The (new) HD800 Impressions Thread
Apr 14, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #28,981 of 28,989
Ok thanks. I decided to put the HD800 which is pretty much new up for sale as I can't bare the 6khz peak as I'm pretty young and my CD-Player obv doesn't have EQ and yeah, I don't have the money to upgrade the equipment too, so I decided to let it go even though it´s the best I've heard for raw detail and soundstage so far. So if I can make anyone happy I got it up for sale here. Maybe I'll buy the S version to use without EQ in a couple of months or years when I can afford proper equipment. :frowning2:
800S will not help you. What’s the rest of your gear and your sound preference?

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #28,982 of 28,989
I think if people stopped listening to other's tell them what their gear should sound like, a lot more people would be happy with what they have.

When I choose to buy any gear, it's never because someone told me what I needed, it's because I researched and found out on my own what was important to me. Listening to some naysayers, I wouldn't have what I have, but I didn't listen to them, and I'm very happy with what got. In short, I never ask people what I should buy. I research first.

That's not to say, you can't ask opinions, but if you don't know what you want to begin with, how can you know the person's opinion is in alignment with your needs?

My one core suggestion is to figure out what you want before you start asking questions - do you want bright, lean, dark, warm, detailed? Here reading / watching video reviews of gear can give you a great idea of what's what and what you may want. Once you figure that out, then the question(s) you ask begin to take shape and meaning.

It also helps to understand, nothing is perfect - there will always be a plus/minus factor in anything you choose. And no matter what you get there's always better, so....

Good luck.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:38 PM Post #28,983 of 28,989
800S will not help you. What’s the rest of your gear and your sound preference?
I do like the sound of the HD800 all in all. I just can't bear the peak. It doesn't sound sibilant to me, but rather fatuigung after a couple of minutes without me being able to point out which element of the music just caused that at all.
Normally I'd say I like neutral or extreme tunings. I like a clean midrange, so not much midbass, as much subbass as possible and a good level of treble, but I need it to be even if its that much. Pinna shouldn't be too much as well. A great example is the IE600 with good subbass and a lot of treble, but clean one. Dead-neutral tuning works well for me too such as HD560S or Softears Studio 4.

As amplifiers I have the Dx3 Pro+, Fiio K7 and Questyle M15, but none of them solves the peak without EQ.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #28,984 of 28,989
I do like the sound of the HD800 all in all. I just can't bear the peak. It doesn't sound sibilant to me, but rather fatuigung after a couple of minutes without me being able to point out which element of the music just caused that at all.
Normally I'd say I like neutral or extreme tunings. I like a clean midrange, so not much midbass, as much subbass as possible and a good level of treble, but I need it to be even if its that much. Pinna shouldn't be too much as well. A great example is the IE600 with good subbass and a lot of treble, but clean one. Dead-neutral tuning works well for me too such as HD560S or Softears Studio 4.

As amplifiers I have the Dx3 Pro+, Fiio K7 and Questyle M15, but none of them solves the peak without EQ.
Have you tried the SDR mod? PM "Sorrodje" if interested he may still have some.

And a little light reading if you want more info and another option:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-hd800-ultimate-maxx-mod.879024/

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 4:15 PM Post #28,985 of 28,989
Have you tried the SDR mod? PM "Sorrodje" if interested he may still have some.

And a little light reading if you want more info and another option:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/senn-hd800-ultimate-maxx-mod.879024/
Thank you very much. I'll think about modding it, but I'm not sure as its in brand new condition and maybe looses value after modding it. I got up for sale rn as I have a lot of exams now anyway, but I'll dive deeper into it after them. Would really appreciate the money rn though, because as a student I'd need the money to fund my vacation after the exams :k701smile:

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #28,986 of 28,989

If 6khz is your only issue get 800S add 4 plys of toilet paper in front of driver. If sounds too laid back remove 1 ply at a time. Alternatively, NDH30 but the treble is not as emphasized; more like in room speaker response. E3 is also a good contender but your gear will not drive them well. LCDX will also work but upper mid needs some EQ. Composer will also work but you will give up some smooth and harmonically rich mid for better sub bass and Composer is also a bright leaning headphones. Utopia OG is also a contender but you don’t have the gear to get good sub bass. ZMF Auteur Classic is also good but may have too much mid bass hump and too laid back on the treble for your liking.

So no perfect answer in other words. Perhaps upgrade your gear if you want to max out 800/800S?

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #28,987 of 28,989
If 6khz is your only issue get 800S add 4 plys of toilet paper in front of driver. If sounds too laid back remove 1 ply at a time. Alternatively, NDH30 but the treble is not as emphasized; more like in room speaker response. E3 is also a good contender but your gear will not drive them well. LCDX will also work but upper mid needs some EQ. Composer will also work but you will give up some smooth and harmonically rich mid for better sub bass and Composer is also a bright leaning headphones. Utopia OG is also a contender but you don’t have the gear to get good sub bass. ZMF Auteur Classic is also good but may have too much mid bass hump and too laid back on the treble for your liking.

So no perfect answer in other words. Perhaps upgrade your gear if you want to max out 800/800S?
Thank you very much for this guide. I'll look into it after my exams! I'm more of a IEM guy anyways, but the HD800 just has that last bit of resolution I was missing :)

Apr 14, 2024 at 7:50 PM Post #28,989 of 28,989

Users who are viewing this thread

Back