The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Mar 3, 2013 at 7:20 PM Post #481 of 29,017
BTG is a good place for it at low cost. You could also go to an electronics repair shop and see if they can do it for you as well except you may have to order the parts.

Mar 3, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #482 of 29,017
 Ugh... just pulled the trigger on a set. I feel dirty. This whole headphone thing may, in fact, be an addiction. Explaining to my fiance how the HD800's are different than my LCD2.2s or Sig Pros has become an exercise in futility. Let's see how they work out!

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #483 of 29,017
Quote:
 Ugh... just pulled the trigger on a set. I feel dirty. This whole headphone thing may, in fact, be an addiction. Explaining to my fiance how the HD800's are different than my LCD2.2s or Sig Pros has become an exercise in futility. Let's see how they work out!

In futility lol. We.l if she gives you too much grief at least its not too late to back out now. The  other half needs to understand and accept our passion
L3000.gif

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:17 PM Post #484 of 29,017
Her engagement ring alone could buy a new car or a down payment on a house. She's cool with my headphone obsession and acts (seemingly) interested. Still is a tough pill to swallow. "Well the LCD's have great bass/mids, but the imaging and soundstage on the HD800's is vastly superior!" Turns into, "You spent over $100 again on headphones? I just don't get it. I love my Apple Earbuds". Then again I don't understand her need for Burberry purses...

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:22 PM Post #485 of 29,017
Quote:
 "You spent over $100 again on headphones? I just don't get it. I love my Apple Earbuds". Then again I don't understand her need for Burberry purses...

biggrin.gif

Oh yeah!

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #486 of 29,017
Originally Posted by TooPoor /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Congrats on the HD800 purchase.  I've had mine for a little over a month & used it daily.. so the 'honeymoon period' has worn off.. and I love them more than ever.

I see you're running the Amperex (US?) "Orange Globe" in the Lyr.. I have that same tube in my TubeDAC-11 and found them to be a terrific match with the HD800.  Fully, punchy bass.. smooth, liquid mids.. and crisp, snappy treble.  The Amperex OG & Voskhod "Rocket" are my two favorite 6922 tubes to use in the TD-11.

Mar 3, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #487 of 29,017
 I did omit an 'e' on Amperex, unintentionally of course... But so far I love the whole 'tube' experience. I have socket savers, multiple tubes (though I prefer the Orange Globes), etc... I just hope that I can roll tubes to find some synergy with the HD800s. Some may argue that it's pointless, but at this point, I can only better my gear. With the exception of my IEMs, all my headphones are in the $1k+ range, and I presently don't desire any other set (maybe HE-6 w/ stereo amp?). This thread is just so humbling with talk of $2k+ amps and even more expensive DACs.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #488 of 29,017
Meh, it's only humbling if you let it be. These $2k amps and DACs aren't always better than the mid-fi stuff.

Mar 3, 2013 at 11:37 PM Post #492 of 29,017
Quote:
So instead of simply disagreeing with other's opinions you rather completely disregard their findings, nice.

I think you completely missed the context which things were said. Purrin never said the Stratus was just a muddy amp,
he was specifying in comparison to another amp.
Anyways, it was his findings and other's opinions and I just felt you were rude.

The only thing you got right was..each individual should hear both and decide for themselves, IMO.

I'm a little confused about having been rude.  It was not my intention to offend.  A link was posted to comments about the Stratus on another site and I merely pointed out that I disagreed and urged the poster asking the question about those findings to consider the opinion of those who actually own the amp being critiqued.  Seems scientific enough to me.  I never meant to disrespect others' findings  - although I must say that I do find the reference to enthusiastic support of the Stratus as the work of *fanboys* to be rude.  So I merely wanted to point out that that criticism could leveled at anyone who expresses enthusiasm for any product, so be careful.  Also, for reference, I have owned or currently own the ZD, the ECSS, and now two iterations of the BA - and I am a big fan of Craig's work - so I am somewhat familiar with the EC sound to which the Stratus was largely being compared.  Never would have occurred to me to call any contributions of EC threads the work of *fanboys* that's all.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #493 of 29,017
Quote:
 I did omit an 'e' on Amperex, unintentionally of course... But so far I love the whole 'tube' experience. I have socket savers, multiple tubes (though I prefer the Orange Globes), etc... I just hope that I can roll tubes to find some synergy with the HD800s. Some may argue that it's pointless, but at this point, I can only better my gear. With the exception of my IEMs, all my headphones are in the $1k+ range, and I presently don't desire any other set (maybe HE-6 w/ stereo amp?). This thread is just so humbling with talk of $2k+ amps and even more expensive DACs.

Get a matched pair of 60's Bugle Boys. I loved the OGs for the HD650 but they're too murky for the HD800. The Bifrost/Lyr should tide you over until you can step up to more adequate components.

Mar 4, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #495 of 29,017
I finally ordered a pair of HD 800's this weekend.

Ive sampled them several times over the past two years and thought they sounded bright and thin. Went to a meet a few weeks ago and listened to them side by side with my D7000's on my system (Squeezbox Touch > Carver Receiver) and absolutely fell in love with them. Compared to my Denons, the HD 800 had better detail and clarity, richer midrange with zero bloat (my pet peave), and held its own in the bass department.

Im really looking forward to spending some time getting to know them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back