The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2019 at 2:43 AM Post #27,347 of 28,989
I respectfully disagree. My HD800 sounds smooth as silk out of a solid state/R2R dac combo. It’s all about synergy. Some tubes will be brighter than SS, and the other way round. The HD800 is very amp picky, but depending on how you like your sound there’s always an amp out there that’ll get them to sound just the way you like them - and for sure you don’t need tubes to make that happen. I’m very treble sensitive and the HD800 has the best treble response I’ve heard to date.

....thats because yours is modded...buying an $800-$900 headphone and then taking it apart to just to copy the HD800S seems like a dumb idea, considering the fact that 1. you could royally mess something up, 2. when you can find an HD800s for around the same price.

I listened to the HD800s on 3-4 amp/dac combo and only one sounded good. You are not treble sensitive if you think the HD800 is good, but hey, your ears. I'm not treble sensitive and I think the HD800 treble is bad.

May 3, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #27,348 of 28,989
I have a SDR modded HD800 and the Audio-GD R2R11 and I am gob smacked every time I listened, smooth yet dynamic, perfect bass and treble, mid range / vocals are perfect.

I used to use the coax out at first and the the S's in vocals could now and again tizz sssss on hot recordings.
I switched to USB using the JRivers 64bit volume setting so I can control the volume from my PC and it has gone.

May 3, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #27,349 of 28,989
You are not treble sensitive if you think the HD800 is good, but hey, your ears. I'm not treble sensitive and I think the HD800 treble is bad.
You’re right, I’m sensitive to BAD treble. The HD800 treble on my system is superb (and was before the SDR mod as well). I put off buying one for years because of generalisations like yours. Glad I finally took the plunge and heard it for myself.

May 3, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #27,350 of 28,989
You’re right, I’m sensitive to BAD treble. The HD800 treble on my system is superb (and was before the SDR mod as well). I put off buying one for years because of generalisations like yours. Glad I finally took the plunge and heard it for myself.

If it sound so good then why mod it? must have not been that good huh?

I didnt generalize anything, I stated what I hear, and what my friend hear and mutually agreed on. surprisingly thats one of the few things we agreed on out of the 20-30s pair of headphone and the 3-4 high quality AMP/DACs that he had. Its not even just us, it s the majority of the community. Those that really likes it are the one that really love Sennheiser, as do I, but keep telling a company you love to do something that is inherently wrong is not the way to improve things. The proof is when Sennheiser fixed the HD800 with the HD800s.

May 3, 2019 at 3:14 AM Post #27,351 of 28,989
I have a SDR modded HD800 and the Audio-GD R2R11 and I am gob smacked every time I listened, smooth yet dynamic, perfect bass and treble, mid range / vocals are perfect.

I used to use the coax out at first and the the S's in vocals could now and again tizz sssss on hot recordings.
I switched to USB using the JRivers 64bit volume setting so I can control the volume from my PC and it has gone.

thats call sibilant and its one of the fault of the HD800. Again its not perfect if you are listing faults right after it, just because you cant hear in an instance doesnt mean the problem is fixed, it just your head tune to it and ignore it because you gotten used to it.

May 3, 2019 at 3:16 AM Post #27,352 of 28,989
If it sound so good then why mod it? must have not been that good huh?

I didnt generalize anything, I stated what I hear, and what my friend hear and mutually agreed on. surprisingly thats one of the few things we agreed on out of the 20-30s pair of headphone and the 3-4 high quality AMP/DACs that he had. Its not even just us, it s the majority of the community. Those that really likes it are the one that really love Sennheiser, as do I, but keep telling a company you love to do something that is inherently wrong is not the way to improve things. The proof is when Sennheiser fixed the HD800 with the HD800s.
I modded it because of all the positive feedback I had from people I trust that did the mod. For me it smoothed out the sound ever so slightly, and I liked the change, not that I didn’t like the sound before. It’s a very subtle change, unlike the HD800s which I heard on my system and didn’t like. Unlike the SDR mod, the 800S messes with the bass in a way I didn’t like. So as far as I’m concerned Sennheiser fixed nothing. For what it’s worth I’m not a Senn fanboy, the 800 is the only one of their headphones I really enjoy. In fact for what you can buy it used for today, it’s probably the biggest bargain in head-fi right now. If it needs to be said this is my personal opinion, and just happens to be shared by many enthusiasts far more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

May 3, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #27,353 of 28,989
thats call sibilant and its one of the fault of the HD800. Again its not perfect if you are listing faults right after it, just because you cant hear in an instance doesnt mean the problem is fixed, it just your head tune to it and ignore it because you gotten used to it.
This guy is right, I now hate mine and you all should too.

May 3, 2019 at 3:18 AM Post #27,354 of 28,989
The 800S was more sibilant on my system than the 800. I bought the 800 because it sounds better to me, not because I can’t afford an 800S.

May 3, 2019 at 3:22 AM Post #27,355 of 28,989
Was not a fault of the HD800 it was a fault of the coax out on my Asus Xonar but he knows best.

May 3, 2019 at 3:27 AM Post #27,356 of 28,989
I modded it because of all the positive feedback I had from people I trust that did the mod. For me it smoothed out the sound ever so slightly, and I liked the change, not that I didn’t like the sound before. It’s a very subtle change, unlike the HD800s which I heard on my system and didn’t like. Unlike the SDR mod, the 800S messes with the bass in a way I didn’t like. So as far as I’m concerned Sennheiser fixed nothing. For what it’s worth I’m not a Senn fanboy, the 800 is the only one of their headphones I really enjoy. In fact for what you can buy it used for today, it’s probably the biggest bargain in head-fi right now. If it needs to be said this is my personal opinion, and just happens to be shared by many enthusiasts far more knowledgeable and experienced than me.

You are contradicting yourself left and right...who in their right mind go fixes something that isnt broken? you claim the treble was perfect, yet you went out of your way to mod your HD800 to tame the treble. The bass was raised by probably 1db compares to stock, whatever your mod did, probably mess with the bass.

May 3, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #27,357 of 28,989
You are contradicting yourself left and right...who in their right mind go fixes something that isnt broken? you claim the treble was perfect, yet you went out of your way to mod your HD800 to tame the treble. The bass was raised by probably 1db compares to stock, whatever your mod did, probably mess with the bass.
Yeah you’re right. I don’t know what I was thinking. I’ll remove the mod immediately and sell the HD800. What a waste of money. Please go troll somewhere else if you have nothing of value to add to this thread.

May 3, 2019 at 3:40 AM Post #27,358 of 28,989
08221CE5-A6A8-4105-A7C1-54D55C1A73E2.gif

May 3, 2019 at 3:42 AM Post #27,359 of 28,989
Playstation v Xbox, Man united V Liverpool, Betamax v Vhs, bloody humans huh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back