The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2013 at 1:11 PM Post #61 of 28,992
Wasn't talking about him, rather you.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:38 PM Post #63 of 28,992
I don't see how you could be confused. You mentioned DACs that sounded better. I said they should sound better, they are 2-3 times the price. You then say price doesn't matter it's all about the sound, then you ask when did wolfetan ask about price. He didn't.

Feb 12, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #65 of 28,992
Quote:
Been looking at this or LCD-3. Cant figure out which I should save up for! From what I understand, I'd need a darn good tube amp for the HD800 and a darn good SS amp for the LCD-3. Leaning towards the LCD-3 though.. Amping will be cheaper. And I think I might like them better
size]

Where did you get the impression that solid state was more appropriate for LCD3s? Not so as far as I'm concerned. LCD3s thrive with tubes, better than the good solid states I tried. (HE500s can be great with solid state, along with TH900s).

Feb 12, 2013 at 5:26 PM Post #66 of 28,992
I've had the HD800 for about a week and a half now.  I've got relatively modest gear upstream of the HD800: an ODAC & a Lake People G109-S amp.  No fancy cables or mods.. but I'm beyond happy with the sound.  I've heard plenty of top tier gear/rigs before getting this HD800.. and while this rig might not be on the same level as running it through a Zana Deux or ECBA.. it's still incredibly enjoyable.. I love how little real estate it all takes up on my desktop, too.  Considering the price & synergy with the G109 & ODAC, this rig packs some serious value.

I bought the HD800 without ever having heard it.. but having read plenty about it.  Some of the things I was worried about.. particularly the 'harsh, brittle, peaky' treble.. has really been a non-issue/non-existent in my experience so far.  Since i don't have a plethora of amps/dacs at my disposal, I can't definitely say if this is due to the phones or the gear upstream, but i sense it's the latter.  The G109 is very transparent but smooth.

I'm seriously impressed by how versatile the HD800 is.. I listen to a lot of independent/instrumental hip hop w/ intricate production, a lot of jazz, soul/funk, slower electronica, as well as liquid DnB.. and I find the HD800 wholly engaging with it all.  It won't deliver the stomach-churning bass punch some might crave (I don't) with a few of these genres.. but what it does deliver is an exquisitely tight, well textured, fast bass response that sounds utterly effortless.  BournePerfect perfectly characterized how I would describe the HD800 in one word: "silk."  In my rig, I don't find it to utterly mangle poorly recorded material.. I'm yet to experience truly harsh treble from it too (most all my music is streamed via (HQ) MOG, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, etc).  Treble sounds very nicely detailed but not overly prominent to my ears.  To me, it sounds very balanced and, for lack of a better description, simply 'right.'

Can't wait to run the HD800 through the TD-11's tube buffer, too.  I don't anticipate upgrading my upstream gear for the foreseeable future since I'm quite happy with how it all sounds at the moment (plus, I can use the G109-S & TD-11 in conjunction with each other).. the only thing I might consider is going fully balanced with the HD800 some time later this year.  In that case, my sights are (currently) set on the Mjolnir.. any recommendations for a a balanced USB (and S/PDIF, if possible) DAC under $500 that would fit in well with the Mjolnir & HD800?

Feb 12, 2013 at 7:02 PM Post #67 of 28,992
Quote:
Quote:
I'm saying you sound surprised you preferred DACs 2 and 3 times the price of the Gungnir. I would hope they sounded significantly better paying twice as much or more.

Well wolftan44 asked a question.  I gave my suggestions.  I simply said I would use a different DAC.  Because I found the Gungnir to be less attractive as a performer.  You said you would keep the DAC.  But wolftan44 never said anything about price - or did I miss something?

I'd say my budget it around $1500 for the Amp/DAC. The Mojo/Gungir is a little high but thats fine. $1700 is THE very top..

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:00 PM Post #68 of 28,992
Check out the upcoming BMC Pure DAC which is a quality DAC and supposedly quality balanced headamp in the same box for $1600.

The resonessence concero DAC seems to be doing well but I haven't heard it yet. Not sure what to recommend for amp as there aren't any really killer SS amps at that price point. The Little Dot MKVI is a good balanced tube option tailor made for high impedance cans which I ran with the HD600s. It runs about $700 + shipping.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:06 PM Post #69 of 28,992
Quote:
Check out the upcoming BMC Pure DAC which is a quality DAC and supposedly quality balanced headamp in the same box for $1600.

The resonessence concero DAC seems to be doing well but I haven't heard it yet. Not sure what to recommend for amp as there aren't any really killer SS amps at that price point. The Little Dot MKVI is a good balanced tube option tailor made for high impedance cans which I ran with the HD600s. It runs about $700 + shipping.

I like that BMC. Would it be good with the HD800?

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #72 of 28,992
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I'm saying you sound surprised you preferred DACs 2 and 3 times the price of the Gungnir. I would hope they sounded significantly better paying twice as much or more.

Well wolftan44 asked a question.  I gave my suggestions.  I simply said I would use a different DAC.  Because I found the Gungnir to be less attractive as a performer.  You said you would keep the DAC.  But wolftan44 never said anything about price - or did I miss something?

I'd say my budget it around $1500 for the Amp/DAC. The Mojo/Gungir is a little high but thats fine. $1700 is THE very top..

I know there are always differences with peoples DAC preferences. I am very happy with the W4S DAC-2. Right price point too.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #73 of 28,992
Depending on who you are meaning with price point. For Wolf that blows his whole budget without an amp.

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #74 of 28,992
Quote:
Can't wait to run the HD800 through the TD-11's tube buffer, too.  I don't anticipate upgrading my upstream gear for the foreseeable future since I'm quite happy with how it all sounds at the moment (plus, I can use the G109-S & TD-11 in conjunction with each other).. the only thing I might consider is going fully balanced with the HD800 some time later this year.  In that case, my sights are (currently) set on the Mjolnir.. any recommendations for a a balanced USB (and S/PDIF, if possible) DAC under $500 that would fit in well with the Mjolnir & HD800?

There are two balanced dacs that I am aware of under $500 but I certainly am no expert at the price range. They are the Matrix mini-i which I have never heard and the Yulong D100. I believe the latter is just about $500 and it is a very good dac but also has an ok amp. I did not have the HD800 at the same time as the D100 but it was a pretty good dac esp at $500. It won't be perfect but a pretty versatile unit in how you want to use it. I think it might be comparable to my concero but it's been a long time since I owned it. Balanced dacs under $500 are not that plentiful unfortunately. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 8:51 PM Post #75 of 28,992
Quote:
Depending on who you are meaning with price point. For Wolf that blows his whole budget without an amp.

I have an O2
size]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back