The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2015 at 10:50 PM Post #16,787 of 29,017
Why do some people state (not in this thread) the WA7 and HD800 are not a good match?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #16,788 of 29,017
Why do some people state (not in this thread) the WA7 and HD800 are not a good match?

People in this thread have stated such things too. The WA7, first of all, has a subpar DAC built-in. Secondly, by the time you upgrade it with the upgrade tubes and get the tube power supply, you're hitting $1500 easily. At that price point, many better amps can be found for the HD800. Heck, Schiit Ragnarok is right there in that price range. Thirdly, the WA7 doesn't let HD800 show it's best quantities, especially micro detail. It makes the sound warm and syrupy. Some people like that. Some don't.

As a amp only, and a starting option, it's a good amp. I'd take a Valhalla 2 at 1/3 the cost for better SQ and value though.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:16 PM Post #16,789 of 29,017
People in this thread have stated such things too. The WA7, first of all, has a subpar DAC built-in. Secondly, by the time you upgrade it with the upgrade tubes and get the tube power supply, you're hitting $1500 easily. At that price point, many better amps can be found for the HD800. Heck, Schiit Ragnarok is right there in that price range. Thirdly, the WA7 doesn't let HD800 show it's best quantities, especially micro detail. It makes the sound warm and syrupy. Some people like that. Some don't.

As a amp only, and a starting option, it's a good amp. I'd take a Valhalla 2 at 1/3 the cost for better SQ and value though.

+1.  WA7 is a nice looking amp and offers decent performance for HD800 but personally, I wouldn't go with it either.  Don't get me wrong!  I am a Woo fan but that's just reality.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #16,790 of 29,017
I suppose I bought the WA7 partly on looks and not knowing I would have interest in the HD800. Somewhat foolish, but I do not regret it. Should I be considering the T1 or PS1000 instead for better performance with the WA7 or will the HD800 still show enough performance from the WA7 to outshine those? I am not looking for the holy grail setup here.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:59 PM Post #16,791 of 29,017
I suppose I bought the WA7 partly on looks and not knowing I would have interest in the HD800. Somewhat foolish, but I do not regret it. Should I be considering the T1 or PS1000 instead for better performance with the WA7 or will the HD800 still show enough performance from the WA7 to outshine those? I am not looking for the holy grail setup here.

HD800 with WA7 or any of your other gear will sounds quite a bit better than PS1000 and T1 for sure. It'll shock you :3

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #16,792 of 29,017

I was in your shoes not long ago, eyeing the WA7.  I love its look and design.  I was lucky enough to listen to all Woo amps and compared.  Then I decided to save couple more months and ended up with WA22.  As for your question, I would still keep HD800/WA7 combo.  I have never been impressed with T1 and PS1000 driven by any amps.  
tongue.gif
  Also, if you plan to have other HPs down the road, WA7 is quite versatile at driving different HPs decently, including IEMs.

Also, make sure you have upgraded tubes in your WA7.  Quite a difference in SQ!

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #16,794 of 29,017
  Is anyone using the O2+ODAC as their exclusive HD800 setup? or do you people feel they are not good enough for the HD800?

I used this combo for round about one year and missed nothing.
But only for validation I have done a test between this combo and my NAD CD Player and Brston BHA-1 and I was not able to hear any difference.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:03 AM Post #16,796 of 29,017
I disagree with that. The HD800 was one of the few headphones I have owned where I was able to tell the difference easily within the same level. The other headphones are the SR007 and HE-6. Previously, at the same level of gear it was difficult without listening for it but the HD800 is resolving enough.

While the O2/odac can sound good it will not be to the potential the HD800. Whether that is fine or not is up to you to decide.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:04 AM Post #16,797 of 29,017
  Thanks.
I currently have the Geek Out 720, is there any point in selling it and getting the O2+ODAC instead?
I can't afford anything better than that because the HD800 is very expensive as it is 
o2smile.gif

the LH Labs Geek Out, any of the models 450 to 1000, with the latest firmware and driver update, will beat the O2+ODAC silly ... O2+ODAC is outdated design now, and it sounds meh and more meh with the HD800.

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #16,798 of 29,017
  I was in your shoes not long ago, eyeing the WA7.  I love its look and design.  I was lucky enough to listen to all Woo amps and compared.  Then I decided to save couple more months and ended up with WA22.  As for your question, I would still keep HD800/WA7 combo.  I have never been impressed with T1 and PS1000 driven by any amps.  
tongue.gif
  Also, if you plan to have other HPs down the road, WA7 is quite versatile at driving different HPs decently, including IEMs.

Also, make sure you have upgraded tubes in your WA7.  Quite a difference in SQ!

That all makes sense. I was a little worried that the WA7 was not a good match for the HD800 at all based on some recent posts I had seen. But you guys have settled that. My concern is when I go to audition the the T1, HD800, and PS1K it will not be on a WA7 so the results might be very different for the HD800 at home. But that is always a risk..

I just do not want to purchase the HD800 and then cripple them with the WA7. Putting sound tastes aside, does the WA7 power the HD800 well enough to put them on the same level as the PS1K and T1 (also powered by the WA7) in terms of potential?

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:59 AM Post #16,799 of 29,017

That all makes sense. I was a little worried that the WA7 was not a good match for the HD800 at all based on some recent posts I had seen. But you guys have settled that. My concern is when I go to audition the the T1, HD800, and PS1K it will not be on a WA7 so the results might be very different for the HD800 at home. But that is always a risk..

I just do not want to purchase the HD800 and then cripple them with the WA7. Putting sound tastes aside, does the WA7 power the HD800 well enough to put them on the same level as the PS1K and T1 (also powered by the WA7) in terms of potential?

Once again, the HD800 powered by a regular sound card output will put both PS1K and T1 to shame out of your WA7. The other two headphones are just not in the same league as the HD800 in terms of soundstage, sound quality, and details and accuracy, no matter how they are driven.

WA7 and the HD800 are a good match, loved by many, so try it and let us know :D

Also, I'd seriously look into getting the upgrade tubes at some point in the future, and perhaps the tube power supply at some other further point in the future :p

Feb 10, 2015 at 10:03 AM Post #16,800 of 29,017

Once again, the HD800 powered by a regular sound card output will put both PS1K and T1 to shame out of your WA7. The other two headphones are just not in the same league as the HD800 in terms of soundstage, sound quality, and details and accuracy, no matter how they are driven.

WA7 and the HD800 are a good match, loved by many, so try it and let us know :D

Also, I'd seriously look into getting the upgrade tubes at some point in the future, and perhaps the tube power supply at some other further point in the future :p

I have the tube power supply and will be purchasing the upgraded tubes in the future. I want to give the stock tubes a fair trial so I can truly appreciate the difference in sound of the upgraded tubes

Users who are viewing this thread

Back