The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #12,676 of 28,989

Great list, Purrin! How I wished I can audition the Luxman P1u, but I am (sort of) content with the HDVA600. It is very smooth and all, but lacks the attack of the BHA-1...

The Luxman is a very interesting listen which might make you smile. But sometimes gear that like can make you tire it of it. When I visit my folks, I do get pretty tired of sitting in my mom's Mercedes after the second day - if you know what I mean.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #12,677 of 28,989

PS : And I am not cancelling my order with Justin
wink.gif

You mean my God powers aren't make you cancel?

Let me repeat: "This amp is not the one you are looking for"

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:15 PM Post #12,678 of 28,989
Wow, I typically read very high praise for the GSX.  Never tried one myself but I've been looking for one:)

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #12,679 of 28,989
I heard Justin's combo at the NYC Spring meet and there were no issues at all.

I am sure that music preference will play a significant role in the judgement of this amp & headphone combination.
If someone who listens to Nirvana doesn't like it, that gives me a good reason not to value that judgement too much.
I just don't listen to that type of music, that's all there is to it.
beerchug.gif

Cheers

PS : And I am not cancelling my order with Justin
wink.gif

So true.  Meet audition is a crapshoot.  It's hard to be a comprehensive assessment of the gear.  

What is it about the GSX are people drawn to?  Is it a warmer SS amp?  Does it tame the treble?  What's so special about it?

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:32 PM Post #12,681 of 28,989

What's that the DAC?  I didn't replace the amp with a DAC if that's what that means.  I also replaced my F1J, does that make it any less good or great? NO..
cool.gif

I guess for the same reason you replaced your stuff with that cheap ass Schiit sh#t.

I think Schiit's greatest feat is being the only amp manufacturer that hasn't become the enemy of Head-Fi or one of it's spinoff forums....or are there more forums i dont know about. And there is still time, Jason..

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Aug 6, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #12,682 of 28,989

I think Schiit's greatest feat is being the only amp manufacturer that hasn't become the enemy of Head-Fi or one of it's spinoff forums....or are there more forums i dont know about. And there is still time, Jason..

People are less passionate about cheaper gear. But once their Ragnarok and Yggdrasil come out, there will be a schiitstorm of deniers and believers, no doubt.

Aug 6, 2014 at 9:55 PM Post #12,683 of 28,989

People are less passionate about cheaper gear. But once their Ragnarok and Yggdrasil come out, there will be a schiitstorm of deniers and believers, no doubt.

It's best to try  the gears yourself.  Reading other's impressions can get you so far IMO.  Everybody's ears are different.  Some like a bit of bass boost, some focus on treble, and etc..  Music preference contribute alot also.  Some like the 800 for it's ability to do classical and jazz.  Some like to find good matches with tubes, SS, and etc..  So much varieties out there.  None is the absoute best for everybody or genres, and the best is up to the individual's preference.  

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #12,684 of 28,989
Great powers come with great responsibilities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sixteen years ago, a wise man told me that I was an dick. I really didn't understand him at the time, because I liked to think of myself as a nice guy and really didn't want to be a dick. But as the years passed, I realized that he meant that even though I didn't want to be an dick, the mere fact that I was a human being meant that I would always be a dick to at at least someone else or some bug or some tree.

Prepo had a good point. I could have handled this with political correctness. So I'm now faced with this decision. Should I become unclear, murky, and mysterious like Six Moons or should I just say it as it is - how a piece of equipment makes me feel - channeling Mike Mercer here because he's right - ultimately it's about how it makes you feel. I probably enjoying Mercer more than I would care to admit. Now consider this. If I don't like something and I wimp out and say nothing, I'm actually being a dick to potential customers who may not know what they are getting into. If I say it is not good, I'm now being a dick to the vendor. If I take the Six Moon route, then I'm a spineless POS or a NATO european "peacekeeper" soldier not worthy of human birth.

