The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #15,586 of 29,013
I use mine a lot and I just had the dealer change the pads last week. These pads are EXPENSIVE. At least they are in my local market. I really waited too long to change them. It makes a difference. I've had my set less than a year but I bought them used I guess they are about two years old. I doubt I would go a year without changing them after this experience. Much more comfy.

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:41 AM Post #15,587 of 29,013
About 6-8 hours per day, occasionally tops 14 hours per day on holidays.

Wish I could use mine that long everyday... :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:45 AM Post #15,588 of 29,013
Thanks for the inputs guys.
Curious to know further (mine not worn out yet, just bought a couple of months),

Does the partially / fully worn out pads affect the sonic (one way or another) ?
In terms of comfort wise, are we talking about the ears touching the inner parts etc ?

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:13 AM Post #15,589 of 29,013
Mine are Two and a half years old.  I have it since July 2013 and my pads and the Headband show signs of use.  I'll change them for Xmas although I could certainly use the old ones during a lot of time. :wink:

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:05 AM Post #15,590 of 29,013
For about three years, now, I've routinely used these size large disposable, elasticized, ear pad covers on all of my fullsize headphones:

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-Earmuff-style/dp/B009CDXPCG

They're great for protecting velour and leather.  

I've found them to be sonically transparent, but surely they have some impact - I'm just saying that if it were measured, it's got to be a fraction of a dB of attenuation. Best of all, they make the ear pads more comfortable in warm weather - especially leather pads, as with the LCD-2.  

They're large enough to fit my HD800, but not large enough for the AKG K550 for example.  

You can just make out the covers in this photo of the HD800, on the side table at my recliner:

iPad 3 streaming TIDAL 44/16 > Pure i-20 Coaxial Out > Metrum Octave MkII > NuForce HA-200 > HD800

The Pure i-20 is rubber-banded to the marble slab of cheese slicer for ballast.  
tongue.gif

A smaller size of disposable cover works well with the DT1350 or Amperior, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-standard-size/dp/B009CF1NM8

Everyone who has ever bought used headphones from me can attest that the pads were in like-new condition. The foam inside some pads might break down over a sufficient time frame, but at least I'm not accelerating their demise by having to wash the pads.

Mike

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:48 AM Post #15,591 of 29,013
Anyone know the best place to buy pads in France or Euro-zone?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:53 AM Post #15,592 of 29,013
I washed my earpads in the washing machine and i didnt use any washing detergent so they left a little sticky from sweat, gonna wash them again with some. Been using my HD800 daily like 8-12 hours for two years, and they have seen a lot of action from games so they have quite a bit of sweat in them, im gonna replace them soon but first well see how the new wash goes. I don't have any wear on the pads. I have broken cable from the connector probably because of the user not using them with silk gloves. Some paint have been chipped away also. They have been dropped couple of times and i still feel these are in proper use undestructable versus headphones made with plastic.

I ordered new cables and deciding what to buy and waiting the order it took like 3 months without the use of my HD800. Now that i have balanced setup im in love again. These are just amazing considering comfort and the sound is clear and euforic. With these i have started to listen different styles of music in would never thought i would listen.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:07 PM Post #15,593 of 29,013

iPad 3 streaming TIDAL 44/16 > Pure i-20 Coaxial Out > Metrum Octave MkII > NuForce HA-200 > HD800

The Pure i-20 is rubber-banded to the marble slab of cheese slicer for ballast.  
tongue.gif

A smaller size of disposable cover works well with the DT1350 or Amperior, for example:

http://www.amazon.com/Small-Stretchable-Headphone-Covers-standard-size/dp/B009CF1NM8

Everyone who has ever bought used headphones from me can attest that the pads were in like-new condition. The foam inside some pads might break down over a sufficient time frame, but at least I'm not accelerating their demise by having to wash the pads.

Mike

Nice setup Mike. Have you tried the Pure i-20 with any lightning port devices instead of the 30 pin connectors?

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:35 PM Post #15,594 of 29,013
^ Thanks Zoom25.

