The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2014 at 10:19 AM Post #7,831 of 29,010
  Just re-registered my pair bought 11/02/13 via club Orpheus, and now I have a 10 years warranty confirmed via e-mail 
biggrin.gif

e-mail:

Dear N*************

Congratulations on your recent Club Orpheus product purchase!
For over 70 years, Sennheiser has been focused on The Pursuit of Perfect Sound, which we are certain you will enjoy for many years to come from your chosen product.
Please accept this e-mail as confirmation of your extended warranty registration, offered to you as a pledge of our complete confidence in your product.
In the unlikely event that you experience any problems with your product during this time, please contact our service and support team who will be more than happy to help: Premium Product Support
Your extended warranty period:
10 Years

In the unlikely event of an issue with your product, to ensure smooth after care service, please retain your purchase receipt and a copy of this e-mail.
Are you interested in Sports, Music Production, Travel or even Gaming?...As a token of our appreciation, we would like to offer you an exclusive 15% off your next purchase on our Online Shop.
Click here, select your product/s and enter coupon code at the checkout:
Coupon code: ORPHEUS15
Thank you again for your custom and for joining us in The Pursuit of Perfect Sound!
Sennheiser

You're lucky. Here in the US we have to pay $250 for 3 years extended warranty.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #7,832 of 29,010

You're lucky. Here in the US we have to pay $250 for 3 years extended warranty.

I'm sure it's the shop (or some insurance company) and not the manufacturer who is selling that "warranty". Big stores here also like to sell "extended warranties" for appliances etc, which is bonkers, atleast in the EU where we have consumer rights..

I'm sure the replacement drivers or headbands etc will not even be $250, IF something should happen. Then again you can also stomp on your headphones "by accident" and claim it from your home insurance..

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #7,833 of 29,010
  I really liked the sound of the HE-500's. It's fat, meaty and atmospheric.

But I didn't like overall build quality of the HE-500's. They felt like something made in a small shop and like if they would break if I accidentally dropped them.

However - what really killed the HE-500 for me was the weight and comfort, the HD800's disappear on my head where as the HE-500 became painful to wear after an hour or so.

If they could make a HE500 that's as comfortable to wear as the HD800 (or at least the LCD2/3) I might be tempted to try them again.

Perhaps it's an individual thing but I even tried a padded headband and I could never get the HE-500 to be comfortable for me.

I do think that the HD800 is in another league compared to the HE500, but the sound quality of the HE500 is very, very good for it's price range.

Only the sound quality of the HE500 is good for it's price range, but the "sound quality + comfort" is a different story. 

Jan 31, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #7,834 of 29,010
these hd800 are really growing on me I can't see myself buying another headphone right now. I been thinking of liquidating everything and getting the Stax 009 but just the thought of buy a special amp for it and I scratch the idea.  These things are a real joy and really growing on me at this 2nd week mark.  I think its a waste of time listing to the other headphones I have.

also IME they aren't thin sounding at all as some have described, they have very high bass. They aren't ruthlessly unforgiving as some make them out to be I been using with a dragonlfy on my Sony Xperia Z tablet at home more than desktop gear and they still sound pretty damn good.  I think they got these types of reps because they scale so well that people go overboard in describing how they sound with lesser gear.

I only wish they looked different , more sexy like the Audeze's.. but like many other things in life looks arern't everything its all about what they do when the lights go out 
basshead.gif
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 12:08 PM Post #7,835 of 29,010
Dragonfly is a nifty little DAC/amp so it doesn't surprise me that it is good with the HD-800.  I think the HD-800 is more "unforgiving" with poorly recorded music and not necessarily "unforgiving" with affordable pieces of equipment.  Or  the HD-800 may be less pleasing with the wrong amp + DAC combo but that is also true across all headphones.  One might say it is harder to pair the HD-800 with the right amp/DAC, but it is far from impossible to find the right combo especially with all of the advice from fellow head-fiers.  I would also say a high VBR MP3 will sound good as long as the original recording is well produced/mixed.  A bad DAC or amp will be bad across all headphones and not just the HD800.  You just might be able to spot the weak link in your chain more easily with the HD800.  

Quote:
  They aren't ruthlessly unforgiving as some make them out to be I been using with a dragonlfy on my Sony Xperia Z tablet at home more than desktop gear and they still sound pretty damn good.  I think they got these types of reps because they scale so well that people go overboard in describing how they sound with lesser gear.

Jan 31, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #7,837 of 29,010
  Then again you can also stomp on your headphones "by accident" and claim it from your home insurance..

I don't think fraud is the answer... 

Meanwhile... Off to re-register my HD800s!

Jan 31, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #7,838 of 29,010
HD800 s/n 25142 has arrived. Thank you, Jan Meier. And now to business...

Jan 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM Post #7,840 of 29,010
This is a bundle of musical enjoyment for me.  TT just came today.  This is my 3rd round with vinyl!  I've missed it for a while now.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #7,841 of 29,010
  I must be in the minority cuz I don't find the HD800 treble bothersome at all.

Same here. but everybody ears differently 
L3000.gif

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #7,842 of 29,010
Very, very nice!!  I grew up on vinyl and DJ'd in the 80's and 90's until my entire collection was stolen.  Long story. May get into vinyl again.
Really debating a WA22 for my HD800 and possibly future purchases.. HiFiMAN HE560.  I could probably do a WA6 this year but it may be worth the wait for the WA22.

Quote:
  This is a bundle of musical enjoyment for me.  TT just came today.  This is my 3rd round with vinyl!  I've missed it for a while now.

Jan 31, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #7,843 of 29,010
  Very, very nice!!  I grew up on vinyl and DJ'd in the 80's and 90's until my entire collection was stolen.  Long story. May get into vinyl again.
Really debating a WA22 for my HD800 and possibly future purchases.. HiFiMAN HE560.  I could probably do a WA6 this year but it may be worth the wait for the WA22.

Quote:

I just jumped back into vinyl...VPI Scout 1.1 and a Dynavector 10X5....Nice to get back to it.

Jan 31, 2014 at 10:01 PM Post #7,845 of 29,010
  Awesome!

I remember when I bought my Denon turntable with a Dynavector 10X3 high output moving coil cartridge.

I had that combo! What was that around 1983? I had a Dynavector Ruby too....I am waiting on a new stand before unboxing...Probably next weekend to fire it up. I did get to watch it being set up and we played 1 song to test everything before loading it up for the 300 mile drive home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back