The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 16, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #13,156 of 28,989
  So, Sorrodje, Sonett 2?  Like still?

Yes definitely. I think I'm done for a long time for my HD800 Rig . Yesterday , I listened music during 10 hours  from 14:00 pm to 1:00 am . And at 1:00 am I really didn't want to go to bed. I really wanted to listen to more music.  I don't think the Sonett 2 + Octave is the last word or a true end game rig but I definitely enjoy to listen to my music with what I have. It's time for me to continue to play with some other headphones or gear for reviewing purpose on my french web site but for my music enjoyment, I'm done.  The friend who came with its SR009/Electra rig tried seriously my HD800 rig and confirmed that the result is very good.

Aug 16, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #13,158 of 28,989
  Precisely.  That's what really matters, yeah?  Cheers.

Yep. But you know . Two years ago, I was extremely satisfied with My Porta Pro  :wink: . I could be very satisfied and pleased although what I hear was not so good.  That's why I like when some of my trusted friend give a listen to my Rig and express their opinion. Especially when they come with some good reference point as the SR009+Electra combo. 
biggrin.gif

It's easy to be wrong and happy alone on a desert island.

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #13,163 of 28,989
I'm using the AQ Dragonfly as well

Mac>AIFF(usually 24/96)>Amarra 3.02>AQ Dragonfly>ALO Audio MKlllB+>HD800
I haven't tried it with the HD800 yet because mine are on order, but it certainly sounded good with my HE-400's and Paradigm Mini Monitors. How does it sound with the HD800? Is it too bright, and do you feel it images well enough?

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #13,164 of 28,989
I haven't tried it with the HD800 yet because mine are on order, but it certainly sounded good with my HE-400's and Paradigm Mini Monitors. How does it sound with the HD800? Is it too bright, and do you feel it images well enough?

Amarra is a warm music player, but the EQ has settings for LCD2 and LCD3, Grado GS1000, so far I'm finding the Nuforce HP800 and Rock setting are closer to what I'm looking for.  I have an OPPO BDP-105, definitely not portable, but it is better with lossless. 

ToddThe MetalGod you will love the HD800
beerchug.gif

Aug 16, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #13,166 of 28,989
  I struggle to explain why I have trouble listening to them for long periods of time.  They are amazingly accurate but at the end of hour four I feel like they have grabbed my last nerve ending with a pair of vice grips. What set of words describes why this happens? Bright,  too much energy, etc. None of that seems to capture the experience.  More like distracted by detail to the point of losing the whole point of listening.
<snip>
Somehow the 800s were never quite a enjoyable an the LCD3, particularly post Fazor. This is in spite of the fact that the LCD3s weigh a ton.  I am selling my HD800s because I just do not listen to them very much, though I ofter listen to them for a short while.   I will probably buy another pair later as my frustration dims and I miss the insight into what is on the disk that only they can provide.

This ^

Today I've spent 4 hours comparing my HD650 & HD800 against the LCD-3 and in the end I've had to admit that as stunning, revealing, analytical as the HD800 is, it's just too much of a good thing, at least for me. I'm Cypher; happier living inside the LCD-3's Matrix than in the HD800's real world. I've bought the LCD-3 and the two Senns are on sale as of now!

Ian

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #13,167 of 28,989
Everyone acts like enjoying a bit of colour in the sound is some mortal sin
wink.gif

It's just that everyone seems to be jumping on the 'HD800 needs fixing' bandwagon lately,and claiming it needs colored gear. In the meantime they're rocking the latest Audeze.
rolleyes.gif
 I think we all want some coloration somewhere, whether we realize it or not. My ZDSE was somewhat colored-but otoh it's technicalities also wiped the floor with my Dynalo. Win-win!

-Daniel

Aug 16, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #13,168 of 28,989
I'm pretty certain my HDVA600 colors the sound pretty extensively. The BHA-1 might be a better pick for an uncolored, transparent amp IMO.

Aug 17, 2014 at 2:02 AM Post #13,169 of 28,989
I'm pretty certain my HDVA600 colors the sound pretty extensively. The BHA-1 might be a better pick for an uncolored, transparent amp IMO.
your hdva600 will not colour the sound,it's been made 2 drive the hd800s probably . using this amp with the balance cable will give you the best results you're ever gonna get with the hd 800s.So really it's all down 2 the dac your using,the better the dac the better your hd 800s will sound.l use the hdvd800 which is the same amp as you, but with a built in dac, which I don't use.i use the chord hugo as the dac and could listen 2 it all day and all night like this . Just find the right dac for you.the hd800s are one of the best headphones you can get at the moment,they tell it as it is.

Aug 17, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #13,170 of 28,989
@purrin:

I'm beginning to understand your statements on the Vali and the 800. I am running them through the Gungnir and I've clocked in about 8 hours (almost non-stop). The better the source recording, the resultant sound is sheer enjoyment. I was meaning to A/B/C/D the Vali with the Crack, project Ember and the ZDSE but after an hour, I said to heck with it. Its that good, the little amp. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back