The audiophile industry is by far the most opaque of any. If I wanted to buy a computer, it's pretty easy to make an informed decision and get the best pricing. If I wanted the car, it's also fairly easy to make an informed decision and get the best pricing with a little effort. Dealerships let you test drive cars. Sometimes the same car multiple times. And almost always multiple cars to compare to make sure you have the right one for you, especially if you are working with good salesmen. If you are working with a bad salesman or dealership, you can always go somewhere else. If a good salesman puts in a lot of effort to help me make a good decision, I will try very hard to buy from him, even if his price is not the lowest. This is called honor and something rarely seen in the West. Anyways, the audiophile industry is just really slimey. Insiders definitely know about it, but they will never talk to outsiders about it. I don't want to talk about it.

So, I don't think there is any harm if I say something is awesome. That's a win win usually. Unless a person has difference preferences from me and ended up thinking what I recommended as not awesome. This was the case with Tdickweiler when he purchased a Vali. He did not like it. He ended up selling it at a minor loss. So in this instance, I was a dick to him. But then again, I highly suspect that he purposely purchased it to contradict me publicly. So maybe he's the dick to me, but also a dick to himself because the monetary loss affected him more than me.

Now if I say something is suckhy. Maybe the vendor loses, but perhaps many potential customers win because they don't end up wasting their money on a subpar product or a product they would not have liked. Now what if I steered a customer away who would have liked the product in the first place. Then I'm being kind of a dick right? Well perhaps not. Patience is sometimes a virtue, so perhaps if this product had some redeeming qualities, that customer may eventually through further research, purchased that product anyways. In such a case I would not be a dick. In any event, I have observed that people will always do what they want to do, despite valuable advice. This is why I no longer answer questions about how to maintain stable happy relationships from younger folks.

Now at the end of the day, this would only matter if I was somebody important like Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound or Jude Mansilla of Head-Fi. Now those two guys are truly powerful and can make a vendor's product with a video or front page review. Me? I'm just a random focker. I always laugh when people say stuff that I'm a god that will cause five people to cancel their GSX2 orders with a few words. In this case so what? There will be five more in line. A position of power is something I never asked for or wanted to be in.

Decades ago, before I got married, when there were more audiophile brick and mortal stores, I once asked a stereo salesman (no, it wasn't Don Cheadle) why the magazines never said anything negative. He replied "because they could put small outfits out of business." I thought that was a pretty good answer back then. But now almost twenty years later, having spent a considerable number of years working in a small business, I realize what a crock of **** that was. As a senior officer of a company of I worked for, I was always looking at what the competition was doing, soliciting feedback from our customers, improving our product line and internal processes. It was impossible to keep all of our customers happy, but I always wanted to know if we screwed up so we could improve. We had competition, and we knew our customers would talk amongst themselves about us and our competition. There's no free pass in the real world. And there shouldn't be in audio either.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:18 PM Post #12,685 of 28,989
Hey guys, I am late to this one - still catching up on the thread but I can confirm that the hd800 + GS-X is not the "be all end all" some would have you believe.  I love my GSX dearly and also the hd800 but there's better amps for the Senns and better fitting phones for the GSX.  I wrote about this in the GSX thread a few times, most just tell me my ears are broken.  They are just too clinical and flat for me, not fun to listen to and not engaging in the least bit.  I tried many sources, expensive and cheap with the same results.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #12,686 of 28,989

Great powers come with great responsibilities.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sixteen years ago, a wise man told me that I was an dick. I really didn't understand him at the time, because I liked to think of myself as a nice guy and really didn't want to be a dick. But as the years passed, I realized that he meant that even though I didn't want to be an dick, the mere fact that I was a human being meant that I would always be a dick to at at least someone else or some bug or some tree.

Prepo had a good point. I could have handled this with political correctness. So I'm now faced with this decision. Should I become unclear, murky, and mysterious like Six Moons or should I just say it as it is - how a piece of equipment makes me feel - channeling Mike Mercer here because he's right - ultimately it's about how it makes you feel. I probably enjoying Mercer more than I would care to admit. Now consider this. If I don't like something and I wimp out and say nothing, I'm actually being a dick to potential customers who may not know what they are getting into. If I say it is not good, I'm now being a dick to the vendor. If I take the Six Moon route, then I'm a spineless POS or a NATO european "peacekeeper" soldier not worthy of human birth.

