The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2013 at 8:55 PM Post #4,546 of 29,010
Quote:
I've never seen so many poor, dead horses in one thread lol.

-Daniel

deadhorse.gif

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:19 PM Post #4,548 of 29,010
He did say what source he used with the GSX. 
I didn't drag my DAC there with me so I plugged my iPhone directly into the amp. 

Ah. Stalker, what MH is getting at here is that you handicapped the GSX with your source and judged it as if it was fair, then opined it on here as a matter of fact. It's clearly an unfair impression which will skew views of the GSX. Your conclusion of the GSX was clearly unacceptable and you demonstrated that by telling us that you used the iPhone as the source directly into the amp. This is undeniable.

However, MH, you're misunderstanding is that Stalker has his sonic preference, which may seem contradictory to owning the HD800, and, yes, it's much different from the norm among HD800 owners. You are not wrong that the Lyr smears up the HD800, but then again, this may be what Stalker prefers. Further, Stalker has presumably not heard the HD800 at even close to its true potential, so it just may be that his ears have not been spoiled yet. 
tongue.gif
 We all need a reference point to form an objective observation.

Quote:
The issue with the GS-X MKII is if you don't like your source, you won't like the amp. That's what you get with a truly transparent amp. BTW, you never did mention what audio store in Portland or the DAC? Still waiting....
size]

With the Lyr, all I hear is a smear across the entire spectrum that it was completely unacceptable. It is like using a screwdriver to hammer in a nail. Wrong tool for the job my friend. It's an ortho amp and really only does good job with headphones like the HE-500s, HE-6s, or LCD-2s. Funny, it was a horrible amp for the LCD-3s...talk about dry and boring.

Again, my impressions are after owning BOTH amps for more than a year with some really good DACs and source material (Cary XCiter DAC and W4S DAC-2).

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:22 PM Post #4,550 of 29,010
Quote:
He did say what source he used with the GSX. 

Ah. Stalker, what MH is getting at here is that you handicapped the GSX with your source and judged it as if it was fair, then opined it on here as a matter of fact. It's clearly an unfair impression which will skew views of the GSX. Your conclusion of the GSX was clearly unacceptable and you demonstrated that by telling us that you used the iPhone as the source directly into the amp. This is undeniable.

However, MH, you're misunderstanding is that Stalker has his sonic preference, which may seem contradictory to owning the HD800, and, yes, it's much different from the norm among HD800 owners. You are not wrong that the Lyr smears up the HD800, but then again, this may be what Stalker prefers. Further, Stalker has presumably not heard the HD800 at even close to its true potential, so it just may be that his ears have not been spoiled yet. 
tongue.gif
 We all need a reference point to form an objective observation.

I can't comprehend owning a Ferrari and driving it with a Chevy engine and saying it's exactly what I was looking for? 
size]

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #4,551 of 29,010
my new HD800 engine......

initial 1st hours impression is....exquisite, imtimate & very extended up top but without being harsh. doesnt slam like the simple EL84 amp but definitely more refined. EL84's kinda like HiFi while 300bs like audiophile Fi. not so good for pop esp badly recorded pop but great for Jazz & vocal based music.

early days yet.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:57 PM Post #4,552 of 29,010
Quote:
This is exactly why I'm so interested in the WA2. Now it's just a matter of saving up the funds. Any recommendations on which, if any, of the tube upgrades on the product page are worth it?

the Tung Sol 7236 are pretty nice if you can't find tung sol 5998, these tubes are kinda hard to find, so this wouldn't be a bad buy. 
the best by far for the HD 800 though are the GEC 6AS7G, most transparent, sweet beautiful tube sound (Even better than 5998 which is already quite impressive), great textured tight bass, and very detailed treble and mids, lots of air. it can be a little bright at first, but after the tubes are fully warmed up, they sound amazing.

the Westinghouse 6V4 option jack sells is a total ripoff. look for a mullard ez80 or RFT EZ80 (these are easily found for $25 a pair NOS). 

i wouldn't pay 290$ for amperex 7308 either, though i'm sure they're decent tubes.
amprex 6dj8 bugle boys or some of the nicer amperex tubes are good for HD 800. im sure the siemens tubes are pretty good too. and my old favorite the jan sylvania 7308 is pretty good too, a little darker, but nice. 

