The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Sep 18, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #13,907 of 29,013
A good EQ makes fixing frequency response issues so easy, I'm really surprised more people don't use them.

Exactly...  It doesn't even need to be a 'good' eq. Any digital parametric eq will do the job just fine. I use Equalizer APO.

If I could get a standalone version of Brainworx Digital that would be amazing though haha...

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #13,908 of 29,013
  I'm not sure I agree that a colored amp is the best solution, although it may be an inexpensive one. I haven't heard the hdvd800 amp, and potkettleblack doesn't mention what his source was, but the consensus with the HD800 seems to be that it is both very revealing of source and amp. My HD800's are still relatively new to me, but my initial impressions with my old DACMagic was that sometimes I could tame the recording by using my Woo amp, but since switching to the DA8 as a source so far I much prefer sticking with the GS-1, even for recordings that I've always thought of as bright. That tells me that the source was to blame, not the HD800's.

On the other hand, has anyone NOT had the experience of hearing live music that was ear-piercingly bright? Totally dependent on the genre and venue, but I'd say that has been my experience quite regularly so I'm somewhat of the opinion that us trying to 'tame' these recordings is for our own pleasure, not because it is more realistic.

+100

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:40 PM Post #13,910 of 29,013

Headphones are not trying to replicating the sound of a live band though. They are trying to replicate the sound the recording engineer want's you to hear. This is the sound of speakers in a control room which is neither bright nor dull but a balanced sound. 

eek.gif
I'd like to stop here before saying things I don't want to say. 
wink.gif

Sep 18, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #13,911 of 29,013
I would, but I'm terrible at it and am never satisfied with the equalizer I make. For me, it's easier to buy an amp that changes the response and makes the soundstage/imaging more accurate at the same time. Also it reduces distortion, which can be relevant for high frequencies where it is higher.

But if you EQ, you can focus more on an amp that increases soundstage and lowers distortion and less on an amp that fixes whatever frequency response problem you have. EQing prevents you from having to limit your options to specific bright/dark amps (depending on the headphone) and gives you more options. Plus, you can more accurately deal with that 6kHz (or whatever) spike instead of broadly reducing the whole treble range with an amp.

I can understand the plight of never being satisfied which leads to unlimited tweaking, though.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:06 PM Post #13,914 of 29,013
I'm not sure I agree that a colored amp is the best solution, although it may be an inexpensive one. I haven't heard the hdvd800 amp, and potkettleblack doesn't mention what his source was, but the consensus with the HD800 seems to be that it is both very revealing of source and amp. My HD800's are still relatively new to me, but my initial impressions with my old DACMagic was that sometimes I could tame the recording by using my Woo amp, but since switching to the DA8 as a source so far I much prefer sticking with the GS-1, even for recordings that I've always thought of as bright. That tells me that the source was to blame, not the HD800's.

On the other hand, has anyone NOT had the experience of hearing live music that was ear-piercingly bright? Totally dependent on the genre and venue, but I'd say that has been my experience quite regularly so I'm somewhat of the opinion that us trying to 'tame' these recordings is for our own pleasure, not because it is more realistic.
If I could EQ decently I probably would've just gone that route. I was in need of a better amp since I was using an O2 and selected my HA200 based on impressions that it increased body on the HD800 without altering the neutrality too much. While it is a bit forward and a small amount of width was lost, everything else was improved. I'm satisfied with it. Just need a good DAC now.

Sep 18, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #13,915 of 29,013
I would, but I'm terrible at it and am never satisfied with the equalizer I make. For me, it's easier to buy an amp that changes the response and makes the soundstage/imaging more accurate at the same time. Also it reduces distortion, which can be relevant for high frequencies where it is higher.

But if you EQ, you can focus more on an amp that increases soundstage and lowers distortion and less on an amp that fixes whatever frequency response problem you have. EQing prevents you from having to limit your options to specific bright/dark amps (depending on the headphone) and gives you more options. Plus, you can more accurately deal with that 6kHz (or whatever) spike instead of broadly reducing the whole treble range with an amp.

I can understand the plight of never being satisfied which leads to unlimited tweaking, though.
Well I'm just genuinely un-knowledgable and unskilled with equalization. If I could make a smooth, accurate parametric EQ I would. All the equalizers I make just sound like a poorly engineering version of the original product, LOL.

I like the way the HD800 sounds with my coloured amp anyway though. It's not perfect, but I personally think it is far good enough. This is the sort of sound I hoped for from a high-end headphone.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:20 AM Post #13,916 of 29,013
Hi, as a newcomer to the HD800 club, I have started thinking about amps. I currently drive mine through a Chord Hugo. Is there any benefit to adding a separate amp, such as the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, as apparently this is considered a demo amp by Sennheiser?

Or, just stick with the Hugo? It seems to drive them ok, but have never heard the HD800 with anything else.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #13,917 of 29,013
Hi, as a newcomer to the HD800 club, I have started thinking about amps. I currently drive mine through a Chord Hugo. Is there any benefit to adding a separate amp, such as the Lehmann Black Cube Linear, as apparently this is considered a demo amp by Sennheiser?

Or, just stick with the Hugo? It seems to drive them ok, but have never heard the HD800 with anything else.

Although a lot of people seem to love the Hugo, I'm sure you can do a ton better for the price. Why use a portable DAC/amp when you can get much better for $2000? The Lehmann is supposedly quite good, but the M-Stage is essentially a clone at a fraction of the price. I own one and it is indeed great for the price. If you are looking for something higher end, I use the Violectric V200 myself because it has a smoother sig; they pair rather well. For $1K they are not bad at all. And then there is the HDVA600 and Master 9 if you want to go balanced. 

Lots of tube options too, but I'm not familiar with them because I prefer solid state. 

What is your budget? 

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #13,918 of 29,013
Hi, don't really have a fixed budget yet, but if like the amp to be physically compact (ish) as it needs to fit on a desk - hence to the Black Cube idea. The Hugo is good as I use it elsewhere on various systems at the moment. It's a versatile piece of kit.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:30 AM Post #13,919 of 29,013

If it seems OK for You, Stay with the Hugo and just wait to have opportunities to listen to different gear. Then You'll be able to make you own opinion.

Sep 19, 2014 at 6:20 AM Post #13,920 of 29,013
Hi, don't really have a fixed budget yet, but if like the amp to be physically compact (ish) as it needs to fit on a desk - hence to the Black Cube idea. The Hugo is good as I use it elsewhere on various systems at the moment. It's a versatile piece of kit.

I've audition several desktop amp but sticking to Hugo at the moment as I don't see improvements in SQ (IMO).
If I decide to get a desktop amp for my HD800 it will be Aurorasounds Heada. The sound I got from the audition still stuck in my mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back