The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 18, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #17,056 of 28,989
I'm thinking of getting the vali later on, and using the Geek Out as DAC, but I'm worried about double amping, because there is no line out, do you think it will be close to the Dacmagic+ Vali ,SQ wise?
Thanks.
Possible one of the best budget system for HD800. Was using it myself for a longer period when I was waiting for gear. I actually enjoy this combo more than other more expensive ones.

Feb 18, 2015 at 12:19 PM Post #17,057 of 28,989
I'm thinking of getting the vali later on, and using the Geek Out as DAC, but I'm worried about double amping, because there is no line out, do you think it will be close to the Dacmagic+ Vali ,SQ wise?
Thanks.

My guess is that this will be a great budget set up, many use their GO as dac to portable amp. I think it will sound awsome with the Vali.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #17,058 of 28,989

I'll actually be met with a cup of coffee according to many reviews of the place I'm going. I've put a couple of pictures below. It's considered the most friendly and gear filled place in the UK. You name it, they have it. Pretty much. It's called hifi-lounge.

http://www.highendheadphones.co.uk

Thanks to you both for quick response.

Hi potkettleblack, These guys are to be recommended. I was at the opening event of this show room and besides putting Heaven II in ears together in a little group, talked to the guys and they are very friendly and easy going. Hope you are enjoying your stay.

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #17,060 of 28,989
Officially in the club and all I can say is that these headphones are stupid good. I can't even comment on the sound quality after listening to a full album because I still cannot get over the amazing soundstage. Will be interesting to compare when my PS1000s arrive. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #17,061 of 28,989
Officially in the club and all I can say is that these headphones are stupid good. I can't even comment on the sound quality after listening to a full album because I still cannot get over the amazing soundstage. Will be interesting to compare when my PS1000s arrive. 

Welcome! If your impressions are so positive from the start, wait until you have 100-300 hours of music listening through these. Mind blowing good. No matter the source, despite what many people say, these just sound darn good.

Feb 18, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #17,062 of 28,989
Hey guys - I have been thinking about getting an HD800 to contrast with my LCD-X. 

Thing is, I don't want to have to use 2 separate amps - one for each headphone. 

I doubt my Asgard 2 will drive the 800 well, is that right?

So, will the Ragnarok pair well with the HD-800. If so, that would solve my problem. 

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #17,063 of 28,989
  Hey guys - I have been thinking about getting an HD800 to contrast with my LCD-X. 

Thing is, I don't want to have to use 2 separate amps - one for each headphone. 

I doubt my Asgard 2 will drive the 800 well, is that right?

So, will the Ragnarok pair well with the HD-800. If so, that would solve my problem. 

Do you already have the Ragnarok? It pairs very well with the HD800, and so will the Asgard 2. Ragnarok has more ... powa! Seriously, it emphasizes all the things that make HD800 good and bad at the same time lol ... Still the best Solid State Amp with the HD800 I have heard.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #17,064 of 28,989

Do you already have the Ragnarok? It pairs very well with the HD800, and so will the Asgard 2. Ragnarok has more ... powa! Seriously, it emphasizes all the things that make HD800 good and bad at the same time lol ... Still the best Solid State Amp with the HD800 I have heard.

Nope, not yet. Been trying to determine if I could use it to power both cans and do it with terrific results. 

I had thought the Asgard 2 would not power the HD-800 very well. So if it will, that is very interesting.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:39 PM Post #17,065 of 28,989
  Nope, not yet. Been trying to determine if I could use it to power both cans and do it with terrific results. 

I had thought the Asgard 2 would not power the HD-800 very well. So if it will, that is very interesting.

Honestly, it really depends on what you are trying to get out of the HD800. One must always try a new headphones with music and system (DAC/Amp) familiar to self before determining any shortcomings, and then look for what amp or DAC can address those shortcomings, if any.

Asgard 2 has far more than enough power to drive the HD800. Heck, my Audioengine D1 and Sony PHA-2 also have enough power to drive HD800 to ear bleeding volumes. It's a matter of whether there is "synergy" and dynamics between the source, amp, and headphones or not. And nobody can answer that for you except your brain and your ears.

And remember, in the end of the day, the real difference in sound comes from the headphones. HD800 is a really nice headphone to slowly and step by step build a system around.

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:44 PM Post #17,066 of 28,989

Honestly, it really depends on what you are trying to get out of the HD800. One must always try a new headphones with music and system (DAC/Amp) familiar to self before determining any shortcomings, and then look for what amp or DAC can address those shortcomings, if any.

Asgard 2 has far more than enough power to drive the HD800. Heck, my Audioengine D1 and Sony PHA-2 also have enough power to drive HD800 to ear bleeding volumes. It's a matter of whether there is "synergy" and dynamics between the source, amp, and headphones or not. And nobody can answer that for you except your brain and your ears.

Interesting. Unfortunately I am not anywhere where I can demo equipment prior to buying it. But so far so good. Just doing lots of study and have been very pleased with my purchases to date.

What is the common opinion of the Bifrost Uber with the Asgard 2 regarding the HD-800? Do they pair well?

Feb 18, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #17,067 of 28,989
  Interesting. Unfortunately I am not anywhere where I can demo equipment prior to buying it. But so far so good. Just doing lots of study and have been very pleased with my purchases to date.

What is the common opinion of the Bifrost Uber with the Asgard 2 regarding the HD-800? Do they pair well?

Before my Valhalla 2 and Concero HD, I had the same combo as you loaned for 2 weeks. They do pair well, certainly had enough power and the right dynamics. However, it was a bit bright for my tastes, and HD800 is already slightly leaning towards bright (think of it as opposite of LCD-3), so Asgard 2 was too bright for me, but only slightly. It certainly works though, and all the micro-details and soundstage HD800 is famous for is clearly evident.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #17,068 of 28,989

Before my Valhalla 2 and Concero HD, I had the same combo as you loaned for 2 weeks. They do pair well, certainly had enough power and the right dynamics. However, it was a bit bright for my tastes, and HD800 is already slightly leaning towards bright (think of it as opposite of LCD-3), so Asgard 2 was too bright for me, but only slightly. It certainly works though, and all the micro-details and soundstage HD800 is famous for is clearly evident.

Great info to ponder. Not sure I will like the HD-800 sound but I hear over and over that driven well it is great. 

Thanks.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:10 PM Post #17,069 of 28,989
The HD800 driven will with synergistic equipment is not just great, but phenomenal.  Look back through the thread, there are many people who enjoy the Valhalla 2 with the HD800 and there are many comments that the Asgard is on the bright side.

Quote:
  Great info to ponder. Not sure I will like the HD-800 sound but I hear over and over that driven well it is great. 

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back