The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Dec 17, 2016 at 6:26 AM Post #24,481 of 29,017
I'm keeping them just want to try something new

No competition, HD800 are much, much better. Don't get the S model, get the HD 800 then install Sonarworks Reference 3. Tamed treble and better (tighter) bass than the HD800S.

SWR3 is god damned amazing.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #24,482 of 29,017

The Abyss are a different beast, it's hard to explain. You're in the sound rather than it being pushed into both L/R ears. You sit with the performers, rather than in front of them.

They have an inky black background and massive dynamic power, so the sounds pop out at you. Immersive.

Try and get a loan/demo of the Phonitor 2, X or E. Their Matrix system is game changer for me, it brings a bit of the Abyss to any headphone. When enabled it really does add space to the sound. 

Have a look:

https://spl.info/en/products/professional-fidelity-pro-fi/phonitor-x/overview.html

Grab the manual (right hand side) and have a read about their Matrix tech. I was expecting it to be a gimmick (I was more interested in the power; 120v rails), but it blew me away! Subtle but significant. 

I like spl and think that they make a quality product that is more preferable than most of the commercial products out there. That being said I think their almost all music was designed for speakers is only a half truth. Just because the music itself was designed to be listened on speakers does not 100% mean all formats are synergetic with speakers. MP3's 100% are not synergetic with speakers and I think headphones are absolutely just as good if not better choice when it comes to mp3's. Maybe if spl made a record player or cd player they could talk smack, but they do not.

Dec 17, 2016 at 8:54 AM Post #24,483 of 29,017

I like spl and think that they make a quality product that is more preferable than most of the commercial products out there. That being said I think their almost all music was designed for speakers is only a half truth. Just because the music itself was designed to be listened on speakers does not 100% mean all formats are synergetic with speakers. MP3's 100% are not synergetic with speakers and I think headphones are absolutely just as good if not better choice when it comes to mp3's. Maybe if spl made a record player or cd player they could talk smack, but they do not.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here buddy :¬) SPL are only offering a means to emulate, which is entirely subjective to the listener and their needs. Obviously it's not something you find valuable. For mixing/mastering, it's very useful.

Having said that, I'm going to be sending the Phonitor X back. I don't want to, but it's causing a ground loop in my chain which is not acceptable as will cost more to fix via top quality conditioners and/or transformers.

I'll be trying the Violectric V281 next. Perhaps the Pro iCan also.

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #24,484 of 29,017
I'm keeping them just want to try something new

HD800 is a must buy if you're into the Sennheiser house sound.  It's not even worth debating.  They will scale with future upgrades unlike the HD600, which are great headphones, but have limits.  If you're curious, just buy a used 800, and if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it for the same price very quickly.  

Dec 17, 2016 at 2:10 PM Post #24,485 of 29,017

I'm not sure what you're getting at here buddy :¬) SPL are only offering a means to emulate, which is entirely subjective to the listener and their needs. Obviously it's not something you find valuable. For mixing/mastering, it's very useful.

Having said that, I'm going to be sending the Phonitor X back. I don't want to, but it's causing a ground loop in my chain which is not acceptable as will cost more to fix via top quality conditioners and/or transformers.

I'll be trying the Violectric V281 next. Perhaps the Pro iCan also.

What I'm getting at is very simple. SPL is more than welcome to offer a means to emulate speakers and also more than welcome to tell people almost all music was intended to be listened to on speakers. I just think if they do that they ought to also let people know mp3's do not work all that well with speakers. Either that or build a record or cd player. They do make a phono pre that I'm interested in but I would rather see an actual player

To me mp3's and speakers are like reel to reel with headphones. There just is not allot of soundstage in mp3's, at least not compared to direct to disc records and audiophile cd's, so why spend allot of money to miss out on the main feature. Reel to reel is cool but comes with a hiss that is quite annoying with headphones superior detail. With a detailed ultra revealing like the hd800 I'm positive you will get a hiss that will be quite bothersome.

Dec 17, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #24,486 of 29,017

??? The hd800 has a very open sound to it but the most distance I have ever heard an instruments/vocals outside the headphone itself is like 5 inches. My adam's can throw instruments/vocals 5 ft. There is no comparing here. Either you listened to a piss poor pair of speakers or the hd800 do some sort of magic trick with your particular ears.

Oh thank god, I'm not the only one!

During my time at head-fi, I've shared impressions of several gear and have for the most part gotten feedback that my impressions match their own. So I know my gear and hearing is translating fairly well with the general public. However, the one thing that I've never understood is how some people find the soundstage to be like that of a concert hall, or show with their arms spread 6 feet apart that the soundstage is this wide, or that they can feel the musicians playing in the room.

