The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 18, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #13,216 of 29,017
  hello guys, i plan on buying hd800 but idk what kind of amp i should get, is there cheap, also if portable thats a plus one that i can bring out full potential?

i plan to use it for gaming/movies/music 
and can it be used for basically consoles also? if so has anybody done it before?

Try superlux ha-3d (around less than 200 USD)

It can drive HD800 very properly at less than 9 o'clock (volume), even if you're only using battery for portable use

It gives very enjoyable sound. I skipped the amp of fostex a8c, only using its amazing DAC and the sound is more full bodied, rounded and weighted (may be the same as tube amp effect?)

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #13,217 of 29,017

I know you get a lot a flack and some old fashioned ribbing, but keep on. Those who read you closely know what you are saying.

ThanX bro.
I really needed to hear that today.

Big UPS man.

It's been a really bad morning!
Thankfully submitted a review into PFO before things went south, but...
Well, its always something right??

WE had to put our oldest pet down yesterday.
I ended up in as LONG listening sesh - w/ my Studio Six and HD800s!

Aug 18, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #13,219 of 29,017
Aug 18, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #13,221 of 29,017
  ThanX bro.

Big UPS man.

Sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't know what that tube amp is but I love it, EL84? I've always tempted to get another dr.z carmen ghia for a hifi stereo rig.

Aug 18, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #13,223 of 29,017
ThanX bro.

Big UPS man.

Sorry to hear about your pet sir. My heart goes out to you and I hope you feel better soon.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM Post #13,224 of 29,017
Hi. Everyone, I've had the HD800 for over a week now. I like how they sound overall, except the treble can be a little harsh on certain tracks. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone keeps talking about how the HD800 sounds more speaker like than other headphones, like how they have a wide soundstage and the music sounds like it's coming from afar.

I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THIS AT ALL with the HD800, or any other headphones for that matter. I am powering them with the Mayflower Objective 2 O2 DAC/amp. Is this amp the problem? I don't understand, I have plenty of Flac files of pop, rock, vocal, trance, acoustic, classical music. All of these which sound like they are coming from next to my ears. Sure the music sounds "airy", but I know I would recognize that all the music comes from right next to my ears, even if someone hit me on the head with a baseball bat and I was drunk. Why doesn't the soundstage effect work for me?Please help.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #13,226 of 29,017
  Hi. Everyone, I've had the HD800 for over a week now. I like how they sound overall, except the treble can be a little harsh on certain tracks. One thing that puzzles me is that everyone keeps talking about how the HD800 sounds more speaker like than other headphones, like how they have a wide soundstage and the music sounds like it's coming from afar.

I HAVE NOT EXPERIENCED THIS AT ALL with the HD800, or any other headphones for that matter. I am powering them with the Mayflower Objective 2 O2 DAC/amp. Is this amp the problem? I don't understand, I have plenty of Flac files of pop, rock, vocal, trance, acoustic, classical music. All of these which sound like they are coming from next to my ears. Sure the music sounds "airy", but I know I would recognize that all the music comes from right next to my ears, even if someone hit me on the head with a baseball bat and I was drunk. Why doesn't the soundstage effect work for me?Please help.

The soundstage you're experiencing is often referred to as "headstage" - headphones have physical limitations and you're simply not going to get the sort of localization that you get with speakers. With the HD800 what you'll get is a greater diffusivity in comparison to other headphones, a sort of greater headstage. Maybe that's what you're referring to when you say that it sounds "airy".

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #13,227 of 29,017

The soundstage you're experiencing is often referred to as "headstage" - headphones have physical limitations and you're simply not going to get the sort of localization that you get with speakers. With the HD800 what you'll get is a greater diffusivity in comparison to other headphones, a sort of greater headstage. Maybe that's what you're referring to when you say that it sounds "airy".

lol. What the hell then, It is nowhere near as impressive as everyone made it out to be. Some even went as far as to say that they can point to where the sounds of specific instruments comes from. What a crock of nonsense. Thx for the reply though.

Aug 18, 2014 at 9:42 PM Post #13,228 of 29,017
  lol. What the hell then, It is nowhere near as impressive as everyone made it out to be. Some even went as far as to say that they can point to where the sounds of specific instruments comes from. What a crock of nonsense. Thx for the reply though.

Yeah, I'd stick with the Beats...they really rock! 
rolleyes.gif

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:16 PM Post #13,229 of 29,017

If you practice critical listening then you can still discern the layering, space between instruments, lateralization and even verticality in recordings. Find a minimally mic'd recording of acoustic music, or any competent binaural recording, close your eyes and listen carefully. It's there if you look for it.

Aug 18, 2014 at 11:26 PM Post #13,230 of 29,017
Do you hav

If you practice critical listening then you can still discern the layering, space between instruments, lateralization and even verticality in recordings. Find a minimally mic'd recording of acoustic music, or any competent binaural recording, close your eyes and listen carefully. It's there if you look for it.

Would you have any tracks to recommend? I pay very close attention when I listen to music, I can discern the separation of different instruments when listening to classical, the space between instruments however.... As for binaural recordings, you can locate sounds with any half competent headphones, so that wouldn't set the HD800 apart. There are certain parts of some tracks that fooled me into thinking the sound is coming from outside of the headphones, however, only certain part of certain tracks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back