The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Oct 3, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #14,221 of 29,017
  And digital EQs are basically feedback of some mathemagical sort. Take that for what you will.

Zilch, clearly the only solution is to induce narrow band hearing loss. It'll be cheaper in the long run, and will be applicable to all future purchases!

or seriously, just mod the headphones

LOL    Good one!  

I tried the Anax 2.0 mod, then kept making changes until it evolved into something like the Mike 13.0 mod, which I thought was great when I first tried that iteration - thinking that I had "arrived."

But over the course of about a week, I began to realize that there was an annoying "cupped-hands" sound in the low mids (depending on the track) and that the sound stage was reduced, although I hadn't detected either problem initially. 

I restored the HD800 to its original state and now I'm burned out on the idea of any more experiments in that direction. I had spent the better part of an entire Sunday cutting and fitting mods.  

My advice to anyone who tries a mod would be to not jump to any conclusions.  Do your thing, then give it a good long listen (a couple of days?) before you conclude all is OK. Then try again...

Mike

Oct 3, 2014 at 5:34 PM Post #14,222 of 29,017
  Here you go:

http://www.terrywest.nl/equalizers.html

If it's good enough for mastering then I think it is good enough. I sometimes use his CS12M.

It is also free. Just saying it's that or a few thousand dollars in experiments.

Thanks Chodi,

With your putting it that way, taking the time to test one of his EQs is irresistible.  
biggrin.gif

Which one do you prefer?

Oct 3, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #14,223 of 29,017
EQ ing is very valuable given that the EQ (either software or hardware) is up for it. For example, I've seen how well the new Genelec 8200 series model responds to room calibration. Does wonders for the overall experience.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #14,224 of 29,017
Personally, I've tried to EQ and tried different variations with negative EQ working the best. In the end, I could hear distortion (even with a max of 2-3db EQ) so I gave up on it.  Enjoying the HD800 un-EQ'd but tailored to my taste with tubes (HW EQ?). YMMV.

Oct 3, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #14,225 of 29,017

Thanks Chodi,

With your putting it that way, taking the time to test one of his EQs is irresistible.  
biggrin.gif

Which one do you prefer?

As I mentioned I sometimes use his CS12M VST works with foobar and Jriver. That one is more like a pro mixing console so you can do some interesting things with it or you can leave the extras in there alone and modify the basic frequency levels. Depends on your choice of music. As with any eq a modest change usually produces the best results. I have been around this so long I can tell from the mastering of the recording I happen to choose if it will help dial things in with the particular headphones I'm using at the time. 

Oct 3, 2014 at 9:58 PM Post #14,226 of 29,017
I am still tempted to get the Norne Draug 2 cable though. It's not that expensive compared to other HD800 cables, and I really like the way it looks.

I feel ya. However, I've got my eye on the V2 Black Dragon from Moon audio. It's a nice looking cable in a straight forward sense. :)

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:06 PM Post #14,227 of 29,017
Here you go:

http://www.terrywest.nl/equalizers.html

If it's good enough for mastering then I think it is good enough. I sometimes use his CS12M. It is also free. Just saying it's that or a few thousand dollars in experiments.

Yeah. It's too frustrating. The Sens are too analytical and I can't EQ them for ****. However, with the wonderful amp and DAC I have I do not have too.
I feel and see your point. I fiddled with the mediacollage software for tonal noises and getting around the 10k and lower there was impurities present. Horrible for long term listening. Tried negative EQ ing with it too. Hate it. 2-3 DB I can hear crap.

Oct 3, 2014 at 10:31 PM Post #14,229 of 29,017
The Black Dragon is a bit more expensive and looks... just... like.. a cable ...
Still it is probably more practical and robust than many others (including the Norne Draug 2).
Let us know how it performs!

If I go with this cable I swear it shall be done. Be happy to relay my thoughts and impressions on the v2. :wink:
I tell you one thing that is for sure, I'm not spending $1000 + on an aftermarket cable. No way.

Oct 3, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #14,230 of 29,017
If I go with this cable I swear it shall be done. Be happy to relay my thoughts and impressions on the v2.
wink.gif

I tell you one thing that is for sure, I'm not spending $1000 + on an aftermarket cable. No way.

