The new guy
Jul 28, 2015 at 3:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

iamtehstig

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, 
I'm new to the forum and wanted to make an intro so I'm not just the guy lurking the site. 

I am fairly new to the hi-fi game, but I am doing my best to learn it all quickly. Right now my set-up is a headless player/ DAC made from a Raspberry Pi 2 with a Hifiberry DAC running Volumio. 
At the moment I am just running that to a set of Yamaha YST-MS50 powered speakers. I would put them above average, but I am looking to do better than they can output. 

I also have a set of Sennheiser HHD558 headphones, but I currently don't have a good amp for them. I will be fixing that soon, by building an SSMH to use with my Rapsberry Pi.

I operate a music store in Florida, so sound quality is a big deal to me. Hearing everything live for so long makes audio compression painful. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 14
Make sure your audio files aren't compressed.

Also, the HD558s are low-mid end headphones. You'll have to spend more if you want the best SQ.

Most of my "hi-fi" collection is in FLAC 24-192.

I'm aware that my headphones are not the best; what is your recommendation in the mid range? My budget isn't unlimited, but I am not against upgrading. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #4 of 14
What is your budget for your future headphones and amp?

When you say music store, do you mean CD shop, musical instruments, or what? Back when I lived in the Melbourne, Florida area, I was in a wind ensemble, orchestra, jazz band, and metal band. haha. The music store and Florida thing reminded me of all that.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 14
What is your budget for your future headphones and amp?

When you say music store, do you mean CD shop, musical instruments, or what? Back when I lived in the Melbourne, Florida area, I was in a wind ensemble, orchestra, jazz band, and metal band. haha. The music store and Florida thing reminded me of all that.

Preferably not more than $400.

The store is a band and orchestra supply store in the panhandle. Most of the sales are wind instruments, with some electronic amplification for the area high schools.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:24 PM Post #6 of 14
Preferably not more than $400.

Okay, so for the headphones and amp together, you don't want to spend over $400, and you don't plan on getting anything else, right? My highest recommendation would be an electrostatic system, simply because they sound more realistic to me than dynamic and planar magnetic headphones. And that's even comparing low-end electrostats to the most expensive non-electrostats. Some electrostatic systems can be found on eBay for great prices, but you have to be vigilant.

If being tied to an amp like that isn't something you would want to do, I can tell you about other stuff I like, but the sound quality won't be as good.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #7 of 14
If you like the HD558, you should be able to upgrade to an HD600 and still have funds leftover for an amp.

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #8 of 14

Okay, so for the headphones and amp together, you don't want to spend over $400, and you don't plan on getting anything else, right? My highest recommendation would be an electrostatic system, simply because they sound more realistic to me than dynamic and planar magnetic headphones. And that's even comparing low-end electrostats to the most expensive non-electrostats. Some electrostatic systems can be found on eBay for great prices, but you have to be vigilant.

If being tied to an amp like that isn't something you would want to do, I can tell you about other stuff I like, but the sound quality won't be as good.

If you like the HD558, you should be able to upgrade to an HD600 and still have funds leftover for an amp.

Like I said in my first post, I am getting the parts together for an SSMH amp, would that be satisfactory for a mid range pair of headphones?

I am attracted to the SSMH because I do equipment repairs at work and I have access to most of the parts needed at cost including new tubes. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 14
   Like I said in my first post, I am getting the parts together for an SSMH amp, would that be satisfactory for a mid range pair of headphones?

I am attracted to the SSMH because I do equipment repairs at work and I have access to most of the parts needed at cost including new tubes. 

Seems good, according to the description on the website. It wouldn't work with electrostatic headphones, though. (They require either an electrostatic headphone amp or an adapter powered by a speaker amp.) I used to own the HD 650, which was excellent in many ways. Haven't heard the HD 600, but since people say it's similar but more neutral, it should be a good choice, if you don't go for electrostats instead.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #10 of 14
The HD558 does not need an amp, so don't lose sleep over not having one. Really, you don't even need to worry about an amp until you get/are going to get a pair of headphones that require dedicated amping.

But in that range, the HD600 is fantastic. It is very neutral, so you might find a few pairs that are better in certain genres, but as an open, all-around performer, they should be great. I only had some brief time with the HD650, but they were quite similar. I think the 650 is supposed to be a bit warmer (less neutral), and perhaps a tad more forgiving (it's also a bit more efficient).

Also--because no one else said it--Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

Jul 28, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #11 of 14
The HD558 does not need an amp, so don't lose sleep over not having one. Really, you don't even need to worry about an amp until you get/are going to get a pair of headphones that require dedicated amping.

But in that range, the HD600 is fantastic. It is very neutral, so you might find a few pairs that are better in certain genres, but as an open, all-around performer, they should be great. I only had some brief time with the HD650, but they were quite similar. I think the 650 is supposed to be a bit warmer (less neutral), and perhaps a tad more forgiving (it's also a bit more efficient).

Also--because no one else said it--Welcome to Head-Fi! Sorry about your wallet.

The only reason I am concerned with the amp right now is because the Hifiberry DAC only provides line level output. It cant drive the headphones I have with much volume at all. 

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #12 of 14

This thread would be a good place to ask that question: http://www.head-fi.org/t/319231/millett-starving-student-hybrid-amp

:)

Jul 28, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 14
The only reason I am concerned with the amp right now is because the Hifiberry DAC only provides line level output. It cant drive the headphones I have with much volume at all. 
Ah...I must have missed that. I haven't personally built a Starving Student amp, but it does seem like a fun and versatile build. Hey, it even offers tubes for a taste of that world!

The effect on the HD558 might not be much, but the I assume that the Starving Student should offer enough power and versatility for other headphones as well, if you choose to step into a higher tier of headphones.

Jul 28, 2015 at 11:56 PM Post #14 of 14
  Hello everyone, 
I'm new to the forum and wanted to make an intro so I'm not just the guy lurking the site. 

I am fairly new to the hi-fi game, but I am doing my best to learn it all quickly. Right now my set-up is a headless player/ DAC made from a Raspberry Pi 2 with a Hifiberry DAC running Volumio. 
At the moment I am just running that to a set of Yamaha YST-MS50 powered speakers. I would put them above average, but I am looking to do better than they can output. 

I also have a set of Sennheiser HHD558 headphones, but I currently don't have a good amp for them. I will be fixing that soon, by building an SSMH to use with my Rapsberry Pi.

I operate a music store in Florida, so sound quality is a big deal to me. Hearing everything live for so long makes audio compression painful. 

Hi! 

First, welcome! 

Second, I think it's kind of harsh the first comment anyone says is "throw more money into the hobby!"

Honestly, reading your comment a few times it seems like you're on the right path. Is there anything you don't like about the HD558? Are you looking to upgrade them at all? The last lesson I learned about hifi is to just enjoy the music. It's easy to get caught up with all the headphone and amps and gear, but you should really focus on the music. Since you mention your speakers first, do you prefer speakers or headphones?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back