The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 19, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #16,471 of 29,017
Does anyone have the Schiit Asgard 2/Bifrost Uber and use it with your HD800?

Is there enough power to drive them with this combination?

Jan 19, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #16,473 of 29,017
  For aftermarket cables for the HD800, I have the Draug v2 terminating in 4-pin XLR with 6.35mm adaptor - which I bought - and APureSound v3 cable terminating in 6.35mm - which I received for free as part of the HD800 promo I got. As far as I know, the former is pure copper while the latter is silver plated copper. I only bought the former as I intend to get a balanced amp in the future and the latter wasn't XLR.

I can only tell the difference between them on some of the more "loud" tracks I have - in that scenario, the Draug v2 comes across as slightly less strident than the latter. I must confess that I cannot discern any significant bass differences. Overall, I consider both to suit my tastes better than the stock HD800 cable on my current audio stack. 

Let me just state that I am still amused I can hear the difference between cables, even when all existing measurements and theory indicate there shouldn't be any. Before committing to a massive purchase, I would advise people to audition an aftermarket cable with the existing stock HD800 cable. If you can't hear any difference, there's no point to purchasing one. 

I honestly was a non-believer, but after reading David Mahlers 58 flagship HP thread, it dawned on me "dude knows audio," when he said the HD800 is an HP that responds to a cable upgrade, I thought it was worth a try.

Jan 19, 2015 at 11:38 PM Post #16,474 of 29,017

For aftermarket cables for the HD800, I have the Draug v2 terminating in 4-pin XLR with 6.35mm adaptor - which I bought - and APureSound v3 cable terminating in 6.35mm - which I received for free as part of the HD800 promo I got. As far as I know, the former is pure copper while the latter is silver plated copper. I only bought the former as I intend to get a balanced amp in the future and the latter wasn't XLR.

I can only tell the difference between them on some of the more "loud" tracks I have - in that scenario, the Draug v2 comes across as slightly less strident than the latter. I must confess that I cannot discern any significant bass differences. Overall, I consider both to suit my tastes better than the stock HD800 cable on my current audio stack. 

Let me just state that I am still amused I can hear the difference between cables, even when all existing measurements and theory indicate there shouldn't be any. Before committing to a massive purchase, I would advise people to audition an aftermarket cable with the existing stock HD800 cable. If you can't hear any difference, there's no point to purchasing one. 

I honestly was a non-believer, but after reading David Mahlers 58 flagship HP thread, it dawned on me "dude knows audio," when he said the HD800 is an HP that responds to a cable upgrade, I thought it was worth a try.

I really like my new Toxic Cables 22ga Silver Widow cables. I have the previous version too in balanced and they suit me well. I also really enjoyed the Nordost Heimdall 2 cables. A bit darker. Sometimes the HD800 can benefit from that.

Jan 20, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #16,475 of 29,017

+1

Jan 20, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #16,479 of 29,017
how is the HD800 with the Ifi ?

Pretty good. This is the iDSD micro, so at normal mode and with ie match turned off, there's plenty of power for the HD800 and the HD650 before it. I do have to state up front that for me, the volume pot stays between 9 and 10 o'clock for most of the modern pop stuff and 12 o'clock for classical and live recordings. Anything more and the funky FR curve of the HD800 will start to kick in and murder my ears. 
wink.gif

Based on some research, I am currently waiting for a Valhalla 2 to see if I can hear any long term differences between solid state / tubes.

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:13 AM Post #16,481 of 29,017
  Is anyone selling their HD800's and buy the HE1000's instead?

Yup . sure. My HD800 is already sold. But I've the worst difficulties to find a place to buy the HE-1000 and even to find its price. Would you be kind enough to give all informations I need ?

Seriously ...
rolleyes.gif

Jan 21, 2015 at 5:29 AM Post #16,482 of 29,017
Some speculations flying around by saying USD5k, but I dont know of its true or not.

Why dont you send an email to Hifiman?

Quote:

Yup . sure. My HD800 is already sold. But I've the worst difficulties to find a place to buy the HE-1000 and even to find its price. Would you be kind enough to give all informations I need ?

Seriously ...
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back