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:42 AM Post #4,553 of 29,010
didnt wanna go off topic here as this is a HD800 thread, but i felt i had to say this. i decided to try out the black dragon recabled T1 just for hell of it on the Audio Space 300b & HOLY HOT GLOWING BOTTLES Batman....the T1s sounds fantastic bordering on awesome! 

to my ears, the T1 shares alot of the good "stuff" with the HD800 but loses out (slightly) in soundstage & perhaps detail delineation & i always felt the T1s had a penchant for sibilance even with the SE EL84 amp so much so i enjoyed the senns more. now driven by the Audio Space 300, me thinks the T1 has equaled if not perhaps even supercedes the senns esp with pop, r&b & rock while equaling the senns on jazz and vocals. the T1 slams hard, has great mids, super detailed, wide wide soundstage (perhaps loses out to the senn in depth but i cant be sure) & has crazy extended sparkly airy highs without any sibilance nor harshness. simple amazing & to think i was going to sell the T1.....but instead, i find myself in quite a pickle of having to choose now. T1 owners owe it to themselves to finds a synergistic amp for a shocking experience. imho this 300b amp def suits the T1!

s'cuse the rambling. now back to regularly scheduled programming of Senn-fi....

Aug 7, 2013 at 12:47 AM Post #4,554 of 29,010
Quote:
didnt wanna go off topic here as this is a HD800 thread, but i felt i had to say this. i decided to try out the black dragon recabled T1 just for hell of it on the Audio Space 300b & HOLY HOT GLOWING BOTTLES Batman....the T1s sounds fantastic bordering on awesome! 

to my ears, the T1 shares alot of the good "stuff" with the HD800 but loses out (slightly) in soundstage & perhaps detail delineation & i always felt the T1s had a penchant for sibilance even with the SE EL84 amp so much so i enjoyed the senns more. now driven by the Audio Space 300, me thinks the T1 has equaled if not perhaps even supercedes the senns esp with pop, r&b & rock while equaling the senns on jazz and vocals. the T1 slams hard, has great mids, super detailed, wide wide soundstage (perhaps loses out to the senn in depth but i cant be sure) & has crazy extended sparkly airy highs without any sibilance nor harshness. simple amazing & to think i was going to sell the T1.....but instead, i find myself in quite a pickle of having to choose now. T1 owners owe it to themselves to finds a synergistic amp for a shocking experience. imho this 300b amp def suits the T1!

s'cuse the rambling. now back to regularly scheduled programming of Senn-fi....

yes!!!

beerchug.gif

the T1 is very good if you find the amp for it. but yeah back to the HD 800....

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:00 AM Post #4,555 of 29,010
hahaha yes....the T1s are almost electrostatic like. the highs are incredible - so extended it seems to go on forever, so detailed my mind cant process all the info! its electric like quick as well! i think i mite have a stax killer combo as the highs most reminds me of my Quad ESL experience long ago. crazy how an amp can change something good into something great!

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #4,556 of 29,010
What would you guys say is the best amp in the $1-1.6k range for the HD800? I prefer a warmer sound, and am willing to sacrifice a bit of detail to get more body and thickness to the mids and bass, but soundstage must be remain good. Currently I'm looking at the WA2, WA6SE, CSP2+, Taboo MK III. Source is a Bifrost w/ Uber (single ended). Thanks guys!

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:22 AM Post #4,557 of 29,010
WA2 with the GEC tubes.

no WA6-SE, not as good as WA2. im sure the decware amps are great as well!

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:29 AM Post #4,559 of 29,010
Quote:
What kind of tubes are those, power/rectifier/driver and how much would the tubes run me extra? also how is the wa2 with stock tubes for the hd800? thanks for the reply!

power tubes, like maybe $400 a pair. but i think its worth it, they really take the HD 800 to the next level. 

the stock tubes aren't very good. it'll be warm and pretty good but grainy and with some lack of transparency. under $100 in tube upgrades would be a noticeable improvement, but if you can get the GEC tubes or even $200 a pair Tung Sol 5998 would be great. 

im sure the decware amps would be decent as well.

Aug 7, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #4,560 of 29,010
IMHO opinion, EL84 6bq5 output tubes seems to do great bass with the HD800. my simple SE EL84 amp slams harder than the 300b i just got. another headfi whom i know has tried a whole buncha amps (including Decware CSP2+ & Taboo combo) is ending his search (for now i guess) with the discovery of the Luxman SQ-N10. and yes, the Luxman is also uses EL84 as output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back