The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2015 at 9:27 PM Post #17,071 of 28,989
  Yeah, I have seen that. What I want to do is figure out an amp/dac that will work great with both the LCD-X and HD-800 if that is possible. And I'd prefer balanced. 

Honestly, no matter what people tell you, balanced really barely makes a difference. The stack you have is almost complete. Get a Valhalla 2 and complete the Schiit stack. :D

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:28 PM Post #17,072 of 28,989

Honestly, no matter what people tell you, balanced really barely makes a difference. The stack you have is almost complete. Get a Valhalla 2 and complete the Schiit stack. :D

...unless your amp's topography is a balanced amp...then you should go balanced to realize the benefits of 100% of your amp. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #17,073 of 28,989

Is it a commonly held opinion hear that balanced amps don't do much more been single ended?

I could probably spend up to about $2000 for an amp.  Of course, I'd prefer to spend less. LOL

In a way, I have been hoping to be able to stay with SS amps  as I really don't think I would like messing with tubes. But, if I could find one incredible amp, tube or SS that would be incredible for both cans I'd be excited. 

I want to be able to use powered speakers with the amp as well. So not a huge list of wants. 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:58 PM Post #17,074 of 28,989
Is it a commonly held opinion hear that balanced amps don't do much more been single ended?

I could probably spend up to about $2000 for an amp.  Of course, I'd prefer to spend less. LOL

In a way, I have been hoping to be able to stay with SS amps  as I really don't think I would like messing with tubes. But, if I could find one incredible amp, tube or SS that would be incredible for both cans I'd be excited. 

I want to be able to use powered speakers with the amp as well. So not a huge list of wants. 
regular_smile%20.gif

Looks like you want a Ragnarok. :)

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #17,075 of 28,989
The HD800 driven will with synergistic equipment is not just great, but phenomenal....

++1. IMHO it beats the LCD-X/3C/3F. The only headphone I have heard that tops a well matched, modded HD800 given plenty of juice is a modded HE6 also given plenty of juice.

And by giving the HD800 plenty of juice, I am talking something like the SS Simaudio 430HA (8W) or an 845 based SET speaker amp via the HiFiMan Adapter box (20W). These two beasties drive my HD800 better than anything else I have tried. They lift the HD800 into a another realm.

Second place goes to my WA5 via the HiFiMan Adapter box (8W). Still very good and significantly better dynamics than the HPH output option.

I am toying with the idea of wiring up the HiFiMan adapter box to the 'B' set of speaker terminals of my power amp to see what 150W can do for the HD800 and HE6. Might have to give it a try
wink_face.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #17,076 of 28,989
  Officially in the club and all I can say is that these headphones are stupid good. I can't even comment on the sound quality after listening to a full album because I still cannot get over the amazing soundstage. Will be interesting to compare when my PS1000s arrive. 

Let us know the outcome but I have a feeling that you might be a little disappointed with PS1000s in relation to HD800.  I like the sound signature of PS1000 for certain music genres but, IMO, the 2 are not on the same technicality level.  YMMV.

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:25 PM Post #17,077 of 28,989
Looks like you want a Ragnarok. :)

Well that's what I've been thinking. Price wise, feature wise, it fits the bill. Just don't know if sound wise it will as well.

++1. IMHO it beats the LCD-X/3C/3F. The only headphone I have heard that tops a well matched, modded HD800 given plenty of juice is a modded HE6 also given plenty of juice.

And by giving the HD800 plenty of juice, I am talking something like the SS Simaudio 430HA (8W) or an 845 based SET speaker amp via the HiFiMan Adapter box (20W). These two beasties drive my HD800 better than anything else I have tried. They lift the HD800 into a another realm.

Second place goes to my WA5 via the HiFiMan Adapter box (8W). Still very good and significantly better dynamics than the HPH output option.

I am toying with the idea of wiring up the HiFiMan adapter box to the 'B' set of speaker terminals of my power amp to see what 150W can do for the HD800 and HE6. Might have to give it a try
wink_face.gif

That looks like a nice amp. At $3500 it's probably a big more than I want to spend. But it could be doable. Would it be better than the Ragnarok?

Feb 18, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #17,078 of 28,989
That looks like a nice amp. At $3500 it's probably a big more than I want to spend. But it could be doable. Would it be better than the Ragnarok?

I have never seen or heard the Ragnarok, so can't comment on the relative performance.

The 430HA kills my Auralic Taurus and WA5, if that is any help. This is the amp only, fed from a Vega DAC. I have no need for the add-on DAC for the 430HA.

Feb 19, 2015 at 2:27 AM Post #17,080 of 28,989

regular_smile%20.gif

And I use the Puredac with my powered Adam Artist 5 speakers and sub...superb!

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:40 AM Post #17,081 of 28,989
How much room for improvement is given with e ifi idsd micro compared to the amps you mentioned above (neo 430 HA, BMC Ultradac, Ragnarok) ? Would it be worth the extra money? You could get 1 or 2 complementary headphones or even active speakers for the price of these amps, is it really worth it or just a subtile improvement if you don't know how to spend your money? I also would have to give up the x-bass feature of the ifi which i like very much with the hd800 and use a software eq instead, which is anything but ideal I think. So would perhaps the advantages of a high-end amp/dac over the ifi get exhausted by using a software eq instead of the completely analogue x-bass feature?

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:04 PM Post #17,084 of 28,989
HD800 Pre-Broken in Review

Setup:
Source: Macbook Air
File Type: FLAC and ALAC (16 bit and 24 bit)
DAC: Woo Audio WA7
Amp: Woo Audio WA7 (high impedance)
Albums listen to: 
The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf (24-bit Vinyl)
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral 
Fleetwood Mac - Greatest Hits
Miles Davis - Miles Davis

I don't plan on referencing many tracks in my review. Instead, I plan on referencing them in my head-to-head comparison with the PS1000.

