The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 19, 2013 at 11:00 AM Post #1,066 of 29,017
I dont think they even had them. If your going to make a pretend review at least google the products. Really saying they have active noise cancelling and are both closed back. But my favorite part is when they say the hd700 are bigger than the hd800 yet in the picture they posted the hd800 are clearly larger. I love folding up a pair of hd800 and putting them in a bag to use with my ipod.
That review is wrong in so many ways.

Mar 19, 2013 at 2:52 PM Post #1,069 of 29,017
Btw, in case u all have not noticed, the hd800 actually also has a special microphone that lets u know the sounds in ur environment. It is very special and implemented in a way that totally negates the microphone for the noise canceling circuit. That one takes 4 aaa batteries that last for ever- I am so surprised that Kim did write about that tachnological achievement. Tbh I don't know if the 700 have that function as well- I have not heard these cans - but I think they do as well. ;-p

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,070 of 29,017
I think you'll find you need to snap open the headband longitudinally, and insert watch batteries along the length of it. 

I use my HD800 on construction sites, shooting ranges and rock concerts all the time from my phone and find they block out all outside noise. Beware you may lose awareness of your surroundings! 

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #1,072 of 29,017
I
I think you'll find you need to snap open the headband longitudinally, and insert watch batteries along the length of it. 

I use my HD800 on construction sites, shooting ranges and rock concerts all the time from my phone and find they block out all outside noise. Beware you may lose awareness of your surroundings! 

I know what you mean! It is the headphone of choice for all sledgehammer operators - saw that in " sledgehammer operator weekly".

Ok I am done. People out my office are looking at me like I a crazy person laughing to myself. Thank u for playing. :wink:

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:42 PM Post #1,073 of 29,017
On serious note. I have never heard the 700. I heard it is a mix of 800 And 650 attributes.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #1,074 of 29,017
Quote:
On serious note. I have never heard the 700. I heard it is a mix of 800 And 650 attributes.

No, not exactly.  It's really it's own beast.   I liked them at first, but then I started listening to a lot of brass (mozart horn concertos, jazz - Miles Davis in particular) and the treble peaks were painful to my ears.   The solo Miles takes on "Prayer (Oh Doctor Jesus)" from Porgy & Bess for example was like having a root canal performed on my ears.   I felt like I was going to sustain permanent hearing damage if I kept listening so I skipped to the next track.   The treble on the HD700s can be seriously ugly.   Would not recommend these headphones to anyone now.

Mar 19, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #1,075 of 29,017
No, not exactly.  It's really it's own beast.   I liked them at first, but then I started listening to a lot of brass (mozart horn concertos, jazz - Miles Davis in particular) and the treble peaks were painful to my ears.   The solo Miles takes on "Prayer (Oh Doctor Jesus)" from Porgy & Bess for example was like having a root canal performed on my ears.   I felt like I was going to sustain permanent hearing damage if I kept listening so I skipped to the next track.   The treble on the HD700s can be seriously ugly.   Would not recommend these headphones to anyone now.
Wow! I had a totally dif impression. I would like to hear it actually. Maybe one day.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:03 PM Post #1,076 of 29,017
I have only one concern about the Sennheiser HD800 and  that is paying full retail price for them. These headphones came out in 2009 almost 4 years ago. Should I be paying full price for technology that is 4 years old. When is Sennheiser coming out with the HD900's it could be anytime soon. 

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:20 PM Post #1,077 of 29,017
Quote:

Same here.  I really liked them at first, but as I continued to listen to more albums I was noticing too much sibilance.  They have a nice soundstage, tight bass, and are really comfy though.

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:26 PM Post #1,078 of 29,017
Quote:

Miles trumpet can be a "Beast"    O  did I mention the pair I heard was modded?  
blink.gif

Mar 19, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #1,079 of 29,017
I have only one concern about the Sennheiser HD800 and  that is paying full retail price for them. These headphones came out in 2009 almost 4 years ago. Should I be paying full price for technology that is 4 years old. When is Sennheiser coming out with the HD900's it could be anytime soon. 

When a new iPad is put on sale it stays at the same price (more or less) until the new version is put on sale a year later. This is no different than what you describe. However, with audio, it is more likely that the HD800 would continue to be made, and sell for the same price even after a successor is released because unlike an iPad, which has concrete specs that show objective AND subjective improvement each time, headphones are hard to quantify both objectively and especially subjectively. The chances of someone enjoying a HD800 successor more than the HD800 are 50/50.

Looking at the HD700, which was clearly not meant to be an HD800 successor, but does show where Sennheiser's research took them after they had finished the HD800, doesn't lend any insight that an HD800 successor would actually improve upon the old guard.

Mar 19, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #1,080 of 29,017
If they made another high end headphone it would be the 800 or maybe 1000 and sell for probably like $1799 or $2000, maybe even more, and I sure would not anticipate any drop in the cost of the 800.

If you don't want to pay full price, look for refurb or used.   I paid $1100 for mine, shipped & with 2 year extended warranty coverage from Crutchfield, you just have to watch stocks because they don't always have them in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back