The New Enleum AMP-23R Amplifier (Successor to Bakoon AMP-13R) Thread
Dec 5, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #31 of 1,892
According to the Enleum web site, the max gain is identical (22.5 dB) between the speaker taps and the headphone jack in high gain mode. Unless I'm missing something, there's no additional risk to using the speaker taps. It would seem that the best choice (headphone jack vs. speaker taps) might come down to whether one has a cable terminated with a 1/4" jack or a 4-pin XLR.
Then why bother then and lose all the convenience?

Dec 5, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #32 of 1,892
(deleted)

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2021 at 4:16 PM Post #33 of 1,892
is this a headphone amp for all seasons? Did you try any dynamic driver headphones or more efficient and higher impedance ones like the ZMF Vérité? Does the low gain setting still have the magic? I keep reading about the AB1266 Phi TC and the Susvara, both are difficult loads. I’m still wondering what the 23R will do for more main stream load phones?

Dec 6, 2021 at 7:21 PM Post #34 of 1,892
is this a headphone amp for all seasons? Did you try any dynamic driver headphones or more efficient and higher impedance ones like the ZMF Vérité? Does the low gain setting still have the magic? I keep reading about the AB1266 Phi TC and the Susvara, both are difficult loads. I’m still wondering what the 23R will do for more main stream load phones?
It was dead quiet with the Focal Utopia, LCD-5 (which are now quite efficient) and the new DT700 and DT900 Pro X (both 48 ohms and 100dB/mW). Think: the blackest of backgrounds with these headphones!

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #35 of 1,892
From the folks at Enleum:

"Everything is shared between the speakers and headphones, except the output connector (obviously) and output relay, which we used smaller current rated one for headphones protection. They will sound exactly the same if it’s on high gain. You don’t really have to use the speaker taps for headphones."

Hope this helps fellas! So you end up with a smaller current relay on the headphone output to protect your head phones...seems like the best way to enjoy your headphones with this amplifier. On High Gain, you can't take the volume to 11:30 with the Susvara...way, way too loud. So plenty of headroom!

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #36 of 1,892
From the folks at Enleum:

"Everything is shared between the speakers and headphones, except the output connector (obviously) and output relay, which we used smaller current rated one for headphones protection. They will sound exactly the same if it’s on high gain. You don’t really have to use the speaker taps for headphones."

Hope this helps fellas! So you end up with a smaller current relay on the headphone output to protect your head phones...seems like the best way to enjoy your headphones with this amplifier. On High Gain, you can't take the volume to 11:30 with the Susvara...way, way too loud. So plenty of headroom!
Does their statement mean that the trick to set the HP to High Gain/V2 is not needed? You said Susvaras sounded better after you did the trick right?

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #37 of 1,892
Does their statement mean that the trick to set the HP to High Gain/V2 is not needed? You said Susvaras sounded better after you did the trick right?
I prefer the Susvara and Phi TC on High Gain...so that is my default for them. For anything else, I'm using Low Gain.

Dec 6, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #38 of 1,892
ok thanks

Dec 7, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #39 of 1,892
Setting the gain to high gain from low gain on the 13R or 23R only modifies the maximum decibel output, thus increasing the dB output per attenuator step. This is because the 'volume' knob is actually a gain control knob. Instead of adjusting volume for loudness, you're adjusting gain for loudness. This means that 7 dB out in low gain should sound exactly like 7 dB out in high gain, granted the attenuator can level match to 7 dB in one of its steps while in high gain mode.

The Susvara and 1266 TC may sound better in high gain mode because the listener prefers listening at louder levels than 7 dB. With the Susvara and the 13R, I use high gain mode because whenever headphones are unplugged or plugged in, the attenuator resets to 0/50 steps. With low gain, I have to go all the way back up to ~50 steps to get the volume I prefer. With high gain, I'm good around 25 - 30 steps and have some additional room for quieter tracks. I'd imagine this is even more of a tedious process with the Enleum's 1,024 stepped attenuator.

Dec 8, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #40 of 1,892
How does this compare to the Ferrum OOR with Hypsos? I can get the 23R for $7000 CAD but can get OOR and Hypsos for $4200. I don’t know if it’s worth paying almost $3000 more just for an amp and still needing to spend more money on a dac on top unless it’s an absolutely mind blowing difference. I’ve read people saying that the OOR is one of the best pairings with the Susvara with one reviewer who listed 22 headphone amp combinations he’s heard with the susvaras and rated each of them and the best headphone amp he heard paired with it was the OOR with Hypsos. So I’m just having trouble seeing how this could bring $3000 more in value compared to something that some people consider to be at the top.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #41 of 1,892
The amp at 10 o’clock is incredibly loud with the Susvara on high gain and why would I risk blowing out my $6,500 headphones? Speakers? I haven tried that yet, but Headphone.Guru is dedicated towards personal audio, so not likely I’ll cover that in my review. But I’ll try to report back here on this thread with reg to speakers. 🙂
Eagerly awaiting your review!!

Dec 9, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #42 of 1,892
I'm really glad to see @MacedonianHero started a thread on this amp.

I absolutely love it. It's the best SS amp across all my main headphones (Abyss TC, Susvara, LCD-4), that I've ever heard - by a significant margin. Comparing to Formula S/Powerman, Violectric V281, and Benchmark HPA4 (I've heard others as well at meets, but those I've either owned or had in my home for extended periods). It's also dead quiet. I've tried it with some more sensitive headphones like the Aeon open and closed, and it has a completely black background.

I compared it to my Woo Wa33 Elite and wrote some impressions in the Susvara thread here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hifiman-susvara.853031/post-16695754

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #43 of 1,892
Can somebody try it please with a Grado? In my experience they show if there is any noise. HEMP for example has almost IEM sensitivity...

Dec 11, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #44 of 1,892
I really would like to know what your thoughts are about this. Also about the Abyss AB1266 Phi TC on it as I’m currently torn on getting either the abyss or susvara on this amp.
I have this amp now using it with CHORD DAVE and Upscaler, Susvara with Norne S3C cable on high gain setting. I can’t imagine anything better than this combination. Still not even burned in if that makes a difference, and the detail retrieval, layering and separation of instruments and voice are outstanding. Bass response is quick and punchy without overshadowing detailed treble response that is never sibilant or harsh. Everything is well integrated and smooth. This amp gives the Susvara an overall balance that can’t be described. Sound appears suspended from a black void and sound stage is so open you forget you are wearing headphones at times. Listing to Adele’s new 30 album. Every inflection in her voice and movement of her lips can be heard and appreciated. She is there with you in an open acoustic space. Very intriguing. Highly recommended pairing with Susvara!

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #45 of 1,892
My Enleum 23R arrived today. I really can't add much that hasn't already been said about this fantastic amp. I'm using the 23R with the Aurender W20SE streamer/server connected to a Holo May KTE DAC. For CDs and SACDs, I use my PS Audio PST SACD transport connected via a I2S cable to the May KTE. I'm totally impressed with the layered soundstage and inky black background. Bass is tight and extended so if you're a bass fan, this amp does it incredibly well with the 1266TC. I only have about 8 hours of burn-in on the amp but it's really great with very little time on it. This amp has exceeded my expectations, and that's coming from a long time tube amp fan. After I get some more hours on it, I plan to try it driving my Klipsch Cornwall IV speakers.

1639535861120.png
1639535902203.png
1639536045340.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back