The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Jan 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM Post #7,592 of 29,013
I've been reading about the HD800 being extremely detailed and having a very expansive soundstage. How does this headphone compare to reality i.e. if I want a headphone that sounds like real life is this a good option? Or is it better to describe the HD800 experience as hyperreal (i.e. better than or an improvement on actual reality).

That is a tough question. Hd800's have some qualities which make them realistic, such as speed and dynamic range, but compared to live music they have too much treble. If you don't mind eq or gear matching you might be able to fix this. Anax mod also fixes this bit makes them more veiled and maybe a tad less dynamic.

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:39 PM Post #7,594 of 29,013
After having a few months to enjoy my current setup (Bifrost > WA6-SE > HD800/LCD2.2), I'm having an internal struggle deciding if I want to sell the LCDs and reallocate that money towards a superior source and a more synergistic amp choice (WA2 most likely) for the HD800s. They get the majority of time on my head, but sometimes I need the change of pace for certain electronic/hip-hop. Tough to make the distinction as to whether having that change of pace is more valuable than upgrading my DAC. 

Jan 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #7,595 of 29,013
  After having a few months to enjoy my current setup (Bifrost > WA6-SE > HD800/LCD2.2), I'm having an internal struggle deciding if I want to sell the LCDs and reallocate that money towards a superior source and a more synergistic amp choice (WA2 most likely) for the HD800s. They get the majority of time on my head, but sometimes I need the change of pace for certain electronic/hip-hop. Tough to make the distinction as to whether having that change of pace is more valuable than upgrading my DAC. 

what tubes do u use on WA6-SE?

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:01 PM Post #7,596 of 29,013

what tubes do u use on WA6-SE?

With the HD800s -- Sophia 274b Mesh + 6EW7 (though I've found the fat Sylvania 6FD7s to be quite enjoyable using low impedance jack. Too much floor noise when using with high jack).
With LCD2s -- 274b + 6FD7. 

I have been waiting around to pull the trigger on 596s to really mesh with the LCD2s. My initial interest in the WA6-SE was based on the fact that it could drive both of these headphones well -- with the ability to tinker the sound lightly through tube choices. The amp is what is is though: fast, dynamic, and a great middle ground compromise between SS and tube choices. The more I listen to both headphones, the more I come to the conclusion that the HD800 is that ideal approach to what I'm looking for in a headphone. Ultimately my question centers around weighing whether having that second set of headphones for occasional use would be better satisfied by a superior source and amp that lends itself to mitigating the few complaints associated with the HD800s. My lack of experience with another pairing doesn't allow me to have context to make a decision.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #7,597 of 29,013
sounds like you got the right tubes for them. 

if you prefer the HD 800 over the LCD-2, you have to decide, can it also cover everything you use the LCD-2 for? if so, then yes,i  think it would be worth it. 

do you have any complaints about the WA6-SE and hd 800, or what do you it feel lacks or could improve ?

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM Post #7,599 of 29,013
I've come to realize that to get the best bang for your buck, get the best amp you can afford for one headphone than getting one that works with multiple headphones. In other words, jack off all trade amps aren't as good as a specialized amps at the same price. Hence I have different amps for each headphone.

Jan 19, 2014 at 6:35 PM Post #7,600 of 29,013
Hey Dubstep Girl..
Got the WA2 on my radar for the HD800. Got a couple of questions re tubes..
- How's the stock set that Woo offers?
- Any Woo specific upgrades you would recommend?
- Any other choices?

Just being a noob with tubes at this level, I've taken some notes from what I've been reading (might be helpful for some others too) .. any comments on them, favourites, some to knock off the list?

WA2 Tube Notes:
• Rectifier - Turns A/C into D/C *** Amperex Holland EZ80, **RFT EZ80

• Driver [Signal/Input] - Fed by the RCA inputs, sends waveform to the Power tube - JAN Phillips 6922, Sylvania 6DJ8, Reflector 6N23P-EV

• Power [Output] - Amplifies the waveform given by the Driver tube and sends it to the headphones: GEC 6AS7G**,  Tungsol 6080 or 5998, Tungsol 7236**, Sylvania 7236, RCA 6AS7G, Chatham 6AS7G, Amperex 6922

Thanks!!

Jan 19, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #7,601 of 29,013
  Hey Dubstep Girl..
Got the WA2 on my radar for the HD800. Got a couple of questions re tubes..
- How's the stock set that Woo offers?
- Any Woo specific upgrades you would recommend?
- Any other choices?

Just being a noob with tubes at this level, I've taken some notes from what I've been reading (might be helpful for some others too) .. any comments on them, favourites, some to knock off the list?

WA2 Tube Notes:
• Rectifier - Turns A/C into D/C *** Amperex Holland EZ80, **RFT EZ80

• Driver [Signal/Input] - Fed by the RCA inputs, sends waveform to the Power tube - JAN Phillips 6922, Sylvania 6DJ8Reflector 6N23P-EV,  Amperex 6922

• Power [Output] - Amplifies the waveform given by the Driver tube and sends it to the headphones: GEC 6AS7G**,  Tungsol 6080 or 5998, Tungsol 7236**, Sylvania 7236RCA 6AS7G, Chatham 6AS7GAmperex 6922

Thanks!!

the tung sol 7236 jack offers are ok but i prefer the 5998 overall, especially for the price. 

amperex 6922 is a driver tube, and a very good one too. 

i've never tried amperex ez80 but i can only imagine them to be good.

sylvania 7308 are nice, stock philips/sylvania 6dj8 are ok but not i personally don't like them too much.

the reflector 6n23pev is great, great bass too, punchy. one of the better tubes out there especially considering their low price, bassy and fun but not quite as refined as the amperex 6922's.

for 6AS7G's , chatham is good but i haven't tried them. GEC is best, and 5998 is fantastic, i don't think the tung sol 6080 would be as good. its considered entry level like the regular 6080s just slightly better. 
i slightly prefer the sylvania 7236 to the tung sol, most people would disagree, but i find the tung sol 7236 too warm and mushy.

Jan 19, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #7,602 of 29,013
Thanks DSG, you're awesome! I'll update my notes.

Jan 20, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #7,603 of 29,013
I think my decision of upgrading my DAC from Modi to Cambridge DM100 kinda ruined the Synergy of my HD800-WA3 pairing... It gets kinda sibilant now, could be better after burn-in but I'm skeptical about it.

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #7,604 of 29,013
  I think my decision of upgrading my DAC from Modi to Cambridge DM100 kinda ruined the Synergy of my HD800-WA3 pairing... It gets kinda sibilant now, could be better after burn-in but I'm skeptical about it.

I'm not surprised... Cambridge Audio stuff all tends to be a touch on the bright, occasionally sibilant side (at least in my fairly extensive experience with it). It usually improves a little with burn-in, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a DAC...

Jan 20, 2014 at 3:06 AM Post #7,605 of 29,013
Personnaly, I've really enjoyed Dacmagic 1st Gen + Meier Corda Jazz Combo with my HD800 and I didn't notice any excessive sibilance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back