The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #12,961 of 28,989
Don't know about the HA-1, but would avoid the WA7 and go with something more beefier or resolving (both amp and dac section).

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:23 PM Post #12,962 of 28,989
Thz Zoom25 but can you please tell me the reason to avoid WA7? I read a lot of good things about it.

Bleak so you suggest M-stage or Vali.  I am leaning towards the Vali because I read somewhere on this forum tube is recommended to go with the HD800.  However,some users were experiencing microphonic noises with them and I'm afraid this can bother me.  So I'm not sure between the two...

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #12,965 of 28,989
  Have you tried the WA7 with the new PSU/tubes?

I've been running my HD800's out of a WA7 with the new PSU, using both a Hugo and an Exasound E28 as DAC.  While the WA7 paired with these DACS sounds resolving and transparent, I still feel that there's a lack of "weight" to the sound.  I know that's not a very technical term, but I can imagine that there are amps out there that will provide the "weight" that I'm missing.  Several amps have been mentioned in the HD800 Amp thread that look interesting - like those from Eddie Current or DNA.  Wish there was an easy way to demo. 

Aug 12, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #12,966 of 28,989
What about the Valhalla 2 / Bifrost combo? You can get them for less than a WA7, and people seem to praise the Valhalla 2 in regards to drive the HD800.

Aug 12, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #12,967 of 28,989
  Thz Zoom25 but can you please tell me the reason to avoid WA7? I read a lot of good things about it.

Bleak so you suggest M-stage or Vali.  I am leaning towards the Vali because I read somewhere on this forum tube is recommended to go with the HD800.  However,some users were experiencing microphonic noises with them and I'm afraid this can bother me.  So I'm not sure between the two...

Vali is great sounding, but it has some ringing when you put in the cable or hit the table with something. It never bothered me, and I had one of the earlier model (first 200 or so) which they said had even more ringing. I still have the amp, and plug it in sometimes for AB-ing something or listening next to the bedside. IMO the greatest price/perfomance-ratio amp for the HD800, with the downside of some ringing. Which again, never bothered me.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #12,971 of 28,989
@purrin : Did you hear some Meier Audio amp ( Jazz or Concerto or Classic ) with the HD800 ?

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #12,972 of 28,989
  Don't know about the HA-1, but would avoid the WA7 and go with something more beefier or resolving (both amp and dac section).

HA-1 is bright / lean amp more suited to PM-1 than HD800.

What about the Valhalla 2 / Bifrost combo? You can get them for less than a WA7, and people seem to praise the Valhalla 2 in regards to drive the HD800.

Val2/Bifrost combo probably going to be more honest sounding. WA7 (without PS) is dullish, slow, and flat. I can see some people preferring the WA7 with HD800 because it takes the edge more. The Val2 just takes enough of the edge off yet at the same time letting the HD800 how resolving it can be.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #12,973 of 28,989
  I thought the noise floor of the vali was slightly distracting on the HD800...

Your tubes are broken. Shouldn't be hearing any noise with HD800. Noise with Grado - possible. Noise with HD800 = broken. Get an RMA.

Anyone tried the HDVD800 with the HD800? I am curious on how these combo sound. I have a trade offer on this combo but not sure if these are the right combo to me. Any impression is appreciated. Thanks

Go back many many posts to see big list. HDVD800 is good with HD800.

@purrin : Did you hear some Meier Audio amp ( Jazz or Concerto or Classic ) with the HD800 ?

Hasn't that amp been around forever? I think I may have heard along time ago in a galaxy far away. I don't remember much.

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #12,974 of 28,989

Hasn't that amp been around forever?

Don't know but that's possible. Jan meier had made amps since the big bang.

You really should give his amps a serious listen . Very good & clean solid state amps. it doesn't take off the HD800 edginess but the result is surprinsingly very good, fast & resolving.  I liked them a lot with my HD800 although I prefer tubes (I had the Corda Jazz and an old MG Head face to face during a few month in order to decide what's my preference between tubes & Solid State) . If Classical was my main genre, i would have definitely purchased his TOTL stack and I didn't give up buiying it someday as an alternate rig dedicated to classical music & orthos.

IMO the Corda Jazz is the best Value (a bit more than 400$ for US)

Aug 12, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #12,975 of 28,989

Don't know but that's possible. Jan meier had made amps since the big bang.

HAHAHA got a good laugh out of that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back