The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
May 28, 2017 at 6:02 PM Post #25,936 of 28,989
GreenVsRed.jpg

I think I managed to cure dreaded paint chip issue permanently on HD800
driver housing ring (parts on middle) isn't covered with leather so they're still vulnerable to chips but you can put the headphones sideways, like in picture
you can bring your hd800 parts to someone who is professional in leathercrafting; I paid around$37 (40,000₩ in Korean).

Here is my paint job. This is a really bad picture of them. I get some sexy shots later.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #25,938 of 28,989
ReddieVsGeenie.jpg

So i did the paint. Myself

process were

Wash, sand, wash, sand wash, dry, and wash, primer, and sand, and primer, and dry, and than paint, Matt black and green and red, sand, dry, wash, repaint and dry. and wash .

LOL its a process. But look at the finish product thou :)

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #25,939 of 28,989
May 28, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #25,940 of 28,989
Though there are moments when I wonder how I could improve my main headphone rig, which is currently HD800/HDVD800, and when I let go of analysis about that and just listen with what I have, I'm super happy with it. The above rig reveals all of the details I could want to hear and presents every recording with great transparency. I'm curious about an alternative DAC/Amp, as though to me the HDVD800 works a treat and I haven't heard other DAC/Amps with the HD800, I have heard that there are better options. Any obvious alternatives you recommend me checking out?

Also, currently my Anaxilus mod is still installed in my HD 800 though I may try the Super Dupont mod soon.

Much love, fellow HD 800'ers!

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #25,941 of 28,989
somewhat soft; I'd consider it hard though.
so far I've tested the parts durability with some drops (while not on headphome) and it holds up pretty well.
leather seems to have been glued onto the frame itself.
WOW..... aaaaa sooo. Sorry to ask but what is that? Paint or ducktape strips? leathercrafting? leather strips? glue on leather on the plastic? is it soft to the touch? moist ?

So i did the paint. Myself

process were

Wash, sand, wash, sand wash, dry, and wash, primer, and sand, and primer, and dry, and than paint, Matt black and green and red, sand, dry, wash, repaint and dry. and wash .

LOL its a process. But look at the finish product thou :)

May 28, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #25,942 of 28,989

I think I managed to cure dreaded paint chip issue permanently on HD800
driver housing ring (parts on middle) isn't covered with leather so they're still vulnerable to chips but you can put the headphones sideways, like in picture
you can bring your hd800 parts to someone who is professional in leathercrafting; I paid around$37 (40,000₩ in Korean).

Wow, at first I though that was a paint, but that's actual all leather covering the HD800! How much did it cost to do that?

May 29, 2017 at 4:31 AM Post #25,943 of 28,989
I'm curious about an alternative DAC/Amp, as though to me the HDVD800 works a treat and I haven't heard other DAC/Amps with the HD800, I have heard that there are better options. Any obvious alternatives you recommend me checking out?

Lots of room to improve!

Schiit Vali 2 / Valhalla 2 / Mjolnir 2
Feliks Elise
Eddie Current Black Widow (hard, but possible to get new still)
ECP Torpedo III
Eddie Current Zana Deux Super
Donald North Audio Stratus/Stellaris

Pick up a Modi MB until you're ready to jump to Gumby/Yggy.

May 29, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #25,944 of 28,989
So my multi year search for an upgrade to the sennheiser HD650 has lead me here. I was wondering specifically if these headphones would be good for metal music. I have very different taste in metal music than a lot of people, I usually don't like metal which is very highly produced. I like old school death metal, thrash metal, doom metal, sludge metal, grindcore, black metal. That is just part of the type of genres of music I like, that is in no way all that I listen to. I am just concerned, because on the ultimate solution for metal chart on head fi, which I think was made back in 2012, it slates the HD800 as being pretty average headphones for listening to metal music.

Here is what I wrote in the other thread about the sort of headphones that I'm looking for.

I am looking for full size, open back headphones, in the 1000 dollar range. Comfort is of the utmost importance. My headphones I currently use are the Sennheiser HD650. I tried the Audeze LCD-2 once, but one of the drivers died in them so I returned them, they also hurt after prolonged periods of time.

I think the Audeze LCD-2 sounded better, in spite of it's deal breaking caveats. One of the things I liked about these headphones, is they give you the feeling of the sounds being right in the room with you more often than the sennheiser HD650, which only gives that feeling every now and then. The only pair of headphones which seem to be similar (based on the ultimate guide to metal headphones chart on head fi) are the kennerton odin, which are twice my budget.

I will be plugging these into the Magni 2 and Modi, but I would upgrade. Amplifiers are too confusing for me to even try to get into.