Pure doesn't make a Lightning version of the i-20 (why not?) and I don't have a 30-pin -to- Lightning adapter, although I've seen them on Amazon. My iPad Mini uses a Lightning connector, but I like using the iPad 3 for streaming music this way - having brought it back into service, so to speak, thanks to Tidal. The Retina display is nice, but the larger size of the iPad 3 makes it better in this role than the iPad Mini, because I can read all the text and navigate well, almost at arm's length - without having to move the iPad. And unlike some other iDevice -to-SPDIF converters out there, the Pure i-20 can charge a 30-pin iDevice while it's playing.  The marble slab (or some other heavy ballast) is a must for stability with the fullsize iPad.. Unfortunately, the rubber sole of the i-20 resists every type of adhesive I've tried.  Nothing sticks to it.  So, rubber bands it is...

Meanwhile, except for rare dropouts, I'm really blown away by the quality of Tidal through the Pure i-20 Coaxial Out - it's indistinguishable from 44/16 WAV or FLACs that I've compared, and I enjoy working my way through their playlists to find popular tracks across different genres, marking favorites, exploring the albums they come from, etc.  I'm so busy exploring music, I sometimes have to tell myself to take a break and just shuffle through the favorites I've accumulated thus far.  Tidal has completely changed the way I listen to music. I'm thinking I should hurry up and cell my CDs before nobody wants them.

Mike

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #15,595 of 29,013
  I washed my earpads in the washing machine and i didnt use any washing detergent so they left a little sticky from sweat, gonna wash them again with some. Been using my HD800 daily like 8-12 hours for two years, and they have seen a lot of action from games so they have quite a bit of sweat in them, im gonna replace them soon but first well see how the new wash goes. I don't have any wear on the pads. I have broken cable from the connector probably because of the user not using them with silk gloves. Some paint have been chipped away also. They have been dropped couple of times and i still feel these are in proper use undestructable versus headphones made with plastic.

I ordered new cables and deciding what to buy and waiting the order it took like 3 months without the use of my HD800. Now that i have balanced setup im in love again. These are just amazing considering comfort and the sound is clear and euforic. With these i have started to listen different styles of music in would never thought i would listen.

Well I'm also didn't expect from myself to listen to so many different music styles, but... These headphones just have this magic factor which invite you to seat, relax and enjoy the music for long, long time... :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM Post #15,596 of 29,013
Which combo would you buy for only the HD800!
Does the $1297 option have a substantial difference over the $317?

$317
Wyrd > Modi > Vali

$547
Wyrd > Modi > Valhalla 2

$737
Wyrd > Bifrost Uber > Vali

$967
Wyrd > Bifrost Uber > Valhalla 2

$1067
Wyrd > Gungnir > Vali

$1297
Wyrd > Gungnir > Valhalla 2

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #15,597 of 29,013
Anyone has an idea how much better the Chord Hugo + HDVD 600 + CH 800S (high end cable) + HD800 will sound over the Chord Hugo + HD800? 

If it's only a minor upgrade in sound for $2000, I'll pass the upgrade. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #15,599 of 29,013
  Anyone has an idea how much better the Chord Hugo + HDVD 600 + CH 800S (high end cable) + HD800 will sound over the Chord Hugo + HD800? 

If it's only a minor upgrade in sound for $2000, I'll pass the upgrade. 

IMHO at this level of "fidelty" changes are usually minor and never substantial unless the thing you're switching from has some issues of some sort.

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:17 PM Post #15,600 of 29,013
  Which combo would you buy for only the HD800!
Does the $1297 option have a substantial difference over the $317?

$317
Wyrd > Modi > Vali

$547
Wyrd > Modi > Valhalla 2

$737
Wyrd > Bifrost Uber > Vali

$967
Wyrd > Bifrost Uber > Valhalla 2

$1067
Wyrd > Gungnir > Vali

$1297
Wyrd > Gungnir > Valhalla 2

Modi + Magni or Vali is enough. Why the Wyrd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back