The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 27, 2014 at 12:20 AM Post #7,711 of 28,989
A driver doesn't just become faster when it likes the music playing through it.
rolleyes.gif

+1. I like the T1, but I see nothing 'special' about it. It's more like a "don't know what to focus" headphones, good at everything but exceptional at nothing IMO.

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #7,713 of 28,989
I had a chance to listen to the T1 and TH-900 over the past 2 weeks as loaners in my rig.  For my tastes it will be the HD800 that stays in the stable.  The T1 and TH-900 are truly worthy of flagship status but the detail and clarity of the HD800 lets me know I made the right choice.  I found the HD800 speed keeps up with the T1 for jazz, rock, and even electronica.  Keep in mind this was with tube amps.  The T1 may show its speed with a rig based around solid state amps.  For jazz and vocals I lean towards the HD800.  For those times when the HD800 goes a little wide and unruly with the soundstage it would be nice to have a T1 around.  T1 may be preferred at times for reggae and rock because of the body and weight (albeit somewhat bloated).  The TH-900 is a fine headphone as well, just not suited to my tastes which revolve around jazz.  For now my other headphone will be the Alpha Dog.  Whether or not it is complementary I can't say.  When the wife goes to bed I break out the HD-800.  She is complimentary about that
wink.gif
.  Some things I haven't tried and possibly worthy of complimentary status are HE-6 and LCD-3.  

Listening to Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" for the first time and on the HD800.  HD800 handles these jam bands excellently.  Will try a little Widespread Panic tomorrow.  HD800 ain't just for jazz and classical 
wink.gif

Jan 27, 2014 at 2:59 AM Post #7,714 of 28,989
  I had a chance to listen to the T1 and TH-900 over the past 2 weeks as loaners in my rig.  For my tastes it will be the HD800 that stays in the stable.  The T1 and TH-900 are truly worthy of flagship status but the detail and clarity of the HD800 lets me know I made the right choice.  I found the HD800 speed keeps up with the T1 for jazz, rock, and even electronica.  Keep in mind this was with tube amps.  The T1 may show its speed with a rig based around solid state amps.  For jazz and vocals I lean towards the HD800.  For those times when the HD800 goes a little wide and unruly with the soundstage it would be nice to have a T1 around.  T1 may be preferred at times for reggae and rock because of the body and weight (albeit somewhat bloated).  The TH-900 is a fine headphone as well, just not suited to my tastes which revolve around jazz.  For now my other headphone will be the Alpha Dog.  Whether or not it is complementary I can't say.  When the wife goes to bed I break out the HD-800.  She is complimentary about that
wink.gif
.  Some things I haven't tried and possibly worthy of complimentary status are HE-6 and LCD-3.  

Listening to Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" for the first time and on the HD800.  HD800 handles these jam bands excellently.  Will try a little Widespread Panic tomorrow.  HD800 ain't just for jazz and classical 
wink.gif

You're talking about the six flagships. All of them are great. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:35 AM Post #7,715 of 28,989
Of those six, I'd say two are great. You own those two and you know how I feel about the T1.

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:02 AM Post #7,716 of 28,989
Of those six, I'd say two are great. You own those two and you know how I feel about the T1.

May I ask why do LCD-3 not classified as great?

Jan 27, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #7,717 of 28,989
Mostly imaging/soundstage not being up to snuff. The Alpha Dog shares this, but it's also less than 1/3 the price so it's more forgivable. The Alpha is the best isolating closed headphone I've heard yet, but it does have some problems. While technically closed I prefer the prototype TH900 (more neutral than bass happy retail version), but they don't truly isolate. I've heard the Paradox but only briefly. I don't recall anything other than being mildly impressed.

Jan 27, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #7,718 of 28,989
Agreed on the T-1, it just sounds confused and it causes fatigue in minutes for me. I guess my ears don't like treble peaks and ringing. I love the HD800 though but it needs the foam mod otherwise it starts to fatigue after a while. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #7,719 of 28,989
wink.gif

wink.gif

The HD800s and HE-6s are a really good one two punch.  I'm still waiting to hear the LCD-X, that could replace the HE-6 being it's a much easier headphone to drive and you could most likely use the same amp with the HD800s.

Jan 27, 2014 at 7:54 AM Post #7,720 of 28,989
Jan 27, 2014 at 7:55 AM Post #7,721 of 28,989

The HD800s and HE-6s are a really good one two punch.  I'm still waiting to hear the LCD-X, that could replace the HE-6 being it's a much easier headphone to drive and you could most likely use the same amp with the HD800s.

I agree, I miss my HE06 quite often, but I wasn't willing to buy a speaker amp due to limited desk space, that and I heard HD800's at a meet.
biggrin.gif
  In all seriousness though HE-6 do have a smoothness and body which would be a welcome change from the HD800, or so I would imagine based off memory.

Jan 27, 2014 at 9:56 AM Post #7,722 of 28,989
Jan 27, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #7,723 of 28,989
Which amps?  Did I luck out by starting out with a tube amp and the HD800?  I can listen for hours with no fatigue.  Is some of the fatigue due to music selection and SS amps?  I primarily listen to jazz, folk, etc., but none of it is necessarily fast music.  I imagine listening to Metallica for 3 hours would be fatiguing on any headphone 
biggrin.gif
.  And, I like Metallica.  I probably will not need to do the various mods based on my amp and music listening preferences.       

Quote:
  Agreed on the T-1, it just sounds confused and it causes fatigue in minutes for me. I guess my ears don't like treble peaks and ringing. I love the HD800 though but it needs the foam mod otherwise it starts to fatigue after a while. 

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:40 AM Post #7,724 of 28,989
When I first heard the Alpha Dog my background was the HE-500, LCD-2 rev1/rev2, HD600, HD650, TH-600, and some other sub $300 headphones.  Now that I have owned the HD-800 and listened to the T1 and TH-900, I've got a different opinion about the strengths and weaknesses of the Alpha Dog.  Now that I've heard what imaging is when done well I will agree it is a weakness of the Dog.  Other than that I do not mind putting it on listening to a variety of music because it is a smooth, non-fatiguing experience at a price I feel is very fair for this headphone.  The isolation of the Alpha Dog is a major selling point and for my living situation complements the HD-800 really well.  However, when the wife goes to bed I reach for the HD-800.    

HE-6 is probably on my list to try next but I'm also thinking of reading up on the new Hifiman planars.  For now, if I can stay away from those thread I have a chance of resisting the urge to be in on the first batch of them to reach our shores.  

Quote:
Mostly imaging/soundstage not being up to snuff. The Alpha Dog shares this, but it's also less than 1/3 the price so it's more forgivable. The Alpha is the best isolating closed headphone I've heard yet, but it does have some problems. While technically closed I prefer the prototype TH900 (more neutral than bass happy retail version), but they don't truly isolate. I've heard the Paradox but only briefly. I don't recall anything other than being mildly impressed.

Jan 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #7,725 of 28,989
Currently i'm using it on an Audio-gd phoenix and sometimes on a V200 with the dac being a V800. They both have a reputation for being smooth but if the recording is bad you will hear it and i think that is more important then music type. The foam mod if done well really enhances the experience imo, does not change the overall character it just reduces ringing caused by reflective surfaces inside the cup. Like i said i guess my ears are sensitive to that :)

Regarding tube amps, i do have the itch to try one again but the remote on my phoenix is so damn handy. Not that many tubeamps in europe compared to the us but i do have my eye on the Icon audio Hp8. Rather not order overseas due to shipping costs and warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back