The New Enleum AMP-23R Amplifier (Successor to Bakoon AMP-13R) Thread
Dec 17, 2021 at 6:14 AM Post #61 of 1,892
The Enleum is a single ended amp, which means it only takes RCA as inputs (It also has proprietary inputs, but let's ignore them for the sake of simplicity). Further, it doesn't need a pre-amp as it has a volume/gain control.

What DAC are you using? The best way is to hook up your DAC via RCA directly to the Enleum. If you are using the DAC in the Moon, I'd connect the fixed output RCA on the Moon to the Enleum. Still, if you plan on using the Enleum as your primary headphone amp, you are better off selling the Moon and buying a standalone DAC in that price range - which will be much better than the DAC in the 430HA.

Using the Moon as a pre-amp will definitely change the sound; you ideally want a direct feed from a DAC. I'm not sure that you get that from the fixed out from the Moon (you might), but it's your best option until you get a standalone DAC (unless you already have one - where you should take the Moon out of the signal path to the Enleum entirely).
Super helpful! This is the downside of 2 minutes of DYI research by a layperson. I have the 780D stand-alone streaming DAC by Moon/Simaudio also, and so could use that.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #62 of 1,892
Super helpful! This is the downside of 2 minutes of DYI research by a layperson. I have the 780D stand-alone streaming DAC by Moon/Asim audio also, and so could use that.

Now your talking! That's a helluva DAC! Hook that up to the Enleum, and you're in serious business.

Dec 17, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #63 of 1,892
Please let us know how the Susvara sounds with your ENLEUM.
The Susvara sounds stunningly good out of the 23R. Tonality and timbre are very natural. The soundstge is wide, layered and very deep. Images are well defined and seemingly suspended in space. Listening to the Susvara through this amp puts a big smile on my face. I couldn’t be happier with the purchase of this amp.

Dec 17, 2021 at 7:59 PM Post #64 of 1,892
My Enleum 23R arrived today. I really can't add much that hasn't already been said about this fantastic amp. I'm using the 23R with the Aurender W20SE streamer/server connected to a Holo May KTE DAC. For CDs and SACDs, I use my PS Audio PST SACD transport connected via a I2S cable to the May KTE. I'm totally impressed with the layered soundstage and inky black background. Bass is tight and extended so if you're a bass fan, this amp does it incredibly well with the 1266TC. I only have about 8 hours of burn-in on the amp but it's really great with very little time on it. This amp has exceeded my expectations, and that's coming from a long time tube amp fan. After I get some more hours on it, I plan to try it driving my Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers.

1639535861120.png1639535902203.png1639536045340.png
Congrats man...looking forward to your impressions. I'm gonna start putting pen to paper next week on my review and it should be out early in 2022.

Dec 17, 2021 at 8:13 PM Post #66 of 1,892
Congrats man...looking forward to your impressions. I'm gonna start putting pen to paper next week on my review and it should be out early in 2022.
Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading your review!

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:24 PM Post #67 of 1,892
My Enleum 23R arrived today. I really can't add much that hasn't already been said about this fantastic amp. I'm using the 23R with the Aurender W20SE streamer/server connected to a Holo May KTE DAC. For CDs and SACDs, I use my PS Audio PST SACD transport connected via a I2S cable to the May KTE. I'm totally impressed with the layered soundstage and inky black background. Bass is tight and extended so if you're a bass fan, this amp does it incredibly well with the 1266TC. I only have about 8 hours of burn-in on the amp but it's really great with very little time on it. This amp has exceeded my expectations, and that's coming from a long time tube amp fan. After I get some more hours on it, I plan to try it driving my Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers.

I have a Holo

Dec 17, 2021 at 11:29 PM Post #68 of 1,892

I have a Holo May KTE on order that will be mated with my Amp-23r. It was nice to hear that you are having great results running single ended (RCA) out of the DAC.