I live in the united states.

I don't get how people have a preference over one sound signature, like bass, treble, or midsection. I think they're all important, but I never cared much about having a ton of bass. I like the bass in my headphones to be tight and controlled, and punchy. I have a preference realism in the instruments, I like the feeling of lifelike imaging. I also like a wide sound stage, that's one of my favorite things about the HD650 is their wide open feeling.

I like a lot of different genres of music though, my favorite right now is classical. My preferences tend to be harsh and abrasive (I have found that the headphones people normally associate with "rock music" do not fit the harsh abrasive stuff I like). I also like folksy music. I like calm, spacy music like ambient or drone or drone folk. I like interesting ambient or microtonal music with a lot of stereo effects. My taste is all over the map, so a good "all rounder" would do. I don't care about pop music or dancy music, I will say that.

May 29, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #25,945 of 28,989
I will be plugging these into the Magni 2 and Modi, but I would upgrade. Amplifiers are too confusing for me to even try to get into.

I don't get how people have a preference over one sound signature, like bass, treble, or midsection. I think they're all important, but I never cared much about having a ton of bass. I like the bass in my headphones to be tight and controlled, and punchy. I have a preference realism in the instruments, I like the feeling of lifelike imaging. I also like a wide sound stage, that's one of my favorite things about the HD650 is their wide open feeling.

I like a lot of different genres of music though, my favorite right now is classical. My preferences tend to be harsh and abrasive

The Magni & Modi won't drive the HD800 to its full potential. You'll need to spend another grand for just a (preferably tube) amplifier for that. With the Magni/Modi combo, it will sound good, but you won't get the soundstage, imaging & bass thump the HD800 are capable. I feel music that is harsh & abrasive absolutely needs a tube amps paired with the HD800 otherwise the HD800 will just amplify that harsh sound. Though for spacy music/ambient they would be perfect.

The HD650 has a closed in soundstage, if you think that is good, the HD800 will blow it away.

May 29, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #25,946 of 28,989
Lots of room to improve!

Feliks Elise
ECP Torpedo III

+ 1
The Elise+HD800 - combination is a match made in heaven. It definitely should be as widely known and appreciated as the Crack-HD650-combo... In general this fusion is simply the best way to listen to Jazz and/or classical music there is IMHO.
And a nice Multibit-DAC like Bimby, Gumby or Yggy just ennobles it even further...

May 29, 2017 at 6:52 PM Post #25,947 of 28,989
Lots of room to improve!

Feliks Elise
ECP Torpedo III

Thanks for the reply. I'll check these out.

Wow, so you recommend the budget-priced Modi over the HDVD 800's inbuilt DAC?

May 29, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #25,948 of 28,989

Theres over 25 Amps/Dacs you can use with the HD800. Pretty much anything once you go over $1000.00. The pickiness and real life problems with the HD800 happens at the lower price range i notice. Keeping it real here. Also with Dacs around $250.00 dac ranges is pretty much all you need.

So basically a $250.00 dac and with a over $1000.00 amp and you good to go. That HDVD800 dac is pretty much a $200.00 dac performance level with a decent amplifier.

This is what i wish people actually try to explain to me in the beginning of the Amp/Dac nonsense upgrading stuff. Owell.

P.S . there are $1000.00 dacs that beats a modi of course right but the performance is almost laughable thou.

Cheers

May 30, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #25,949 of 28,989

If any interest you, I'll do my best to give you some insight to the ones I've heard

I've auditioned the HDVD800 and it doesn't do anything special for the HD800. The DAC section in particular is not impressive, and the amp section doesn't scale with a better source. You can do better for the price.

Pretty much anything once you go over $1000.00. The pickiness and real life problems with the HD800 happens at the lower price range i notice.

I disagree. The GS-X mk2 is an awful match for the HD800. EC Studio with its uber neutral signature also not great, synergizes better with the HD6X0. I wouldn't look at this from a price perspective. Amp+Headphone synergy is much more important. I'll take Vali 2 before a GSX

Last edited:
May 30, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #25,950 of 28,989
Wow, at first I though that was a paint, but that's actual all leather covering the HD800! How much did it cost to do that?
$37 for my case (40,000 Korean Won) but it will vary depending who does it for you.
when I spent $40 to my local shoe repair to do the same job it came out ugly.
ultimately I'll be trying to make 3D model of the parts and try to find someone who can put leather over the printed parts and sell it to hd800 owners.

im guessing the final price will be$100-150, last time i talked to sennheiser via email they asked around $90 per each side of parts ($180 total) so it will cost a less AND have more durable parts compared to stock parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back