The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 24, 2013 at 8:26 AM Post #226 of 29,013
Quote:
What I don't undersand is why would pairs in stock be cheaper than if you had to restock?

It seems to me Jan just adjust prices according to the market while on the fly.

Yes, he could... But some sellers are "more honest" (or just prefer to sell more in quantity for a bit lower) and therefore do not raise prices unless they really have to ( = run out of HD800s distributed for old prices).

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:34 AM Post #227 of 29,013
Quote:

Yes, he could... But some sellers are "more honest" (or just prefer to sell more in quantity for a bit lower) and therefore do not raise prices unless they really have to ( = run out of HD800s distributed for old prices).

If you could elaborate on the "some sellers are more honest'", I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, why would newer HD800 stock cost you more than older? I'm stil a bit confused to that. 

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:41 AM Post #228 of 29,013
Quote:
If you could elaborate on the "some sellers are more honest'", I'd greatly appreciate it.

Also, why would newer HD800 stock cost you more than older? I'm stil a bit confused to that. 

I would like to... But what's so strange about it? (no offense)

Maybe it's different in New Mexico but in Europe, it's normal that you have to re-stock after you (as a seller) simply sell the whole batch you ordered from distributor before. Sennheiser has decided to raise HD800 price because of the huge sales success recently (this is official, I have this information from one of the local certified sellers). And therefore sellers have to react - some raise prices immediately but the majority just wait until they sell the whole "old" batch... There is a competition on the market etc. so you want to sell for the cheapest price possible in order to be prefered by customers, you know?

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:49 AM Post #229 of 29,013
Quote:

I would like to... But what's so strange about it? (no offense)

Maybe it's different in New Mexico but in Europe, it's normal that you have to re-stock after you (as a seller) simply sell the whole batch you ordered from distributor before. Sennheiser has decided to raise HD800 price because of the huge sales success recently (this is official, I have this information from one of the local certified sellers). And therefore sellers have to react - some raise prices immediately but the majority just wait until they sell the whole "old" batch... There is a competition on the market etc. so you want to sell for the cheapest price possible in order to be prefered by customers, you know?

What's strange about that? Well, to me you're implying an HD800 distributor is less honest..somewhere along the line. Just curious.

Perhaps when you put it in that context. I was thinking more along the lines as a distributor you never really necessarily run out of stock.
Specifically I was thinking you'd have both 'old' and 'new' stock at the same time. Therefore, what would justify
raising the costs of one but not the other, for example.

And no, I don't know, sorry. All U.S. distributors seem to have the same exact pricing, where as, across the sea,
pricing seems more freely set.

Feb 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #230 of 29,013
Quote:
What's strange about that? Well, to me you're implying an HD800 distributor is less honest..somewhere along the line. Just curious.

Perhaps when you put it in that context. I was thinking more along the lines as a distributor you never really necessarily run out of stock.
Specifically I was thinking you'd have both 'old' and 'new' stock at the same time. Therefore, what would justify
raising the costs of one but not the other, for example.

And no, I don't know, sorry. All U.S. distributors seem to have the same exact pricing, where as, across the sea,
pricing seems more freely set.

Aah, I finally see your point!

I don't know the situation precisely to be honest... All I know is that there should be one official distributing "source" for several countries in Europe, if not for the whole Europe (maybe less likely). In my opinion, if Sennheiser says "we raise the price of HD800", this (or these) immediately start to distribute for the higher price. However, local sellers themselves do not have to react to this increase immediately because of several reasons mentioned before.

And good point btw - prices in Europe are really different, especially right now... something like from 1250 - 1600USD approximately.

Of course, correct me if I am wrong...

Feb 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #231 of 29,013
Quote:

Aah, I finally see your point!

I don't know the situation precisely to be honest... All I know is that there should be one official distributing "source" for several countries in Europe, if not for the whole Europe (maybe less likely). In my opinion, if Sennheiser says "we raise the price of HD800", this (or these) immediately start to distribute for the higher price. However, local sellers themselves do not have to react to this increase immediately because of several reasons mentioned before.

And good point btw - prices in Europe are really different, especially right now... something like from 1250 - 1600USD approximately.

Of course, correct me if I am wrong...

We were just looking at it from different perspectives. 
I also find it very curious that there never seems to be any deals on the HD800 in the states. I don't have a clue
as to why prices are so firm here and more loose in Europe.

Maybe it's a bit of Apples to Oranges.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM Post #232 of 29,013
Quick question. I had a pair of pc360 and absolutely hated the comfort. You can adjust the length, but not the curvature of it - the first 10 minutes felt fine and then the clamping would set in...

Does the HD800 uses a similar approach? That would be a deal breaker for me.

Thanks for any help.

Feb 24, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #233 of 29,013
The HD800's are light and very comfortable. Better even than my 650's....

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #234 of 29,013
HD800 are possibly the most comfortable high-end headphone from all... Superlight and almost zero clamping force.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:40 AM Post #235 of 29,013
I'm thinking about getting these from HeadRoom or Meier Audio for a reduced price. I had the HD-600 and HD-650 along with the HD-580 years ago, but I sold them over the years. My understanding is the HD-800 is a cut above all of those previous top of the line models from years ago. I know the Sennheiser house sound. But, I was wondering if it's worth getting them. Do I really need an aftermarket cable because they're quite expensive for an already expensive pair of headphones. I'm debating whether I need these at all, but I have a top of the line audio rig at home. Right now, I don't have any top of the line full sized headphones. So, maybe it will be worth it for me. I could get them in the next 3 months sometime in late June this year. Whether I do get them or not, we'll see. I listen to a lot of classical and opera music, but I do listen to Spotify with pop, rock, blues, jazz, and electronic dance music.