You may find some information on the cable for the HD800 in a post I wrote in the High-End Forum.  Here is an excerpt::

...CABLES—From the seemingly endless combinations I tried, I found that, just like the case of the PS1000, pure silver and silver-coated copper wires did not work well with the HD800.  They reinforced both the positives and negatives:  the sound became lightning fast, with over-etched details.  The bass, while still deep, was overly taut which robbed a lot of impact from of the sound.  The HD800 voice was further tilted upward with reinforced sibilance and edginess. OCC (Ohno Continuous Casting) copper cables, especially the Copper Venom from Toxic Cables (OCC copper; 22 AWG rectangular wires; cryogenic treatment) with 4-pin XLR were a better match for the HD800.  With the appropriate amp, these cables help reduce the sibilance and stridency, adds a slight warmth to the midrange  while leaving the delicate details and huge soundstage largely unaffected....

I tried the flowing cables  for the HD800 with increasing order of success before I settled on the Copper Venom:

Silver Poison cable and Silver Widow cable (Toxic Cables)
Silver-coated UPC cables
Silver-coated OCC copper cable
Bulk Cardas (UPC) cable
Bulk OCC copper cable
Black Dragon V2 cable 
Copper Venom cables (rectangular OCC copper wires with cryo treatment from Toxic Cables))

If you need a cure for insomnia, I strongly recommend reading my entire post on matching headphones, amps and cables:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729976/matching-headphones-cables-amplifiers-harder-than-it-should-be-very-long-post

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #14,231 of 29,017
You may find some information on the cable for the HD800 in a post I wrote in the High-End Forum.  Here is an excerpt::

[COLOR=006600]...CABLES[/COLOR]—From the seemingly endless combinations I tried, I found that, just like the case of the PS1000, pure silver and silver-coated copper wires did not work well with the HD800.  They reinforced both the positives and negatives:  the sound became lightning fast, with over-etched details.  The bass, while still deep, was overly taut which robbed a lot of impact from of the sound.  The HD800 voice was further tilted upward with reinforced sibilance and edginess. OCC (Ohno Continuous Casting) copper cables, especially the Copper Venom from Toxic Cables (OCC copper; 22 AWG rectangular wires; cryogenic treatment) with 4-pin XLR were a better match for the HD800.  With the appropriate amp, these cables help reduce the sibilance and stridency, adds a slight warmth to the midrange  while leaving the delicate details and huge soundstage largely unaffected....

I tried the flowing cables  for the HD800 with increasing order of success before I settled on the Copper Venom:

Silver Poison cable and Silver Widow cable (Toxic Cables)

Silver-coated UPC cables

Silver-coated OCC copper cable

Bulk Cardas (UPC) cable

Bulk OCC copper cable

Black Dragon V2 cable 

Copper Venom cables (rectangular OCC copper wires with cryo treatment from Toxic Cables))

If you need a cure for insomnia, I strongly recommend reading my entire post on matching headphones, amps and cables:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/729976/matching-headphones-cables-amplifiers-harder-than-it-should-be-very-long-post

I am very grateful for your assistance and impressions. I have done everything I want at this point in my sound chain except replace my 800's stock cable. I am weary, but I will read your post for the help. I also have to face facts that it'll be expensive because I need a 13 to 15 foot cable length. Have my eye on this one from ALO AUDIO. 16 individual stage copper conductor cable. 8 silver and 8 copper with classic copper. Then again I've heard silver be an enemy to the treble and sibilance of the 800's make up.

1262$ cause I need a 15 footer. Lol.
Anyway. Thank you Justin. Tomorrow morning I'm gonna go through your post. :wink:

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:24 AM Post #14,232 of 29,017
I use a solid core silver balanced cable with my HD800s. It works well and doesn't do anything to the treble as you suggest. I also didn't pay $1262 for it, rather less than 1/10th of that price.

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #14,233 of 29,017
Anyone here got any recommendations for a less than $1000 DAC that pairs well with the HD 800?

Using the Schii Vali and Valhalla 2 as the amps.

With all my heart I recommend the ARCAM irDAC. It performs as well as anything in the 660-770$ prince range. Actually I'd say it performs just as well as most 1500$ DACs.
It is a big time winner. Goes great with the 800's indeed!!! :)

Oct 4, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #14,234 of 29,017
I use the ADL iHP-35Hx cable.. silver plated OCC with a lot of other rhodium cryo-treated marketing techno-babble. Just sounds nice with no sibilance and with great bass.
To be honest, I don't hear any change in sound when adding a simple Grado extension. No way I'd pay that kind of money for 13-15 feet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back