upgrading that will bring out the best of the HD800. Therefore, enjoy what you currently have and can afford.  Listen to the music, not the equipment.  
beerchug.gif

Apr 26, 2015 at 8:18 PM Post #18,337 of 28,989
In my case the Vali never showed up until after my Crack purchase. I did have a chance to listen to it at a meet but missed my chance there. Got talking and all that - when I should have been listening! :)

Quote:
  Listen to the music, not the equipment.  
beerchug.gif

That's just crazy talk. 
blink.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #18,339 of 28,989
Initial impression of my HD 800 from 1 hour of listening, LOVE THEM, but I do have 1 issue and that is comfort. They are so loose on my head, I move my head left and right and the headphones move. If i look down, they nearly come flying off my head. I have a big head as well, the Fidelio X1's don't even fit my head and the HD 650's are tight as hell on my head. 

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a headphone that was made incorrectly? Am I wearing this wrong?

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #18,340 of 28,989
  Looking to buy a used HD800 - seller says its 2nd generation with Serial number 20266 - are there major variations between generations? Does this s/n look good? 

I asked this question earlier in the thread. The answer was that there aren't any systematic differences between generations....

Apr 27, 2015 at 4:34 PM Post #18,341 of 28,989
  Initial impression of my HD 800 from 1 hour of listening, LOVE THEM, but I do have 1 issue and that is comfort. They are so loose on my head, I move my head left and right and the headphones move. If i look down, they nearly come flying off my head. I have a big head as well, the Fidelio X1's don't even fit my head and the HD 650's are tight as hell on my head. 

Am I doing something wrong? Do I have a headphone that was made incorrectly? Am I wearing this wrong?

That's about the way mine fit. The HD650s are tight for me as well.

I won't be doing any jogging in my HD800s.
wink_face.gif

Apr 27, 2015 at 5:14 PM Post #18,342 of 28,989

Try placing them on your head and see if this positioning helps.

Move the ear cups forward such that the backs of your ears are close to, or in contact with, the backs of the ear cups.
Then rotate the head band forward so that it rests on the forward half of your noggin.

For me this is the best SQ and the best most secure fit.

JJ

Apr 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #18,343 of 28,989
Try placing them on your head and see if this positioning helps.

Move the ear cups forward such that the backs of your ears are close to, or in contact with, the backs of the ear cups.
Then rotate the head band forward so that it rests on the forward half of your noggin.

For me this is the best SQ and the best most secure fit.

JJ

Thank you for this suggestion, unfortunately I had to step out for a bit but when I get home later I will try this method.

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:37 PM Post #18,344 of 28,989
  Not sure about Asgard 2 but I would pick Vali > Asgard 1 for HD800 100%.  I used my WA22 as benchmark for this comparison.

I heard the WA22 with the HD800 at AXPONA last week, and was completely blown away. The music sounded so much rich and smooth, extremely organic.
Eric Clapton sounded amazing.
Do you think the Schiit amp's that you mentioned above play similar to WA22 or the WA22 definately better?

Apr 27, 2015 at 11:44 PM Post #18,345 of 28,989
  I heard the WA22 with the HD800 at AXPONA last week, and was completely blown away. The music sounded so much rich and smooth, extremely organic.
Eric Clapton sounded amazing.
Do you think the Schiit amp's that you mentioned above play similar to WA22 or the WA22 definately better?

I can't compare sound but I can compare price. The Vali is $119.00. The Asgard 2 is $249.00. The WA22 is $1995.00 without upgrades.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back