The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 30, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #1,456 of 28,989
And the PS1000 isn't just kind of bad, it's terribad.  Let's just forget Grado still makes headphones, ya?

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:40 AM Post #1,457 of 28,989
Quote:
And the PS1000 isn't just kind of bad, it's terribad.  Let's just forget Grado still makes headphones, ya?

My understanding, is that the people  bored by the hd800 accuracy would love the grados.
I  don't think it's the "audiophile dream" of everyone, of getting the most "accurate" sound.
And I  find funny that people get a "distortion free", or low THD headphone such like the hd800, only to re-introduce back on your chain distortions with your source, using stuff like tubes. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #1,458 of 28,989
Lots of choices for flavour headphones without going completely off your rocker and getting a high priced Grato err Grado.  Beyer 990 or Senn 650 or AT anything are all less expensive, more comfortable and just as flavoured.

Mar 30, 2013 at 7:56 AM Post #1,459 of 28,989
Quote:

I hope you're joking. As long as Grado interests people enough to buy their products, it's great and correct they do make them.

Mar 30, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #1,461 of 28,989
Quote:
Not a joke.  Grado hasn't been competitive since around 2004.

Competitive in terms of what? Remember that this hobby is an extremely subjective business... It's as much subjective as any objectivist here on head-fi is being highly criticised for even trying to be objective. ,-)

So I hope you realise that your view on Grado is nearly 100% subjective and therefore =/= the ultimate truth. My opinion is no less subjective, of course (not a Grado fan).

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:14 AM Post #1,462 of 28,989
My opinion of Grado is objective.  They measure like garbage, they aren't well constructed, they aren't comfortable and they cost a lot more than their competitors.  Subjectively you may like their flawed response, but objectively they're junk.  Their $80 model is ok though.

Mar 30, 2013 at 9:45 AM Post #1,463 of 28,989
Quote:
My opinion of Grado is objective.  They measure like garbage, they aren't well constructed, they aren't comfortable and they cost a lot more than their competitors.  Subjectively you may like their flawed response, but objectively they're junk.  Their $80 model is ok though.

Off course they "measure like garbage" , but I  still imagine people "subjectively" like them.
Anyway the "objective" argument , is only used when you find it's convenient.
Lot of expensive source  (amp/dac) suggested on this thread , and no measurements, in the name of the sacro saint subjectivity.
When it's grados, then the objective argument is getting back.
I'm not sure if you are realizing the "double standard" used here to make any judgment.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:02 AM Post #1,464 of 28,989
Quote:
Off course they "measure like garbage" , but I  still imagine people "subjectively" like them.
Anyway the "objective" argument , is only used when you find it's convenient.
Lot of expensive source  (amp/dac) suggested on this thread , and no measurements, in the name of the sacro saint subjectivity.
When it's grados, then the objective argument is getting back.
I'm not sure if you are realizing the "double standard" used here to make any judgment.

This... Yes, this is head-fi.

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #1,465 of 28,989
All of my opinions are based on objective data and subjective experience.  But yes a lot of people like things that are objectively a poor choice.  For example I went back to the LCD-2 after owning the LCD-3 because subjectively it never sounded quite right and objectively it rings quite a bit.

On the HD800 front though objectively I expected to like them... subjectively I really didn't enjoy it the first two times.  So subjectively I expected to be disappointed again this time out but now with my current gear they're subjectively awesome.

What drives me nuts is pure objectivists or pure subjectivists.  Or worse objectivists who have exceptions making their objectivity more about justifying not spending money more than actual objectivity.  The spending multiples of funds on the transducer instead of the amp or source comes to mind.  Objectively there is no reason to believe transducers aren't bound by their measurements if you believe electronics or cables are.  Just saying :wink:

Mar 30, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #1,466 of 28,989
I'm now a proud owner of the HD800 after jumping from Beyer T1.. Really loving the HD800 now.. i find the treble just slightly exaggerated with some songs, but overall its acceptable, much better than the stock T1 (I have felt dampering mods on them). Overall am happy switching to the HD800.. the little improvements in sound is what got me.

Am currently running it with Audio-GD NFB 3.32 and Meier Concerto. What do you guys think of my rig? i'm loving the sound so far :) 

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #1,467 of 28,989
Quote:
  The spending multiples of funds on the transducer instead of the amp or source comes to mind.

But the headphone is the weakest link in the audio chain, it's the biggest bottleneck,  that's why it still make sense.
Just like the performance of a pc is hampered by the hard drive, and the purchase of an expensive ssd make sense.
The source is not often a bottleneck, and now if you found source that let you better appreciate "subjectively"
your hd800, I'd be curious about the more technical details/measurements of your source.
The irony, is that it might be precisely because your source measure badly, that you'd appreciate better your hd800.

Mar 30, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #1,468 of 28,989
Quote:
But the headphone is the weakest link in the audio chain, it's the biggest bottleneck,  that's why it still make sense.
Just like the performance of a pc is hampered by the hard drive, and the purchase of an expensive ssd make sense.
The source is not often a bottleneck, and now if you found source that let you better appreciate "subjectively"
your hd800, I'd be curious about the more technical details/measurements of your source.
The irony, is that it might be precisely because your source measure badly, that you'd appreciate better your hd800.

I agree, If strictly limited to a certain budget, I'd much rather have an HD800 with say, an O2/ODAC than a K701 with $1000 amp/dac combo.  Obviously there is a lot of potential to be wrung out of the HD800 but with a lesser headphone, you can only max it out so much.  And you can always upgrade your source components down the road.

Mar 30, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #1,469 of 28,989
Performance can be measured objectively, but perception will always be subjective.

On paper my BMW doesn't have as much acceleration, cornering, or braking ability as a Toyota Corrolla, but subjectively it's a lot more fun to drive.

Mar 30, 2013 at 5:19 PM Post #1,470 of 28,989
Quote:
Performance can be measured objectively, but perception will always be subjective.

On paper my BMW doesn't have as much acceleration, cornering, or braking ability as a Toyota Corrolla, but subjectively it's a lot more fun to drive.

Except that the "objectivist" would say that a transparent source would always sound same (provided that  it's able to drive the headphone).  If you notice a difference between two source, that are both able to drive the hd800 (no problem of impedance or whatever) , then you can say at least one of the two is not transparent. So that's where the comparison with cars stop : a transparent source can be defined by a set of specifications,  it's less obvious for a car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back