The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Nov 26, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #6,646 of 28,989
Looking forward to how "The Wire" turn out for you brunk.. if it's as good as I've heard, I also look forward to badgering you to build me one.

tongue_smile.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #6,647 of 28,989
  Looking forward to how "The Wire" turn out for you brunk.. if it's as good as I've heard, I also look forward to badgering you to build me one.

tongue_smile.gif

Hehe you bet! 
wink_face.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 6:39 AM Post #6,648 of 28,989
I'm considering purchasing the HD800 to use primarily with my Burson Conductor SL.  I have both dac chips, the warm 1793 and the extremely pure and neutral 9018.  Has anyone any experience with this combo?  If so, I'd like to read your thoughts on the rig.

Nov 26, 2013 at 7:43 PM Post #6,650 of 28,989
  The WA22 is excellent for 2K and the GSX at close to 3K is excellent as well. They are all good and one may prefer one over the other or  visa versa but for 2K the W222 makes them sing with the stock tubes.  I would imagine this could be further tailored with some exotic tubes to step them up even more,

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM Post #6,651 of 28,989
I will finally have my hd800's in a few hours. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:23 PM Post #6,652 of 28,989
    The WA22 is excellent for 2K and the GSX at close to 3K is excellent as well. They are all good and one may prefer one over the other or  visa versa but for 2K the W222 makes them sing with the stock tubes.  I would imagine this could be further tailored with some exotic tubes to step them up even more,

the EML 274B is quite nice on the WA22 with the hd 800.

Nov 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #6,653 of 28,989

I agree with here Peter.  I liked it, but not as much as the GX- X mk2

I had about $1k of tubes on the WA22 and loved the combination...that said, I'd still take the GS-X MK2 as well.

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #6,654 of 28,989

the EML 274B is quite nice on the WA22 with the hd 800.

I  am sure that it can be stepped up for sure with better tubes. I am enjoying it with the hd800 and T1 and also th slow impend acne cans. I am waiting for an lCD2 Jack is sending me for them also. I like what I hear though.  Listening to the T1 on the WA 6SE right now. To morrow I will listen to the WA2

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM Post #6,655 of 28,989
Hi All,

I wrote a post few minutes ago, but something happened (?) and it did not get published. So, I will write it again, and if for any reason, the old want is there, please my excuses.

There are two questions that I want to formulate regarding the setup I am using with the HD800 I just got few hours ago. First, if any of you have listen to the DAC I am using, a Lindemann USB Dac. I bought it today more or less following an impulse without much reflexion. It was an offer, almost half the usual price, and the very few reviews I found on the Internet were all possitive, but in Head-Fi there are any (that I could found).

Second, is about why it is said everywhere that the HD800 is overanalytical, that lacks musicality, that is oversibilant, and lack bass. Well, I have just spend about three hours with them, but using my test songs, with some of Ella Fitzgerald, some pop music in spanish (well recorded pop music: Enrique Bunbury), Angel (Massive Attack), etc.. I did not notice any lack of bass, and the sound was very involvent. The headphones has been already burn in, were in exhibition in the store, so they kept they running more or less constantly (I would say, more than 200 hours at very least). It could be of course that after a few days/weeks my impression will change, that is why I am asking: is it a real fact that the HD800 has all those characteristics (overanalytical, lacks of musicality, over sibilant, lack of bass), or it depends on the setup?

My other components are: very basic Denon CDP > toslink > Lindemann DAC > Lehmann BCL > HD800.

Thanks for your answer,

Daniel

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #6,656 of 28,989
  I  am sure that it can be stepped up for sure with better tubes. I am enjoying it with the hd800 and T1 and also th slow impend acne cans. I am waiting for an lCD2 Jack is sending me for them also. I like what I hear though.  Listening to the T1 on the WA 6SE right now. To morrow I will listen to the WA2

I look forward to your WA2 impressions. 
beerchug.gif
  you have T1 right?

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM Post #6,657 of 28,989
  It could be of course that after a few days/weeks my impression will change, that is why I am asking: is it a real fact that the HD800 has all those characteristics (overanalytical, lacks of musicality, over sibilant, lack of bass), or it depends on the setup?

My other components are: very basic Denon CDP > toslink > Lindemann DAC > Lehmann BCL > HD800.

Thanks for your answer,

Daniel

The answer to your questions is really only something that you can answer. If you don't find any of these faults with your HD800, then your answer is the HD800 is perfect and has none of those faults!  :) Plain and simple, we all hear differently so what sounds like sibilance and a lack of bass to one person might sound dull and too thumpy to another. That said, I think the HD800 are a very natural headphone, revealing what you feed them with. A well recorded source with a decent DAC and  amplifier (and they don't have to cost a fortune) is usually a real treat!

Sit back, listen to your favorite music and don't let your mind worry about whether the HD800s have any of those characteristics. If/when you encounter something you don't like, then start looking for ways to correct it. But most of all, just ENJOY them!

Dale

Nov 26, 2013 at 9:32 PM Post #6,658 of 28,989
Nov 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #6,660 of 28,989
    The WA22 is excellent for 2K and the GSX at close to 3K is excellent as well. They are all good and one may prefer one over the other or  visa versa but for 2K the W222 makes them sing with the stock tubes.  I would imagine this could be further tailored with some exotic tubes to step them up even more

When I had the HD800 for 2 weeks I tried the stock tubes first on the WA22, then the upgraded tubes.  The improvements were audibly obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back