Dec 18, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #69 of 1,892
I have a Holo May KTE on order that will be mated with my Amp-23r. It was nice to hear that you are having great results running single ended (RCA) out of the DAC.
No worries, the single ended outputs of the May KTE sound great into the 23R. You’ll be happy, guaranteed!

Dec 19, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #70 of 1,892
I am in need of a direct comparison between Wells Audio Headtrip ii and the Enleum Amp 23-R. I currently run the Milo and love it, and have high end XLR's being made for an audition with Headtrip ii in January, BUT now i hear about this Bakoon reboot/improvement, and i need to know what are the differences and how does it sit in comparison. The much smaller form factor and lower price do appeal to me, but i am loving the sound out of the milo, it just has a 60hz hum on my Stealth and i need the external power supply option for headtrip ii.

Please let me know if you have heard both with susvara for an A/B thanks!

Dec 19, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #71 of 1,892
It does, but according to Woo the XLR to RCAs are ok. Don't know if it would affect sound quality significantly.
On another topic, I have a set of Omega loudspeakers with speaker cables made to connect my CHORD DAVE DAC RCA OUT to the speakers with spades on the other end. So I bought an RCA to banana plug adapter for use with the ENLEUM AMP and just want to confirm that I am hooking it up correctly. SEE PHOTOS.
I assume that the red banana plug goes to the plus out jack and the black banana plug to the (-) jack on the ENLEUM speaker out terminals??

Attachments

• 14248BE3-396A-40BF-A22B-0D72C93B0F3F.jpeg
    14248BE3-396A-40BF-A22B-0D72C93B0F3F.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • D62795F6-A666-4621-9C83-F61132FBFB55.jpeg
    D62795F6-A666-4621-9C83-F61132FBFB55.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • FADB8D9B-19B4-4E04-B0AA-6EFFDC30DAE4.jpeg
    FADB8D9B-19B4-4E04-B0AA-6EFFDC30DAE4.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Dec 19, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #72 of 1,892
On another topic, I have a set of Omega loudspeakers with speaker cables made to connect my CHORD DAVE DAC RCA OUT to the speakers with spades on the other end. So I bought an RCA to banana plug adapter for use with the ENLEUM AMP and just want to confirm that I am hooking it up correctly. SEE PHOTOS.
I assume that the red banana plug goes to the plus out jack and the black banana plug to the (-) jack on the ENLEUM speaker out terminals??
It doesn't really matter as long as you hook up both speakers the same way, otherwise they'll be out of phase. But yes, red is usually connected to the positive terminal.

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #73 of 1,892
is this a headphone amp for all seasons? Did you try any dynamic driver headphones or more efficient and higher impedance ones like the ZMF Vérité? Does the low gain setting still have the magic? I keep reading about the AB1266 Phi TC and the Susvara, both are difficult loads. I’m still wondering what the 23R will do for more main stream load phones?
The 23R is a great amp for the Verite Open. In the past, I've used an Auris Nirvana and a Luxman P700u to drive the VO. I like the 23R better than those two amps. The soundstage is wide and very deep with a lot of space between images. I expected this amp to do well with the Susvara, and it does, but I've been pleasantly surprised how well it mates with the VO. The tonality and timbre is as good as I've ever heard. This definitely is an amp for all seasons.

Dec 22, 2021 at 7:58 PM Post #74 of 1,892
I was smiling ear-to-ear with the LCD-5 and this amazing amplifier!!! Needed low gain and the blackest of backgrounds with plenty of punch, dynamics and overall transparency!!!

Dec 23, 2021 at 9:09 AM Post #75 of 1,892
I was smiling ear-to-ear with the LCD-5 and this amazing amplifier!!! Needed low gain and the blackest of backgrounds with plenty of punch, dynamics and overall transparency!!!

It mates well with all my headphones - but I've found the synergy with the LCD-4 particularly amazing. Can't wait to join the LCD-5 party soon. I finally found a solid state amp I really enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back