I'm also thinking about the Grado PS-1000 at this level, but I'm not sure if they're as neutral or accurate as the HD-800. I don't know if the PS-1000 would be a suitable alternative so I'd like to know the differences from people that own both of them.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM Post #236 of 29,013
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting these from HeadRoom or Meier Audio for a reduced price. I had the HD-600 and HD-650 along with the HD-580 years ago, but I sold them over the years. My understanding is the HD-800 is a cut above all of those previous top of the line models from years ago. I know the Sennheiser house sound. But, I was wondering if it's worth getting them. Do I really need an aftermarket cable because they're quite expensive for an already expensive pair of headphones. I'm debating whether I need these at all, but I have a top of the line audio rig at home. Right now, I don't have any top of the line full sized headphones. So, maybe it will be worth it for me. I could get them in the next 3 months sometime in late June this year. Whether I do get them or not, we'll see. I listen to a lot of classical and opera music, but I do listen to Spotify with pop, rock, blues, jazz, and electronic dance music.

I'm also thinking about the Grado PS-1000 at this level, but I'm not sure if they're as neutral or accurate as the HD-800. I don't know if the PS-1000 would be a suitable alternative so I'd like to know the differences from people that own both of them.

No, cable is needed. Doesn't make ANY difference. Not sure if the HD800 would fit your tastes though, I know that they are amazing for classical.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #237 of 29,013
Quote:

Almost nothing is as neutral and accurate as HD800... It's the best measuring dynamic headphone available today. Huge soundstage, the most precise imaging ever, clear instruments separation and DETAIL.

That said, HD800 sound very different from HD650, for example...

I don't think you have to upgrade your cable since the stock one is REALLY GOOD and it is the only cable available on the market that will work with HD800 completely in the way Sennheiser intended. You should rather focus on pairing the phones with a suitable amplifier in order to get the tonal balance that will suite you tastes.

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #238 of 29,013
I'm trying to get something that is fairly close to my Etymotic ER-4PT with the 4S adapter cable, but in a full sized open design headphone.

Here's my home audio rig:

Meridian 808v5 CD player
HeadRoom Ultra desktop amp with DAC and desktop power supply
Ultimate Ears Ue-18 pro
Etymotic ER-4PT with 4S adapter
Monster Signature Series Pro Power 5100 Power Center UHC
Cardas Clear power, RCA interconnects, USB cabling
LaCie 4Big Quadra 10 TB USB 3.0 external HDD
Western Digital My Passport 2 TB USB 3.0 Portable external HDD
System76 Leopard Extreme desktop PC
System76 Lemur Ultra Thin notebook PC
Verizon FiOS Quantum
ASUS Blu-Ray USB 3.0 12X external CD/DVD/Blu-Ray burner
CrashPlan+ family plan for 3 years

yes, it's true.

I have a System76 Leopard Extreme:

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition 3.50 GHz L2 15 MB - 6 Cores with Hyperthreading
64 GB - 8 x 8 GB - Crucial Elite Quad Channel DDR3 - 1333 MHz
4 GB nVidia GeForce GTX 690 with 3072 CUDA Cores
960 GB: LSI Hardware RAID 0 - 2 x 480 GB Intel 520 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive
CD-RW / DVD-RW Dual Layer [two of them]
Internal SD, Memory Stick, Compact Flash Card Reader
 Internal PCI Express 802.11 bgn
27" Full HD SuperThin Widescreen LED Display (1920 x 1080)
Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard and Performance Mouse
3 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 3 Yr. Technical Support
Asus 12X Blu-Ray USB 3.0 burner
LaCie 4Big Quad 10 TB USB 3.0 HDD
Western Digital My Passport 2 TB USB 3.0 Portable HDD

System76 Lemur Ultra Thin (lemu4):

Intel Core i5-3210M
Corsair Vengeance 2 X 8 [16 GB] 1,600 MHz RAM
Crucial M4 SATA-III 6 GB/s 128 GB SSD
Intel Advanced-N 6230 802.11 BGN
14.1" 1366 X 768 LED
Gigabit Ethernet
2 USB 3.0
1 USB 2.0
SDXC memory card slot
8X DVD burner
4.5 pounds

I have 14,723 320 Kbps MP3s using Fraunhofer and LAME 3.9.9 --preset-insane 320 Kbps bit rate songs.

I also have about 30 gigabytes of 24 bit 192 kHz FLAC files from HD Tracks and Chesky Records.

I know that the HD-800 is accurate and I think that it will fit with my audio system as it is quite accurate and neutral. I also have an older Ray Samuels Audio Emmeline HR-2 and Ray Samuels told me that I don't need an aftermarket cable and he said the HR-2 would be a good match with the HD-800. He has two HD-800s in unbalanced and balanced setups. I would be pairing my HD-800s with the HeadRoom Ultra Desk Amp with DAC and Desktop Power Supply.

I'm thinking the HD-800 would be a good fit in my audio rig. But, I don't know for sure. What do you think?

Feb 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM Post #239 of 29,013
Quote:
I just ordered my pair from Jan over the weekend. Doesn't seem to be sold out quite yet.

What price did you get, I was quoted $1320 shipped?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back