The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #16,922 of 29,017
Going from Shiit Mjolnir to Mjölnir Audio is for sure a little confusing for some.
They have nothing to do with each other but the name based on Nordic saga.
As far as I know Mjölnir Audio (Iceland) is only building electrostatic amps.

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:03 AM Post #16,923 of 29,017
Well I made a pit stop for Questyle cma800r which is a much nicer amp and a lot more sturdy built than Mjolnir.

Well you point it out yourself those two have nothing do you with each other, so not really not fair compering those two, is it :wink:

Both are long gone by now.

Feb 14, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #16,924 of 29,017
  Maybe its just me, but I havent see anything about this mentioned up here

Sennheiser celebrates its anniversary: 70 years of innovation

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/the-pursuit-of-perfect-sound

70th anniversary...so...that means a new flagship right
very_evil_smiley.gif

Zoom

Let me know if you decide to try your Marantz and how it turns out.

I'm considering getting a Yamaha receiver for HD800, they are not that expensive and plenty power or volts.

Yeah, will do it today as soon as I get a chance and report back.

Mjolnir should be good with Audeze, but never tried that combo, only HD800 and HE6.
Built quality on Mjolnir are poor, so I'm done with Schiit gear, IMO.

Hate tubes so not going that rute either, thanks anyway.

I actually really want to try a tube setup once with the HD800 to see how it will sound. Some of the Woo, Stratus/Sonett, EC stuff. It's just that the names of the tubes, rolling this and that, and tube maintenance, warm up time and making sure you don't fall asleep overnight without turning the tubes off - it seems so damn complicated.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:29 AM Post #16,928 of 29,017
Listening to my HD800s.  The 2L Mozart Violin Concertos, Thorsen/Trondheim (24/96) is fantastic this morning - excellent clarity, beautiful tonality, even with my less-than-perfect source.  Soon will be upgrading that (Metrum Octave, NAD M51, PWD MkII...).

I also got out the K701 and SR225i for fun.  

The K701 are really nice for acoustic music, nice sense of space and resolution, but don't have the weight or as much resolution or soundstage as the HD800s.

The SR225i are still fun for guitars (electric or acoustic) even if a big step down from the HD800 in terms of resolution and its sharper, more colored tonality.  Love that mid-bass hump though for a lot of music even if it doesn't have much below that.  Too bad Grado messed up the RS1 with the new RS1e edition (or so I've read).  I was quite interested in having RS1s to complement the HD800s for guitar music.

Happy listening. 
wink.gif

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #16,929 of 29,017
  Listening to my HD800s.  The 2L Mozart Violin Concertos, Thorsen/Trondheim (24/96) is fantastic this morning - excellent clarity, beautiful tonality, even with my less-than-perfect source.  Soon will be upgrading that (Metrum Octave, NAD M51, PWD MkII...).

I also got out the K701 and SR225i for fun.  

The K701 are really nice for acoustic music, nice sense of space and resolution, but don't have the weight or as much resolution or soundstage as the HD800s.

The SR225i are still fun for guitars (electric or acoustic) even if a big step down from the HD800 in terms of resolution and its sharper, more colored tonality.  Love that mid-bass hump though for a lot of music even if it doesn't have much below that.  Too bad Grado messed up the RS1 with the new RS1e edition (or so I've read).  I was quite interested in having RS1s to complement the HD800s for guitar music.

Happy listening. 
wink.gif

Plenty of RS1/RS1i have hit the used market lately. They are a huge step up over the 225/325 (which is where I upgraded from) in terms of imaging, clarity, bass control and smoother/sweeter treble. It really is night and day.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM Post #16,933 of 29,017
Blackmore

Just be sure what you are going into with Stax, they are not as reliable and some 007 have cable problems and some 009 have imbalance issues, plus they Should be kept in box when not used to avoid dust in drivers.

I have owned both 009 and 007 and now are getting HD800 again, they are more fun with the suprême bass slam, where Stax are much more natural sounding, especially with vocals.

Feb 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM Post #16,934 of 29,017
Guys, I was talking about STATS not Stax in particular. I think Sennheiser will release stats to celebrate 70th Anniversary

ksc75smile.gif

Quote:
Lol
I'm affraid to buy HD800 now , and in June there will be an improved HD800 for the same price.

Blackmore

Just be sure what you are going into with Stax, they are not as reliable and some 007 have cable problems and some 009 have imbalance issues, plus they Should be kept in box when not used to avoid dust in drivers.

I have owned both 009 and 007 and now are getting HD800 again, they are more fun with the suprême bass slam, where Stax are much more natural sounding, especially with vocals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back