The audiophile industry is by far the most opaque of any. If I wanted to buy a computer, it's pretty easy to make an informed decision and get the best pricing. If I wanted the car, it's also fairly easy to make an informed decision and get the best pricing with a little effort. Dealerships let you test drive cars. Sometimes the same car multiple times. And almost always multiple cars to compare to make sure you have the right one for you, especially if you are working with good salesmen. If you are working with a bad salesman or dealership, you can always go somewhere else. If a good salesman puts in a lot of effort to help me make a good decision, I will try very hard to buy from him, even if his price is not the lowest. This is called honor and something rarely seen in the West. Anyways, the audiophile industry is just really slimey. Insiders definitely know about it, but they will never talk to outsiders about it. I don't want to talk about it.

So, I don't think there is any harm if I say something is awesome. That's a win win usually. Unless a person has difference preferences from me and ended up thinking what I recommended as not awesome. This was the case with Tdickweiler when he purchased a Vali. He did not like it. He ended up selling it at a minor loss. So in this instance, I was a dick to him. But then again, I highly suspect that he purposely purchased it to contradict me publicly. So maybe he's the dick to me, but also a dick to himself because the monetary loss affected him more than me.

Now if I say something is suckhy. Maybe the vendor loses, but perhaps many potential customers win because they don't end up wasting their money on a subpar product or a product they would not have liked. Now what if I steered a customer away who would have liked the product in the first place. Then I'm being kind of a dick right? Well perhaps not. Patience is sometimes a virtue, so perhaps if this product had some redeeming qualities, that customer may eventually through further research, purchased that product anyways. In such a case I would not be a dick. In any event, I have observed that people will always do what they want to do, despite valuable advice. This is why I no longer answer questions about how to maintain stable happy relationships from younger folks.

Now at the end of the day, this would only matter if I was somebody important like Robert Harley of The Absolute Sound or Jude Mansilla of Head-Fi. Now those two guys are truly powerful and can make a vendor's product with a video or front page review. Me? I'm just a random focker. I always laugh when people say stuff that I'm a god that will cause five people to cancel their GSX2 orders with a few words. In this case so what? There will be five more in line. A position of power is something I never asked for or wanted to be in.

Decades ago, before I got married, when there were more audiophile brick and mortal stores, I once asked a stereo salesman (no, it wasn't Don Cheadle) why the magazines never said anything negative. He replied "because they could put small outfits out of business." I thought that was a pretty good answer back then. But now almost twenty years later, having spent a considerable number of years working in a small business, I realize what a crock of **** that was. As a senior officer of the company, I was always looking at what the competition was doing, soliciting feedback from our customers, improving our product line and internal processes. It was impossible to keep all of our customers happy, but I always wanted to know if we screwed up so we could improve. We had competition, and we knew our customers would talk amongst themselves about us and our competition. There's no free pass in the real world. And there shouldn't be in audio either.

If I am not a dealer/manufacturer, then my opinion is exactly that, an opinion. (I will assume that a professional should have a broader experience from which to base a "Professional" opinion. Whether or not it is totally biased is another conversation.) However, like you I also respect MM when he tells it like he hears it. Basically that is probably our best answer for how not to be a D*** is to just say how the product/chain made us feel. Did we enjoy the experience? If not, then can we articulate what fell short for us personally vs pontificating on our opinion being a truth. So many of us have great gear in our personal chain. Few have the exact same rig. We have all found our own version of satisfaction. Of course, most of us are not making a living here, just having fun (This is fun still, right? 
biggrin.gif
)

As always, YMMV......

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #12,687 of 28,989
GS-X, Sabre DAC and unmodded HD800s. I'm living Marv's nightmare!

LOL, and exactly. That's the thing. It doesn't need to be taken personally. For those who do not know, I consider Maxvla a friend and someone who has definitely contributed a lot to my knowledge. I know what he likes and I totally understand why too.

People have a tendency of taking this stuff far too seriously. HF, spin-off forums, crew X vs. crew Y, secret cabals, etc. At the end of the day, it's all BS. Where I draw the line is not demonizing the people behind the products. And yes, I do like Justin on a personal level.

Aug 6, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #12,689 of 28,989
What about the Ray Samuels Dark Star? It seems a bit overlooked as Headfonia says "The Dark Star certainly has exceeded any of the amplifiers I've reviewed before it". Has anyone compared it to the GS-X Mk.2 or other 3k+ amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back