Build Quality - 10/10
I don't think much needs to be said here so I will just sum it up by saying the build quality is top notch. I was never a fan of the HD800 look, mostly from pictures online, but man they look a lot better in person. What I thought was ugly based on online pictures is actually beautiful in real life. Part of that is feeling the excellent build quality in your hand.

Comfort - 9.5/10
These cans are very comfortable. The padding under the headband is superb, yet it doesn't completely disappear. The ear pads are also very comfortable. Not a lot to complain about, but I will say they are not the most comfortable headphones in my collection. That would go the AD700. Light weight, great padding.. basically disappear on my head. Aside from the disappearing factor, the HD800 are as comfortable as it gets.

Sound Quality - 10/10
I will admit that I really had no idea what to expect when I put these headphones on my head. Without a doubt, I felt luxury on my head like I just sat down in a jaguar for the first time. However, I was still worried about the sound signature, especially since I am a loyal Grado fanboy. So, were they going to sound dark, slow, and boring or were they just going to sound flat, unnatural, and just okay to me? Honestly, I fully prepared myself for the worst. Well, 10 seconds into Magical Mystery tour and I was floored. I was stunned. I did not know what was going on. Drums to the left, crisp vocals above my head and the strumming of a bass to the upper right, trumpets and more vocals gently caressing my right ear. Everything is sounding crystal clear and natural. I'm still floored because i can hardly take in the sound quality. I am still trying to wrap my head around the soundstage. It is just perfect. 

Bass - 9.25/10
Deep, detailed and fast. Not a lot of impact, but just enough for me. Enough to push some air around that your ears will feel. Nine Inch Nails thrives on deep and extensive bass and the HD800 brings out every little detail. Not only that, it presents the bass as if it is 3D. Closer is a perfectly example of this. You have your bass beat moving the song along positioned behind you and then you have another frequency of bass line alternating from left to right. And not to be lost is a very faint bass line also playing in the distance (position further behind you) that is lost on my RS1i. It is incredible. The HD800s bass presentation is uncanny. It is presented in a way that I did not think was possible. I think my 9.25 is a little low. But I know the bass is going to get better and better so I will leave room to improve the score over time.

Mids - 10/10
Pure bliss. Guitars sing. Guitars crunch. Vocals sooth your ears. Vocals sound as real as it gets. Seriously. In pains me to says this, but the HD800 might have the best mids I have ever heard. In fact, I just looked over at my RS1i and apologized. Yes the RS1i rips, has amazing decay and just sounds so natural, but man the HD800 is so soothing, so real, and every detail is there. But what won me over is Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac. Hearing every single detail in Stevie Nick's voice is beautiful. The vocal presentation is incredible. I feel like she is singing to me, a few rows back, and no one else is in the arena but me. To compare, with the RS1i, I feel as if I am Stevie Nicks singing to a huge crowd. Oh, and the drums. How could I forget. Lets just say the HD800 puts out the best drum sound quality I have ever heard. Perfectly balanced and perfectly presented. Fleetwood Mac has a lot of basic drum beats with little complicated tweaks that you just do not hear with other headphones. But the HD800 (and the RS1i as well) bring those little drum hits, beats, and fills out like magic. I don't know what the HD800 does better.. drums or vocals. But what matters is that they do them better than any other headphone.

Treble - 9.75/10
Clarity, clarity, clarity and more clarity. The highs are just crystal clear and so detailed. I really can't say more than that they are just fantastic. For me, I have no fatigue at all. I can crank the volume up to about half-way on my WA7 without any issues, distortion or fatigue. 

Soundstage - 10/10
The holy grail. Do I need to say more? Okay, I will. Holy FRAK! Okay that's it. You get the point. Okay okay, I will actually write a real review of the sound stage. The HD800's soundstage presentation is stupid good. It is so SOOO good I find myself turning my head wondering where that sound just came from. Is someone behind me? Am I about to die!? Nope, it is just music. Don't listen to these headphones in the dark without a spotter. 

Conclusion - 9.9/10
For me, the HD800 brings realism and clarity while the RS1i brings naturalism and punch. The RS1i is warm, smooth and sweet and the HD800 is cool, relaxed, and polite, but is not afraid to slap you in the face when it needs to. The soundstage is wonderfully presented, 3D, and natural. My girlfriend, who never has ANY interest in my headphones (except for the cool looking tube amps), wanted to see what the fuss was all about. She put them on, loaded up Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac, and did not say a single word for 4 minutes and 24 seconds. Finally she says "Is this real life? I don't even like Fleetwood Mac and this is the best music I have ever heard. Why would you ever listen to music with anything other than these headphones?" Simply put, the HD800 is the best headphone I have ever heard (and she agrees).

I look forward to reporting back in a week with my updated HD800 impressions and a PS1000 comparison.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:53 PM Post #17,085 of 28,989
  HD800 Pre-Broken in Review...

...My girlfriend, who never has ANY interest in my headphones (except for the cool looking tube amps), wanted to see what the fuss was all about. She put them on, loaded up Gypsy by Fleetwood Mac, and did not say a single word for 4 minutes and 24 seconds. Finally she says "Is this real life? I don't even like Fleetwood Mac and this is the best music I have ever heard. Why would you ever listen to music with anything other than these headphones?" ...

Congrats to your HD800, don't worry it will still get a little better over the next coming weeks.
And of course also congrats to your girl friend. If she gives such an "unsolicited comment" most likely without knowing all the fuss and the price (?) then it really speaks for the SQ of the HD800 and you are not completely over the top with your enthusiastic early review. Enjoy
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back