To be fair, I did kind of experience this sensation when I had gotten a Sansa Fuze and played with some generic Sony headphones from Costco way back in the day. At the time, I didn't have much experience with decent speakers, so I suppose it was the fact that that experience quickly became that reference point until that part of my life. By the time I had gotten the HD 800, which are much better than the Sansa Fuze and Sony headphones, I had also tried many decent speakers, which took over as the reference point of what music should sound like and be portrayed as. This is why I feel like I've never been blown away with the HD 800 like I was with the Sansa/Sony. The HD 800 couldn't match these speakers.

I wonder if this is why some people are genuinely finding the HD 800 to be that good, because it is their best reference point. Monitors have kind of spoiled my experience with headphones. I don't get that same joy as I used to with headphones in the past. Bittersweet part of audio and life in general.

Dec 17, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #24,487 of 29,017
  Oh thank god, I'm not the only one!

During my time at head-fi, I've shared impressions of several gear and have for the most part gotten feedback that my impressions match their own. So I know my gear and hearing is translating fairly well with the general public. However, the one thing that I've never understood is how some people find the soundstage to be like that of a concert hall, or show with their arms spread 6 feet apart that the soundstage is this wide, or that they can feel the musicians playing in the room.

To be fair, I did kind of experience this sensation when I had gotten a Sansa Fuze and played with some generic Sony headphones from Costco way back in the day. At the time, I didn't have much experience with decent speakers, so I suppose it was the fact that that experience quickly became that reference point until that part of my life. By the time I had gotten the HD 800, which are much better than the Sansa Fuze and Sony headphones, I had also tried many decent speakers, which took over as the reference point of what music should sound like and be portrayed as. This is why I feel like I've never been blown away with the HD 800 like I was with the Sansa/Sony. The HD 800 couldn't match these speakers.

I wonder if this is why some people are genuinely finding the HD 800 to be that good, because it is their best reference point. Monitors have kind of spoiled my experience with headphones. I don't get that same joy as I used to with headphones in the past. Bittersweet part of audio and life in general.

Epic post about soundstage perception
http://www.head-fi.org/a/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-a-review-after-4-years-of-ownership-darth-nuts-epic-review

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #24,488 of 29,017
  Epic post about soundstage perception
http://www.head-fi.org/a/stax-sr-007-omega-ii-a-review-after-4-years-of-ownership-darth-nuts-epic-review

First time I've read this. Simply Brilliant!

Dec 17, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #24,489 of 29,017

I definitely experience non-crossfed headphone soundstage as "three blobs" like Tyll's classic description, unless it's a binaural recording. Currawong is a favorite of mine on here, but the experiences just don't square with mine as far as perception of headstage in headphones. Although I can appreciate a lot of the other ideas in the essay.

Dec 17, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #24,490 of 29,017
I definitely experience non-crossfed headphone soundstage as "three blobs" like Tyll's classic description, unless it's a binaural recording. Currawong is a favorite of mine on here, but the experiences just don't square with mine as far as perception of headstage in headphones. Although I can appreciate a lot of the other ideas in the essay.

In my expereince it really depends on the recording and can change quite a lot depending on what I'm doing while listening to music.
Currawong posted that but Darth nut is the author.

Dec 18, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #24,495 of 29,017
I really don't want to sound like a broken record, but…
If the signal fed to the 800's has the spatial cues properly presented to the 800's you'll hear it.

I have heard instruments that were 30' away, I've heard the entire acoustic space get lit up and heard the original crescendo morph as that same acoustic space changes the acoustic energy as it dissipates and recedes away from the microphones.
I've heard lightening strike several hundred yards away, I've heard a musician cough (uniquely a musicians cough, if ever there was one), I've heard rain drops, in a rain storm.

All of this and more is possible,
IF (and it’s a big if) the signal fed to the 800's delivers those spatial cues and the necessary acoustic energy, properly.
IOW if the entire system is dialed in, including the 800's themselves, the level of articulation and resolution and REALNESS is simply astounding.

IOW 800's can scale like a mutha, but the entire system (including the source material) needs to have been scaled right along with them.

And it has been my experience that this degree of performance doesn't just happen, you have to work for it.
IOW if you buy this or that gear and just plug everything in and don't dial it all in, the level of REALNESS 800's are capable of just isn't going to happen.

Ya gotta work for it.
Trial and error, experimentation, paying attention to those who have reported significant improvements and finding out for yourself, all of these, and more will result in finding just how far 800's can scale.

And yes this can all to easily border on compulsion, audio nervosa (if you let it), obsession, and probably a few other descriptors as well.

But ya gotta remember, this is a HOBBY, an avocation, a compelling way to spend your personal time on something you love to be involved with, to the degree that is appropriate, (or not).

But the rewards are unique to each who pursues these illusive goals.
Yet we all do pursue the challenge of a satisfying musical experience, some just want to see just how far down the rabbit hole they can go.

Yeah, that would be me as well.
But I'm not alone…
Am I?

JJ
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back