The New Enleum AMP-23R Amplifier (Successor to Bakoon AMP-13R) Thread
Aug 6, 2023 at 8:26 AM Post #1,683 of 1,892
Not sure what that means. I have RCA out from DAVE to ENLEUM set on high gain. If the ENLUEM is set as an integrated can I still use the DAVE for volume cont
You can use either the DAVE or the 23R to control the volume. I would try both to see which one you prefer. I use my Woo WA23 as a preamp for the 23R and I control the volume with the 23R only because it has a remote control. I also use my Woo WA23 as a headphone amp direct by using its HP/Pre switch. For my preferences, I prefer the 23R with the WA23 as a preamp to the 23R as an integrated amp.

The quality of the preamp used with the 23R makes a difference. I've tried 3 different preamps, an Audio By Van Alstine FET Valve CF vacuum tube preamp, the Holo Audio Serene, and the Woo WA23. All 3 were very good but the WA23 used as preamp is special. It provided the most spacious soundstage, most precise imaging, and the midrange and treble are improved imo. I also really like the WA23 as a headphone amp so it's doing double duty.

I think the main advantage of using a preamp with the 23R is to use a vacuum tube preamp to provide a tube amp sound if one prefers tubes like I do. I've tried my Holo Serene solid state preamp (it's a very transparent preamp and I use it in my speaker system as a preamp) with the 23R but I don't think it changed the sound signature of the 23R because it's so transparent.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #1,686 of 1,892
Whatever else i think of the Enleum I’ve had on demo I have to say I adore the relay clicks. Vive la difference :)
Agree. I have no isssue regarding volume control clicks. I have components with remotes that don't click and some that do, it doesn't matter to me.

Aug 6, 2023 at 11:59 AM Post #1,687 of 1,892
Agree. I have no isssue regarding volume control clicks. I have components with remotes that don't click and some that do, it doesn't matter to me.
So you mean while the selection is playing when adjusting for passages louder than others your don’t mind hearing the clicks while the music is playing through your headphones? I am not referring to the audible clicks with headphones off.

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #1,688 of 1,892
According to the DAVE manual, the volume control is digital so can connect directly to a power amp without a preamp. My only question is what is the best volume setting on the ENLEUM to have the best SQ at normal listening levels adjusted by the DAVE’s digital volume control?

Aug 6, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #1,689 of 1,892
So you mean while the selection is playing when adjusting for passages louder than others your don’t mind hearing the clicks while the music is playing through your headphones? I am not referring to the audible clicks with headphones off.
I can’t see why you would.

Every album is recorded at different levels so each requires an adjustment at the outset. Big deal. Some headphones transmit cable movement. Open backs let in the sound of your neighbour ringing the door bell. The sound of doors opening and closing. Traffic passing by. A click as you adjust the volume to an acceptable level is nothing. Begs the question as to how much research you did before purchase. It’s how the amp works and has been how it did so from day one. Whether the clicks transmit through speakers or headphones appears to depend on your kit and the mood of the Enleum but, ultimately, so what? You either like the sound and love the quirks or you don't. Buying one without knowing about this is ultimately on you.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2023 at 4:01 PM Post #1,691 of 1,892
It doesn't bother me a bit. Regarding the best volume setting on the Enleum when using your DAVE as a preamp, I don't think the volume setting on the Enleum will affect the sound quality since it's a gain control not an attenuator. You can set the 23R's gain control wherever you like to get the DAVE's volume control in the range you want. The Enleum's gain control setting doesn't affect its signal to noise ratio so you can set wherever you want. My dealer suggested to me that when using a preamp in front of the Enleum, set the volume control on the preamp to its sweet spot (most preamps have a range where they sound best) and then use the Enleum to adjust the volume.

Aug 6, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #1,692 of 1,892
According to the DAVE manual, the volume control is digital so can connect directly to a power amp without a preamp. My only question is what is the best volume setting on the ENLEUM to have the best SQ at normal listening levels adjusted by the DAVE’s digital volume control?

There is technically no "best" volume on the Enleum, that is the beauty of its volume control. You are technically changing the gain of the amp. So the answer is keep it where you have the best usable volume range and lowest noise. As my Enleum is being used in a mixed use environment in a living room I rely on digital volume control on my DAC/preamp, so I just keep the Enleum at 12 o'clock as if I crank it I get more noise out of my speakers, and I have hardly any usable volume range on my DAC/pre. As you are using digital volume control, I would try to keep the Enleum at a point where you are in the upper half of your DAVE volume control so you are not experiencing significant lose in resolution/dynamics from digital attenuation.

Aug 6, 2023 at 6:19 PM Post #1,694 of 1,892
I think it is. I put my enleum at the top where there are no walls to block any air. It's normal that it gets hot though. Like almost too hot to touch. When I had it on the bottom of the shelf it was much hotter. You don't have a faulty amp, it's completely normal.
My recall was that the poster turned the amp off overnight but was waking to it being toasty hot. Absolutely not normal at all.

Aug 7, 2023 at 2:22 AM Post #1,695 of 1,892
My recall was that the poster turned the amp off overnight but was waking to it being toasty hot. Absolutely not normal at all.
Yes that happened once (first post) but has not recurred since. This has got me thinking if i was delusional that it was really off. I'm almost 100% sure it was though. I'll continue to check in the mornings.
The latest post was about the extreme heat after being left on overnight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back